Question About Dogsnsw Prefix Fee

kelpiecuddles

My son and I are going to sit down and work out budget for DogsNSW membership, handler membership, etc, etc plus cost of show entries(and other fun things we need to get him like clothes and a showlead :) ) so he can have a input in to budgeting, etc for what will essentially be his hobby. The other additional cost which will happen at some stage down the track is the prefix fee, I can't see anywhere on the site whether that fee is an annual fee or a one off fee? I'm assuming all the rest of the fees are a standard yearly rate? can someone just confirm for me which, if any, are one off costs. I don't mind covering the one off things to get him started but I've told him he will need to assist in the other costs even if it's by doing extra chores to help earn it :)

I find by far the most expensive part of showing is petrol and accommodation.

I second this. The main thing stopping me attending a show in Feb is the cost of accommodation, and I'm foregoing that show to attend a bigger one in Sydney. We also spent over $100 in petrol this weekend just showing locally, 90min round trip.

Ain't that the truth

It cracks 4 figures for the out of state specialties! eek1.gif

Tell me again why we do this? :crazy:

I have no idea. I just entered multiple dogs in the Syd Royal. Good bye money :wave:

Ain't that the truth

It cracks 4 figures for the out of state specialties! eek1.gif

Tell me again why we do this? :crazy:

I have no idea. I just entered multiple dogs in the Syd Royal. Good bye money :wave:

*points and rofl1.gif* Enjoy the parking fee! :dropjaw:

LOL, I don't mind covering the petrol but I don't want him thinking it's some sort of free ride and a cheap activity, if he's going to do it he needs to contribute to the cost in SOME way. For now he'll just show locally and we may head down to Melbourne sometimes but it would be to visit family at the same time so I don't count the cost of that ;)

LOL, I don't mind covering the petrol but I don't want him thinking it's some sort of free ride and a cheap activity, if he's going to do it he needs to contribute to the cost in SOME way. For now he'll just show locally and we may head down to Melbourne sometimes but it would be to visit family at the same time so I don't count the cost of that ;)

Feed dogs

Walk dogs

Groom and bath dogs

Poo patrol.....

I honestly think that to become proficient as a handler and have a dog that knows the ropes, you need to do a couple of weekends a month for a while.

There are quite a few shows fairly local to us in the coming months :) We have the added issue that we are relying on the generosity of others allowing us to use their dogs from him to handle as we don't have our own yet. He has been meeting regularly with a lovely local lady who has been giving him lessons :)

Edited by kelpiecuddles

There are quite a few shows fairly local to us in the coming months :) We have the added issue that we are relying on the generosity of others allowing us to use their dogs from him to handle as we don't have our own yet. He has been meeting regularly with a lovely local lady who has been giving him lessons :)

Any reason he can't show your Basset?

She's not really show material and I don't want to demoralise him completely by making him show a dog that's not got a chance in hell. There's a possibility that this rescue basset we are taking on is actually from show lines, I am waiting to hear from the probable breeder of him so if he's halfway good he might be an option but unless that happens we'll stick with what we can. There are a couple of people I already know around here who will let him show their dogs and once he's there and showing he might be able to get a few more contacts. :)

Dog showing is expensive. You will find that you Suddenly need a trolley.. Crates.. Grooming equipment ... The list goes on. I bought a dog trailer when I only had one show dog.

Then fuel and accommodation are the killers. Entry fees are ok with just one dog.

Then there's the gazebo, I hought initially I would need much space for just myself and one dog .. Right lol.

Like any hobby it costs a lot of money. Most of us would use almost all our annual eave attending dog shows and so on.

Good luck but dont expect the costs to stay within your budget :)

Nah I'm not really. :). It's a budget for a nine year old so I'm not stressing about that sort of stuff yet. Don't want to confuse him too much. Lol

We have it lucky I guess that the breed we are getting in to doesn't need much 'stuff' to get them in the ring as far as grooming goes and it's mostly done before show day, as long as they are clean and looking in good condition and maybe a bit of chalk on the white spots and they look good. We already own a great fold out gazebo that we won in a raffle :) Then it's crates, well my dogs are crate trained so crates are there and for starters he can make do putting our crate on a little pull trolley.

Edited by kelpiecuddles