Photography

Canisbellum

So seeing all the wonderful photos submitted here has rekindled my very amateurish interest in photography. Feel free to throw rotten fruit and or suggestions :)

This series is the most recent attempt,minor cropping and tone correction has been carried out.

Camera is a Canon 40D with a Canon Ultra 75-300 lens taken in sport mode.

IMG_6648.jpg

IMG_6649.jpg

IMG_6650.jpg

IMG_6651.jpg

IMG_6652.jpg

Like this?

EXIF File Date: ‎Sunday, ‎2 ‎February ‎2014, ‏‎3:42:25 PM

Width: 1566 Pixels

Height: 907 Pixels

Colour Depth: 24 Bit (1.4 megapixels)

Memory Size: 4.07 MB

Aspect Ratio: 1.72657108

DPI: 96x96

EXIF:

GPS Tag Version 2.2.0.0

Image Width 3888

Image Length 2592

Bits per Sample 8, 8, 8

Compression JPEG compression

Photometric Interpretation RGB

Manufacturer Canon

Model Canon EOS 40D

Orientation Top-left

Samples per Pixel 3

X-Resolution 72.0000

X-Resolution 72

Y-Resolution 72.0000

Y-Resolution 72

Resolution Unit Inch

Resolution Unit Inch

Software Adobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)

Date and Time 2014:02:04 10:04:20

YCbCr Positioning Co-sited

Exposure Time 1/1000 sec.

F-Number f/5.6

Exposure Program Creative program (biased toward fast shutter speed)

ISO Speed Ratings 400

Exif Version Exif Version 2.21

Date and Time (Original) 2014:02:02 06:42:25

Date and Time (Digitized) 2014:02:02 06:42:25

Components Configuration Y Cb Cr -

Shutter Speed 10.00 EV (1/1024 sec.)

Aperture 5.00 EV (f/5.7)

Exposure Bias 0.00 EV

Maximum Aperture Value 4.13 EV (f/4.2)

Metering Mode Pattern

Flash Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode

Focal Length 75.0 mm

User Comment

Sub-second Time 00

Sub-second Time (Original) 00

Sub-second Time (Digitized) 00

FlashPixVersion FlashPix Version 1.0

Color Space sRGB

Pixel X Dimension 1566

Pixel Y Dimension 907

Focal Plane X-Resolution 4438.356

Focal Plane Y-Resolution 4445.969

Focal Plane Resolution Unit Inch

Custom Rendered Normal process

Exposure Mode Auto exposure

White Balance Auto white balance

Scene Capture Type Standard

IPTC:

Coded Character Set 1b 25 47

Record Version 0

Date Created 20140202

Time Created 064225+0000

Edited by Canetoad

1/1000 sec.

F-Number f/5.6

ISO 400

Just need that bit, really.

There is nothing wrong with any of them.

They look a touch soft to me, but that's probably just the lens.

I would have probably nuked the first (not really flattering) and the fourth (camera has focused on water, not the dog).

Edited by huga

1/1000 sec.

F-Number f/5.6

ISO 400

Just need that bit, really.

There is nothing wrong with any of them.

They look a touch soft to me, but that's probably just the lens.

I would have probably nuked the first (not really flattering) and the fourth (camera has focused on water, not the dog).

Hope all the questions dont bug you

When you say soft what do you mean?

IMG_6652.jpg

I like this last photo the best... nice tighter shot of the gorgeous subject in nice focus. You can see the action happening there... and the dog is obviously enjoying itself immensely.

My take on photography is very much as an amateur. I like to see something interesting happening in the photo... and this pic is a perfect example of that.

Perfect focus is nice, but not always going to happen (even the pros get some not so great photos). A photo can be technically perfect, but not say anything to the viewer - and on the other hand, a slightly off-focus shot can say a lot. I aim for interesting when I'm out with my camera - rather than fiddling all over the place with settings and trying to get everything "right" on the camera - I'd miss so many photos if I was to be doing that... errr!

A really good (read expensive) lens will give a better average of nice shots - but it's still all about what you are pointing it at, and how you frame the action in the photo. Well framed shots will draw in the eye, and there will be no real distractions from what you are trying to show - like the first shot having a lot of water around, and you have to force yourself to focus in on the dog playing.

I think you've done really well so far, and look forward to seeing many more lovely photos of your gorgeous dog having lots of fun.

T.

That first one of the second set is my favorite. Lots of joy there :)

As a wedding photographer, I am all about the story. I love it. But I'm also about getting the technical right. Yes I take out of focus shots just like everyone else, but 99% of the time, they get turfed (as much as it pains me).

I like the first one of the second lot too... check out the smile... lol!

Photographing black dogs is an art... not the easiest subjects at all. I find they take the best photos with the light aiming towards them - so you can see them better.

I'm thinking you had an overcast day there, yes? So that means you've done exceptionally well to get the quality photos you have got there.

I've only taken photos at 2 weddings... and both were as a guest. Both lots of photos turned out pretty darned well, because I was getting the unposed shots - people get pretty stiff when they know the official photographer is pointing the camera at them, don't they huga? I'd be behind the official photographer and get my pics AFTER he'd done his - as the people were relaxing... *grin* (all done with the official photographers' permission of course)

My advice is to keep practicing, keep snapping away, and keep enjoying what you are doing... it will certainly translate to your photos.

T.

A good wedding photographer is totally ninja-like to avoid the awkward 'oh-god-she's-taking-my-photo' pose. A skill that is mostly gained by second shooting.

Edited by huga

I need to get some new glasses most of those look perfectly in focus to me :)

Heard a commotion in the front yard a few minutes ago and grabbed the camera and ran to see the tail end of some hooliganism. so it was literally point and shoot and hold the button down with a long lens in a small yard :)

This is probably my favourite

1/500 F4.0 ISO400

IMG_6696_A.jpg

Askari is too blurry in this one, even I can see that :) 1/640 F4.0 ISO400

IMG_6697_A.jpg

And I cut his back off in this one and Jonah is blurry :). 1/640 F4.0 ISO400

IMG_6698_A.jpg

This one I also really like. Just stuck it in Landscape mode to turn the flash off before he moved.

1/60 F5.6 ISO800

IMG_6734_A.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I like both that you have edited. I also really like the second one in the second set you posted as well as the first one in that set that everyone else liked best. As a newbie thanks for this thread as it is very interesting to reflect on photography :)

ETA I quite liked the second photo of the two dogs running in the water uncropped too...I love water :D

Edited by Flying Furball