Heartworm Help

Puppynovice

I need some advice urgently. My Mni Fox Terrier is now 9 months old. At 3 months we took him to a vet who gave us the Guardian Chews all wormer treatment which also covers heartworm. So we gave him one at 3 ,4 5 and 6 months and were told to then give one every 3 months after that. Since then we have started going to a new vet. I don't want to continue with the Guardian now as my dog doesn't seem to like them and it's a pain getting him to chew and swallow them. I wanted to swap over to something which does all the intestinal worms plus the heartworm. I had planned on doing the Drontal chews and a separate heartworm treatment like Interceptor or even the all in one Sentinal but both products say do not give to your dog if it has been more than 6 weeks since it was given its last heartworm treatment. But as we were told to give the Guardian every 3 months once pup reached 6 months of age it has been more than 6 weeks. So we have waited the 3 months on the advice of the vet and he is now 9 months old and is due his next worming and it HAS been more than 6 weeks since he was given a treatment. So does this mean I really can't start him on a different heartworm treatment because of those warnings?

I am very confused and need some advice. Our new vet is pushing the 12 month heartworm injection which I am not keen on at all. Any advice please?

Get a heartworm check, simple blood test, before giving your dog any heartwood preventative. I never go over 6 weeks between treatment and in the hotter months I do it every 4 weeks. I do not recommend the injection and prefer to give heartwood tablets on their own, not with all the other stuff added.

For heartworm protection they must be treated every 4-6 weeks. 3 monthly treatment is for intestinal worms only, not heartworm. I just looked up Guardian as I had never heard of it and it states it must be given monthly on the pack. Get a heartworm test done then choose a monthly treatment. If tablets are easier than chews for your dog, try Milbemax which is the exact same drug as Interceptor Chews. It treats intestinal worms and if given monthly does heartworm as well.

I agree the heartworm injections aren't the best path, given s many other treatments incorporate heartworm anyway. It just limits your options.

I've been using panoramis monthly and I'm very happy with it - it covers everything except tapeworm and ticks.

For heartworm protection they must be treated every 4-6 weeks. 3 monthly treatment is for intestinal worms only, not heartworm. I just looked up Guardian as I had never heard of it and it states it must be given monthly on the pack. Get a heartworm test done then choose a monthly treatment. If tablets are easier than chews for your dog, try Milbemax which is the exact same drug as Interceptor Chews. It treats intestinal worms and if given monthly does heartworm as well.

Thanks for that. I'll check out the Milbemax.

I've also checked the Guardian instructions and it also says to give 3 monthly for intestinal worms. So basically what it is saying is it does cover heartworm but ONLY if you give it monthly? This was never explained to us by the vet who gave them to us. Now our current vet (well the receptionist assistant person) has told us as long as we take Drontal chews (their recommended worming treatment) monthly he will be covered for heartworm. i don't understand this at all either as it doesn't even say it covers heartworm on the specs. They also said our other option is the 12 month injection which as I said before I'm not at all keen on.

Do vets have a problem with heartworm treatment? Well at least the 2 we've used so far are making things very confusing for us.

I've also checked the Guardian instructions and it also says to give 3 monthly for intestinal worms. So basically what it is saying is it does cover heartworm but ONLY if you give it monthly? This was never explained to us by the vet who gave them to us. Now our current vet (well the receptionist assistant person) has told us as long as we take Drontal chews (their recommended worming treatment) monthly he will be covered for heartworm. i don't understand this at all either as it doesn't even say it covers heartworm on the specs. They also said our other option is the 12 month injection which as I said before I'm not at all keen on.

Do vets have a problem with heartworm treatment? Well at least the 2 we've used so far are making things very confusing for us.

What each wormer covers can be looked up on the product information on the internet. My personal view is i prefer to do my own research rather than trust the advice of someone trying to sell me the product.

