Starting Rescue Branches In Other States

I have noticed a rescue who has been up and running about 6-7 months now has started branches in other states the other day they added 5 new branches from vic to nsw to qlds are there laws that they will need to follow that differ from state to state? Is there any point to have multiple branches? I am a bit concerned as they are hand in hand with another group that isnt a rescue more of a brokering company for pound dogs and I fear for the dogs that will be carted all over the country and if they are not following laws the dogs may pay for it in the end. :(

Sounds like a bit of a worry - for the dogs. It isn't easy at all to run a rescue and make all the right decisions on a regular basis.

It's very difficult to run a rescue remotely - ie from another state.

You'd hope that it is only people with vast experience running rescues but with all the rescues springing up, and from what I know, that isn't the case now.

As for being in league with a broker, if it's the broker I'm thinking of then it's a recipe for disaster - for the dogs that are sent, for those that receive them and for the community in general but if it's the same group then this has been happening for a long time.

Any rescue which operates in any state has to abide by that state's laws .I can imagine anyone who was ambitious enough to open branches in other states not to know this and ensure that this is covered. As long as they have good communication and policies and procedures which all branches agree to abide by as well as the state laws with reliable people running each branch it sounds like a great idea to me .

I agree Steve that is is a good idea for a good group but I am not sure how being in rescue for 6 months (this rescue was a foster home for a small group for 2 months then started her own group to help/be supported by the brokers) they have a lot of dogs shipped up to them in qlds from nsw and she has admitted that paperwork is overwhelming already. I just hope that it works out and no more people or animals are harmed.

I have noticed a rescue who has been up and running about 6-7 months now has started branches in other states the other day they added 5 new branches from vic to nsw to qlds are there laws that they will need to follow that differ from state to state? Is there any point to have multiple branches? I am a bit concerned as they are hand in hand with another group that isnt a rescue more of a brokering company for pound dogs and I fear for the dogs that will be carted all over the country and if they are not following laws the dogs may pay for it in the end. :(

6 - 7 months?!

No, too big too fast.

And if they are working with the sydney 'rescue-but-not-a-rescue' they will be burned badly and end up with unrehomeable dogs and nowhere to put them. And they will have nobody to blame but themselves.

Yes thats the rescue but not a rescue dogs can be in kennels for years no problem group. I guess we just watch the train wreck. Is there anything we can do to try to help this other rescue?

In all honesty, no you can't help. People never want to know until the wheels fall off.

Yes thats the rescue but not a rescue dogs can be in kennels for years no problem group. I guess we just watch the train wreck. Is there anything we can do to try to help this other rescue?

In all honesty, no you can't help. People never want to know until the wheels fall off.

Sadly, this is all too true. Plus you will be castigated for trying to drag them down and when the wheels do fall off, they will blame you for being so negative. frown.gif We've all seen it happen.

Let's hope that they recruit someone with a modicum of common sense who can harness all that enthusiasm effectively.

The wheels were never "on' for the particular group (we are all far too familiar with) to begin with.

I agree there is probably nothing you can do to assist the new group :(

They will become another 'victim' sooner or later and join the long line of the rest of the people who have been burnt/destroyed after becoming involved.

Sorry, I really dont want to sound so negative. Past experience has proven it, no one survives.

Sure there are relationships that fall appart/dynamics in rescue at times, not like this though. The list of people burnt by this particular group (or should I say the person who runs it) is endless, volunteers, rescue, vets, adopting families, transport companies, shelters, foster carers, managers of the "rescue" kennels and of course the dogs.

I am not looking forward to the day all is exposed as it will be far worse than any of us could ever imagine.