Barking - Will Meeting The Neighbours Help?

We've had a lovely older couple move in next door who don't have dogs but are in the garden a bit and our GSD has taken to barking at them when they pass by (rarely barked at dogs next door or neighbours before). They have asked if they can meet him so that he gets to know and like them - then hopefully won't bark.

Would this work?

It's hard to tell if it's just a really loud "hello! I see you there! I still see you!". It's certainly not the "there's someone coming up our driveway I don't know" hackles-up sort of behaviour. My OH works from home so we ALWAYS call him inside when he barks but he doesn't seem to get the message... I have a feeling he's just being a really loud sort of social.

It's also difficult from a training perspective because he do want him to be alert and protective - just want to to stop with these specific people.

Edited by Del678

Our dog is friendly with neighbours on both sides, and will settle if they talk to him. He is an attention barker and will usually stop if people come say hello, so if you think that might be what your boy is doing then you may as well give it a try.

I can't think of a negative unless you dog is likely to be aggressive?!

thanks all, glad to hear it has worked for others. They do seem to be the type who wants to be able to say "it's just me" for him to settle. They seem to be pretty confident people who don't hate/fear dogs so I can't see him being aggressive when they meet.

He only displays aggressiveness(hackles, making noise) if someone shows a lot of fear or dog-hate behaviour, flinching, exclaiming when he sniffs them, creeping to the house over-cautiously(like a criminal), etc. But luckily he obeys when we say 'outside' and he's not a threat to bite etc.

Though he also doesn't appreciate when someone previously welcome attempts to re-enter the house. e.g. If we let a tradie into the house, all is good best friends, dogs goes and lies down so we leave the room, but if the tradie goes to his ute to fetch a tool and tries to come back into the house: "no entry! woof woof. my owners aren't here! only they can let you in!" certainly vigilant and thorough...