Help With Pup With Diarrhea Please.......

JustUs

Hi,

I'm hoping that all the experts could help with some info please.

We have a gorgeous 16 week old Stafford boy, brought him home at 8 weeks and no health issues at all, he had his 2nd vaccine on Christmas Eve and since then has had numerous issues ( the Vet we saw highly pushed for c5 and I'm now regretting that big time). He now has sensitive skin, then two weeks ago he was itching like crazy and malting a huge amount with a couple of tiny almost bald patches.

I was concerned he may have had mites and took him back to the same Vet Clinic but saw a different Vet, she wasn't convinced it was Mites but said to treat him fortnightly with Advocate and see how he went. She also gave some anti histamine, at my request, to help with the itch when needed.

I also had him Titre Tested that day as I didn't want to re Vacinate if he didn't need it, after chasing the results for days I know that his Parvo immunity is good, but still waiting for the full report with the Distemper? Results from the UK.

Now to the Diarrhea, he woke up distressed to go to the toilet a couple of times Thursday night.....highly unusual as he has slept all night since the second night home.

Friday morning he seemed fine but I fasted him all day, them fed him boiled Chicken and Rice for dinner Friday night. He loved eating it and nice firm poo. Saturday lunch I added some kibble and that was fine then Saturday night some kibble and boiled egg and all good too.

This morning I did Chicken and Rice with some kibble and a little of his normal pet mince and within 3 hours he had Diarrhea again :(

So I'm assuming that as the Diarrhea had stopped and then returned and that he has Parvo immunity then it's not urgent to go to the after hours vet but should I fast him again. Or just feed boiled Chicken and Rice? I'm guessing that the Diarrhea returned from his mince this morning or would it not go through his system that quickly?

Any advice appreciated and I'm more than happy to take him to the vet today if required......just have to find a new one as I was unimpressed with the one we went to :(

Edited by jaxxie

I'd feed the chicken and rice for a few days, maybe even a week before reintroducing other foods. Then introduce one different food at a time. You won't know if the mince, kibble or the egg have triggered this bout.

Diahorrea and vomiting dehydrate puppies really quickly but if he is drinking and not vomiting he should be fine for now. If he is looking quite bright and perky then a vet visit is probably not warranted at this stage. If he starts to be listless or unwell then yes, straight to a vet. If he has diahorrea for more than a day with no signs of it firming up and/or it goes liquid or he starts to vomit, then straight to the vet.

If he is bright and happy, then no food this evening, feed chicken and rice for the rest of the week if he stays bright and then start reintroducing other food slowly over the next week.

Just because they are vaccinated against something, does not mean they 'won't' get it - pups can still get parvo, after vaccination if exposed (the duration and severity is usually not as bad in a vaccinated dog).

My dogs have always been vaccinated for kennel cough but my boy got it (I think at dog training as a few dogs from there presented at our vet the same week) - it just didn't last as long and his cough wasn't too bad.

Extended runny poop in a pup is cause for concern - their electrolytes can become unbalanced.

It's good he is drinking and wanting to eat.

Itches and bull breeds seem to go hand in hand a lot these days. Have you checked your yard for all the usual suspects (wandering dew etc)and the pup for fleas or bites or scabs.

My lad gets itchy from paspalum grass - the only place he comes into contact with it, is at obedience training, so I give him an antihistamine (that I get from the chemist - dogs can use ours. I use polarmine and he has a whole tablet) and we don't have any more problems.

The light diet like Ams suggested is your best bet until you get the rear end stuff worked out.

Best of luck, I hope he feels better soon.

Thanks Staffyluv, I'm not sure if it is a contact allergy or not. There doesn't seem to be any common inducers to his skin problems. He isn't very itchy at the moment though.

I was actually really disappointed as the Vet wouldn't help with the dosage for human anti histamine so I had to buy the animal ones from her.

No she didn't do either gillbear, she said I could leave him there for a skin scrap but she was busy that day and suggested just using advocate instead.

He isn't anywhere near as itchy now though so maybe there was fleas in the yard or something, we have dogs in all the houses that our fence joins up to but I had never seen any fleas on him so who knows.

Have found another Vet Clinic that sounds promising and they have onsite Pathology so that's a plus and also the website states one of the Vets has an interest in skin issues so I think I will call in the morning and get him checked out and hopefully we have found a new clinic.

I think the one we have been attending was a little annoyed at me as I wouldn't just blindly follow their advice.........

