Did I Do The Right Thing?

apocalypsepwnie

Found the NSW DPI info (thank you Minimax) but I can find nothing of substance for Qld (no surprise there), Qld offences info include cropping a dog's ears, docking it's tail or debarking and general common-sense animal welfare

If a person did not follow the items listed in the Code of Practice (ie is it a Law?) do they get fined or is the Code of Practice a guideline only?

NSW DPI....

Transfer of Ownership

Objective

The transfer of ownership of animals should be used to promote socially

responsible pet ownership, and to reduce the destruction of companion animals.

9.1.1 Standards

9.1.1.1 Puppies and kittens must not be re-homed before they

are 8 weeks of age.

9.1.1.2 Dogs and cats must not be re-homed to people less

than 18 years of age.

9.1.1.3 No dog or puppy, cat or kitten may be sold unless

vaccinated in compliance with the requirements of

Section 8.2 of this Code.

9.1.1.4 All dogs and cats re-homed must be microchipped,

and treated to remove gastrointestinal parasites prior

to release.

9.1.1.5 No dog or cat suspected of being sick, injured or

diseased may be sold under any circumstances.

9.1.1.6 At the time of purchase, clients must be offered

accurate written information at no charge which

concerns the care of animals purchased.

9.1.1.7 If within 3 days a dog or cat is not acceptable to the

purchaser for any reason, the breeder is required

to take the dog or cat back and refund 50% of the

purchase price of the animal. This guarantee must be

provided in writing to the purchaser at the point

of sale

Edited by Boronia

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got rushed by a big mastiff cross that jumped a tiny fenced yard just the other day. I screamed and yelled and waved my arms until it stopped and the owner came out, the owner called it back and grabbed it. I then went home and called the ranger as that dog wasn't messing around and if I had been someone else with a touch less authority I would have been in trouble. I never let off lead dogs approach mine unless I know the dog well. I look like an idiot making it leave but I would rather that than an altercation.

Edited by mixeduppup

See I saw the code of practice but was under the impression it was for pet shops and registered breeders.

I have no idea if this is actually enforceable by law

Read it then, it explains it. It's on one of the first pages.

This Code contains both standards and guidelines for the care of dogs or cats for breeding. The standards have legal effect in three ways:• Failure to meet a standard may result in a Penalty Infringement Notice or a prosecution under Clause 20 of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (General) Regulation 2006.• In more serious cases, failure to meet a standard may support a prosecution for an offence under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, 1979.

However breeding is defined by

Breeding means the business of breeding of litters of animals for sale.

This is a questionable statement which can be interpreted as persons who intentionally breed animals for sale rather than someone who has a litter and re-homes the litter (by whatever means). That's how I interpret the statement however this may mean anyone who re-homes a litter.

This Code contains both standards and guidelines for the care of dogs or cats for breeding. The standards have legal effect in three ways:• Failure to meet a standard may result in a Penalty Infringement Notice or a prosecution under Clause 20 of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (General) Regulation 2006.• In more serious cases, failure to meet a standard may support a prosecution for an offence under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, 1979.

However breeding is defined by

Breeding means the business of breeding of litters of animals for sale.

This is a questionable statement which can be interpreted as persons who intentionally breed animals for sale rather than someone who has a litter and re-homes the litter (by whatever means). That's how I interpret the statement however this may mean anyone who re-homes a litter.

Did you pay for the dog? If so, it was for sale and you bought it. Intent is not mentioned, so you're imagining that one. What it doesn't say it that it only applies to breeders registered with DogsNSW.

Can't copy and past from my phone, but Boronia already pasted the appropriate sections and they say "re-home", so regardless of you get the animal it's not open for interpretation if it goes from the breeders care to yours, even if money sprang changed hands.

Edited by minimax

I like to let my dog greet others in as natural position as possible with their tail position showing and with them a long lead at least to enable them to communicate with their whole body, and let sniffing etc occur. It also lets me read my own dogs' body language better and see how they might be feeling about greeting right now. This has become important with my girl having a few spats in the last year.

Nic B. - my big girl sometimes drops to encourage small dogs to greet, but it seems to frighten them even more when she suddenly stands up and looms over them, so I have discouraged it.

Fern has always been great with other dogs, though after this incident she has only mixed with her own pack and dogs/owners I know very well. Believe it or not it was the only walk I had done in our neighbourhood in god knows how long.

These dogs meant buisness, I could see that instantly and there was three of them. Fern was bigger than all three though she is a soft, gentle dog (often full of mischeif).

I have thought about it a lot since the attack and always wondered if I had done the wrong thing, I can see that I did now. Poor Fern :o she did exactly what I asked her to do.

Poor Fern. It is horrible when your dog is scared, let alone injured. We live and we learn I guess. I've done many things wrong with my poor dogs but thankfully nothing too bad has come of it. I hope Fern has recovered well and is still your lovely girl.

Animal Welfare Code of Practice Breeding dogs and cats

9.1.1.1 puppies and kittens must not be re-homed before they are 8 weeks of age.

9.1.1.3 No dog or puppy, cat or kitten may be sold unless vaccinated in compliance with the requirements of Section 8.2 of this Code.

9.1.1.4 All dogs and cats re-homed must be microchipped, and treated to remove gastrointestinal parasites prior to release.

If you paid for it then the seller is in the business of breeding dogs as far as I can see. They fall under the authority of this code of practice unless they are a pet shop, pound or shelter. ( quote says "The incidental breeding of animals by pet shops, pounds or shelters are

activities for which the standards are set by other Codes recognised by

the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Regulation 2006.")

ETA: Sorry wrong document, have corrected that info now

Edited by BlackJaq

Poor Fern. It is horrible when your dog is scared, let alone injured. We live and we learn I guess. I've done many things wrong with my poor dogs but thankfully nothing too bad has come of it. I hope Fern has recovered well and is still your lovely girl.

Thanks Snooppy, Fern is all good and has recovered well though I have no doubt it has had an impact upon her.

I am kicking myself for taking her down the road (I don't need to as I am on acres) it was such a nice day and I decided to go a bit further. I adore this dog :love:

Not sure how people manage with dog parks, no way I would even contemplate that. Too many variables for me personally.