FYI, click here for Bayer Australia's material safety sheet for Drontal. In all the other guff you'll note that Bayer states its use is for intestinal worms only . Your vet's receptionist needs a slap up the back of the head for two things: dispensing veterinary advice and being WRONG. Id be inclined to print off a copy of that safety sheet and shove it up the receptionists left nostril. icon_smile_mad.gif

There is no way in God's green earth I'd give a dog the heartworm jab. Far too much information around on harmful side effects.

My personal regime (well for my dogs) is Drontal tablets 3 monthly for intestinal worms and Proheart monthly tablets from September to March for heartworm. My dogs hate the chews. Bear in mind though that where I live has very cold winters and that period covers any mosquito activity easily. There is also a daily option for heartworm.

I am no fan of the monthly "all-in-one" treatments for intestinal worms, heartworm and fleas. Fleas are not an issue here for the most part and I don't hold with treating for parasites that aren't a problem. If I lived in a more flea prone area I might use a different regime.

Oh, and vets often charge like wounded bulls for wormers - check out prices on the internet.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

What each wormer covers can be looked up on the product information on the internet. My personal view is i prefer to do my own research rather than trust the advice of someone trying to sell me the product.

FYI, click here for Bayer Australia's material safety sheet for Drontal. In all the other guff you'll note that Bayer states its use is for intestinal worms only . Your vet's receptionist needs a slap up the back of the head for two things: dispensing veterinary advice and being WRONG. Id be inclined to print off a copy of that safety sheet and shove it up the receptionists left nostril. icon_smile_mad.gif

There is no way in God's green earth I'd give a dog the heartworm jab. Far too much information around on harmful side effects.

My personal regime (well for my dogs) is Drontal tablets 3 monthly for intestinal worms and Proheart monthly tablets from September to March for heartworm. My dogs hate the chews. Bear in mind though that where I live has very cold winters and that period covers any mosquito activity easily.

I am no fan of the monthly treatments for intestinal worms, heartworm and fleas. Fleas are not an issue here for the most part and I don't hold with treating for parasites that aren't a problem. If I lived in a more flea prone area I might use a different regime.

Oh, and vets often charge like wounded bulls for wormers - check out prices on the internet.

I like your regime. We live in Canberra too. But I have a question. If you say you only give the Proheart from September to March then there is a 6 month lapse. Does that mean you need to do a blood test before restarting the Proheart at the start of each Spring? This is the dilemma I have now. Our last treatment was 3 months ago, which is apparently fine for the intestinal worms side of things but not the heartworm. And we now supposedly must have a blood test before giving heart treatment again.

My personal regime (well for my dogs) is Drontal tablets 3 monthly for intestinal worms and Proheart monthly tablets from September to March for heartworm. My dogs hate the chews. Bear in mind though that where I live has very cold winters and that period covers any mosquito activity easily.

I am no fan of the monthly treatments for intestinal worms, heartworm and fleas. Fleas are not an issue here for the most part and I don't hold with treating for parasites that aren't a problem. If I lived in a more flea prone area I might use a different regime.

I like your regime. We live in Canberra too. But I have a question. If you say you only give the Proheart from September to March then there is a 6 month lapse. Does that mean you need to do a blood test before restarting the Proheart at the start of each Spring? This is the dilemma I have now. Our last treatment was 3 months ago, which is apparently fine for the intestinal worms side of things but not the heartworm. And we now supposedly must have a blood test before giving heart treatment again.

i don't have them tested at the beginning of spring because I'm happy that I've treated during the time that mosquitos can spread it. However, given that it seems your pup has never been effectively treated for heartworm, giving preventative could kill him if it takes out adult worms in his heart (IF he has any). In your case, I'd say a test for the presence of heartworms would be a smart move. You'd probably be unlucky if he's got any present but better safe than sorry.

You might want to ask for vet recommendations. I'm southside and use the Animal Medical Centre in Phillip and Inner South Vets in Narrabundah. I'll warn you though, neither are cheap. eek1.gif

i don't have them tested at the beginning of spring because I'm happy that I've treated during the time that mosquitos can spread it. However, given that it seems your pup has never been effectively treated for heartworm, giving preventative could kill him if it takes out adult worms in his heart (IF he has any). In your case, I'd say a test for the presence of heartworms would be a smart move. You'd probably be unlucky if he's got any present but better safe than sorry.

