Shampoo

Kujo

I was wondering what type of shampoo you use of your dogs as i need to by some more and want the best type as the one i have just run out of was not the best quality and therefore has left my furbabies coat a little dry i know that it was from the shampoo as it was one i picked up in a pet store and made the decision by myself as the sales assistants were not helpful at all saying that they are all the same i think not.

Any advice would be appreciated. :(

First question for deciding on an appropriate shampoo is what breed of dog do you have (ie coat type) and what colour is the coat?

Also what 'issues' do you have with your dogs coat, if any? (for example - dry skin, hair brittle, fading, static in coat, flyaway hair, tangles easily, yellowing on white coat, heavy undercoat 'wads' up etc etc)

i have a chihuahua (long coat) named Roxy, she is tri coloured mainly white and tan with a little black. At the moment her coat is dry but i know that its from the cheap shampoo. She doesnt have any problems other than that i dont think

Should you also use conditioner?

I love the Plush Puppy range of shampoos (www.plushpuppy.com.au) and use them on my own dogs as well as a lot of clients dogs. I would probably use something like the Natural Conditioning one on her coat.

The Kelco shampoos available from petnetwork I think (advertiser here) are also excellent and will last a very long time as they are very concentrated. Also the Coat Handler shampoo and conditioner if they still have them.

I would use a conditioner as well particularly if you are washing regularly. You may only need a light one. The Plush Puppy Reviva Coat conditioning mousse is great. I also use a squirt of it shaken up with water in a spray bottle as a grooming spray in between baths. I also love the seabreeze oil as a final rinse.

Plush Puppy - all the way! I use three different shampoos (Natural Conditioning, Body Building and White Enhancing) on my dogs. :(

If you use a 'conditioning' shampoo, you don't need to use conditioner unless the coat is very dry.

For the rare occasions I bath my dogs :( I actually like the Fido shampoo. It's not expensive, but for some reason I just love the smell! When preparing a Spinone to show I had to steer clear of any conditioning shampoo or ones that soften the coat, it's the last thing you want on a wire coated dog...

Thank you all so much for your helpful advice :)

I think i will try the Aloveen for now does anyone know where to purchase it from (im in Sydney) but if i cant get any then i will most certainly try Plush Puppy

This is such a great forum as everyone here is so nice (and helpful) especially to someone new :( (althought i have been here alot and thought may as well join) unlike many other forums that you find where members are so nasty. Love it here and

THANK YOU HEAPS again

from both me and my chihuahua Roxy :D :fetch:

Yes thank you i have been able to locate a pet supply store close to me and they seem to be reasonal (although costs is not a issue) i think for memory it was $17 to $20 depending on the size of the bottle. Well worth it i think from all the great reviews that it has been getting.

It is just so hard to know whats a great product when there are so many out there on the market and most sales people will tell you just about anything (partly due to them not knowing i believe).

On the rare times Abbey is washed, I use Baby Shampoo. I also remember reading a hint from someone, can't remember who, that mentioned mixing the shampoo and water in a plastic spray bottle. More practical to use while trying to wash the dog than trying the normal way. Easier to lather up the fur, especially when you have an excited, water loving Labrador.

post-22-1114162961.jpg

i only wash my dogs in ECO2000 conditioning shampoo...

no sodium larel sulfates to damge the skin and hair...

sure it doesnt foam up...but its all natural ingredients..eco friendly,and leaves the coat soft and smelling delicious!

i only use natural eco2000 friendly products on my dogs and horses.

I've just had Fido's emu oil shampoo recommended. Tried it yesterday and feels/smells great. Soon to see how his skin etc goes. He's still getting the occasional lump/pimple looking thing though.