Throw out your pet mince, keep going with the chicken and rice and get a second opinion on the skin.

Staffords need very good quality food and react to dietary changes.

Stick to chicken/turkey/fish protein sources and not dry foods where the protein is meat by-product meal.

If you want to feed raw mince then human grade turkey or roo would be a better choice.

Already chucked it Staff'n'Toller :)

His diet hasn't changed from what his breeder recommended, the only change I made was to change the kibble from Black Hawk Puppy to Holistic Select. Then he has a variety of Sardines, Raw Eggs, Chicken Drumsticks and the mince. Oh and goes crazy for Carrots and Bannana!

Will find a supplier for some Turkey and some other type of mince now too.

Thanks for the advice :)

He is awake and happy so I'm sure he will be fine to wait until tomorrow to see the Vet.

Sounds good. :thumbsup: My new pup is on Holistic Salmon and Anchovy and has a wonderful coat, but I too have noticed a couple of small bald patches on the head front legs very recently and wonder if it's demodex.

Use a gentle shampoo and consider a small amount of yoghurt daily plus some skin booster in the form of omega 3 & 6, it's important that the supplement is balanced for dogs though, so best to ask the vet about it when you see them again.

Thanks Staffyluv, I'm not sure if it is a contact allergy or not. There doesn't seem to be any common inducers to his skin problems. He isn't very itchy at the moment though.

I was actually really disappointed as the Vet wouldn't help with the dosage for human anti histamine so I had to buy the animal ones from her.

No she didn't do either gillbear, she said I could leave him there for a skin scrap but she was busy that day and suggested just using advocate instead.

He isn't anywhere near as itchy now though so maybe there was fleas in the yard or something, we have dogs in all the houses that our fence joins up to but I had never seen any fleas on him so who knows.

Have found another Vet Clinic that sounds promising and they have onsite Pathology so that's a plus and also the website states one of the Vets has an interest in skin issues so I think I will call in the morning and get him checked out and hopefully we have found a new clinic.

I think the one we have been attending was a little annoyed at me as I wouldn't just blindly follow their advice.........

Human anit-histamine use in dogs:

1. NAME

2. FORMULATION

3. DOSAGE

1. POLARAMINE (dexchlorhenrinamine)

2. 2mg and 6mg tablets also 0.4mg/ml elixir

3. dogs <10kg give 2mg

dogs 10.1-30kg give 4mg

dogs over 30kg give 6mg

1. PHENERGAN (promethazine)

2. 10mg and 25mg tablets 1mg/ml elixir

3. 1mg per 10kg of bodyweight

1. TELFAST (fexofenadine)

2. 60mg, 120mg and 180mg tablets

3. 2mg per kg bodyweight

NOTE:TABLET SIZE MAKES DOSING FOR SMALL DOGS IMPOSSIBLE

1. CLARYTYNE (Ioratadine)

2. 10mg tablets (also comes in a elixir now not sure of stregth just yet!)

3. for dogs less then 20kg give 1/2 tablet

for dogs over 20kgs give 1 tablet

1. ZYRTEC (Cetirizne)

2. 10mg tablets and 1mg/ml and 10mg/ml elixirs

3. for dogs up tp 20kgs give 5mg

for dogs over 20kgs give 10mg

this is in the general health forum :)

It is a very handy thing to print out and keep

Skin issues can come from the food they are eating, mites, contact allergy.. I couldn't work Ziggy's out until I started writing down what he ate, where we went and what we did.. It turned out that his flared up every Sunday afternoon and that was right after obedience training, so I figured it must be something at the ground (as we don't train with treats, we use a tennis ball - so not food). Checking the grounds out, the only thing I could put it down to was the paspalum grass.. We don't have it at home and he doesn't get itchy rolling around on it or at the local park but at the grounds there was heaps of it.

Sometimes you just have to keep a diary of everything he does for a few weeks and what is causing it will hopefully show up.

You might notice that every time he has chicken or beef he gets itchy or a certain type of training treat..

Hope you work it out.

I give cottage cheese or yoghurt in Zig's diet, raw eggs, sardines in oil (cheap homebrand ones a couple of times a week for breaky with kibble), he also gets roo, turkey (I buy it from Woolies now as they always seem to have it)..

I have only ever used human grade meat for my dogs..

I use Earthborn Holistic (Primitive, Ocean Catch or Meadow something??)

Staff'n'Toller has written some great stuff on food and diet.