You might want to ask for vet recommendations. I'm southside and use the Animal Medical Centre in Phillip and Inner South Vets in Narrabundah. I'll warn you though, neither are cheap. eek1.gif

Thanks. We did give him the Guardian every month at 3 4 5 and 6 months - so every month for 4 months. Guardian covers heartworm if given monthly apparently. We then stopped as we were advised to then give it every 3 months when pup reached 6 months of age. This is why I am confused because the vet should have known that it only covers the heartworm if continued to be given every month and not every 3 months!

Edited by Puppynovice

This is taken directly from the Interceptor website.

Dosage and Administration

The dose can be added to a small meal or placed directly in the mouth, similar to tablet dosing.

Once a month, ideally on the same date.

If a dose is overdue by >15 days, treat immediately and resume monthly dosing.

If a dose is missed by 15-30 days, heartworm prevention can be maintained if treated immediately and monthly dosing resumes for at least the next 2 months.

If a dose is missed by >60 days, a veterinarian must be consulted in case the animal has contracted heartworm. Dosing may be recommenced, and a blood test for adult heartworm must be performed after 6 months.

So, if it is less than 60 days you are fine to continue with a heartworm preventative. The wording has always made me wonder why we dose every 30 days. After a discussion with my vet, although she wasn't overjoyed ( she seemed a bit put out that I was questioning it at all - I now see a different vet at the practice, much more approachable) she agreed that every 45 days would be fine for my dogs so that is what I do now.

If it's been 3 months, though, I would test just to be sure.

Also wanted to say that one of my dogs hated the chews too so I buy Milbemax tablets now, much easier to conceal in food. Also there is a few mgs more active ingredient for heartworm in the Milbemax so it covers slightly heavier dogs and my Jenna was right on the cusp of the weight limit on the interceptor.

Edited by teekay

Puppynovice, a heartworm test is simple, inexpensive and you get the results immediately. To me it would be a no brainer. I'd have it done. Then if Interceptor or Sentinel is your choice of protection for your dog you can go ahead and start your dog on it.

I use Interceptor from May through September and Sentinel from October through April. This works well for my dogs and offers heartworm protection as well as all intestinal worm protection. In the warmer months they also have the protection of the flea contraceptive. One dog is amost 10yo and the other is 8 1/2yo and they've been flea and worm free all their lives.

I don't know why anyone would take the risk of not heartworm testing their dogs if there's been a period of more than 6 weeks since the last heartworm tablet or chew.

I would never have the 12 month injection done on my dogs.

Your vet's receptionist was very wrong and her bad advice could well result in clients dogs developing heartworm. The vet should be advised that his receptionist is giving wrong advice to clients. Please let him know. You might save a number of dogs from contracting heartworm.

Edited to say I give my dogs their chew every 5 weeks rather than every month.

Edited by cavNrott

Puppynovice, a heartworm test is simple, inexpensive and you get the results immediately. To me it would be a no brainer. I'd have it done. Then if Interceptor or Sentinel is your choice of protection for your dog you can go ahead and start your dog on it.

I use Interceptor from May through September and Sentinel from October through April. This works well for my dogs and offers heartworm protection as well as all intestinal worm protection. In the warmer months they also have the protection of the flea contraceptive. One dog is amost 10yo and the other is 8 1/2yo and they've been flea and worm free all their lives.

I don't know why anyone would take the risk of not heartworm testing their dogs if there's been a period of more than 6 weeks since the last heartworm tablet or chew.

Your vet's receptionist was very wrong and her bad advice could well result in clients dogs developing heartworm. The vet should be advised that his receptionist is giving wrong advice to clients. Please let him know. You might save a number of dogs from contracting heartworm.

Hi. There was never a question of not testing for heartworm if that is what I needed to do. I was just checking that I'd read it right and was really peeved that the vet never advised us about this in the first place as if I'd known I would have never let the heartworm treatment lapse for 3 months. I am really annoyed and really worried about my pup now. I am as my username suggests a puppy novice. Perhaps not so much as when we first got our boy 7 months ago, as I've learnt heaps in that time. And I'm now a lot more in the know on heartworm treatment!

As for the receptionist, I'm hoping it is my husband who misunderstood what she said. He is prone to do that! I will be grilling him closely later today!

Hi. There was never a question of not testing for heartworm if that is what I needed to do. I was just checking that I'd read it right and was really peeved that the vet never advised us about this in the first place as if I'd known I would have never let the heartworm treatment lapse for 3 months. I am really annoyed and really worried about my pup now. I am as my username suggests a puppy novice. Perhaps not so much as when we first got our boy 7 months ago, as I've learnt heaps in that time. And I'm now a lot more in the know on heartworm treatment!

As for the receptionist, I'm hoping it is my husband who misunderstood what she said. He is prone to do that! I will be grilling him closely later today!

Oh I sent my one dog to the vets with my husband once. Never again, she bloody well ended up getting the heartworm injection. Grrrrrrrrrr she has never had it and I never wanted her to have it but the vets computers were down and my husband just said yes to everything they asked. :eek: If they'd have taken a minute to look at her vaccination card they would have seen she'd never had one before and you would have thought that might have given them a clue :mad To be fair, they were very apologetic when I rang them, and offered a refund for the injection but that didn't help Jenna.

Lesson learned, even if I have a stinking headache. I take the dogs to the vets

Yep, I got that. From your first post it was clear that you would do whatever needed to be done to offer your dog protection.

Maybe hubby was to blame and not the receptionist. Either way you're clear now on how to proceed.

Your pup is probably fine but to make sure and also to set your mind at rest it's probably best to have the heartworm test done and then you can go from there.

Thanks. We did give him the Guardian every month at 3 4 5 and 6 months - so every month for 4 months. Guardian covers heartworm if given monthly apparently. We then stopped as we were advised to then give it every 3 months when pup reached 6 months of age. This is why I am confused because the vet should have known that it only covers the heartworm if continued to be given every month and not every 3 months!

We are southside too and go to Fadden Vet Hospital.

The heartworm picture is confusing, but my guess is you're ok. Wouldn't hurt to do a test before resuming treatment, but chances are very high that it will come back negative.

When I lived in WA, my vet (who had spent years doing vet work in aboriginal communities in the Top End) told me that treatment every three months was sufficient to upset the lifecycle of the heartworm, and in theory, to prevent infection. However, given Murphy's law and human error, she recommended every two months. She also said that testing after a lapse, before resuming treatment in the warmer months, did eliminate a very tiny risk, but the risk was so small that she was ok with it. She said some of the older, daily dose tablets were dangerous for an infected dog, but the newer 'monthly' treatments were, by-in-large, safe.

For a sceptics point of view on heartworm, you might want to read:

http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com/2008/05/billion-dollar-heartworm-scam.html

Here's an extract, but it's worth reading the whole thing:

The drugs used to kill heartworm microfilaria are Ivermectin (Heartgard, Heartgard Plus, Iverhart, Merialand Verbac) or Milbemycin (Interceptor, Safeheart,Sentinal and Norvartis). Both drugs are nematode poisons, and in both cases a single dose will kill all microfilarial infection that occurred up to 90 days earlier (i.e. all Stage 3, 4 and young Stage 5heartworm infections).

I now live in an area of the US that is horrible for heartworm. Like many people who have several dogs, I use Ivermectin sold for cattle, following a dosage regime that has been ok'd by my vet. I simply inject 0.1 cc of serum / 10 lb of dog into their food. . Usually, I put it into an egg or yoghurt. This is the chemical equivalent of HeartGuard (not HeartGuard Plus, which also contains Pyrantel for intestinal worms). Of course, research would be required to follow this protocol in Oz, cause the concentrations sold in ivermectin sold for livestock may be different than those used in the US, and if your dog doesn't tolerate Ivermectin, this solution is no solution.