West Highland White Breeders In Victoria?

mr.mister

Hi guys,

A friend of mine's mother is looking for a new dog. She has fallen in love with Westies, so I said I would help them do some research to find a reputable breeder. :)

The lady in question lives on her daughter's property in her own granny flat, and is after a small dog as a companion. The dog would be inside/pottering around the house with her most of the time, but would also be able to spend time running around their (fenced) property. Would a Westie suit this kind of lifestyle?

Does anybody know what you could expect, price wise? They are happy to pay around $1000, but were told by one breeder that they contacted that they wouldn't be able to find one for any less than $1800 - is this really true? I don't know much about the breed but that doesn't sound right to me..

They are really nice people, this little dog would be very well loved. :) If anyone knows of any good breeders in Victoria, feel free to PM me!

If price is the stalling point and colour isn't imperative, tell them to look at Cairn Terriers!

Basically the same dog (the dogs were split into two breeds) in a different coat colour. Less maintenance and probably less skin/allergy issues with the coloured dogs.

Toto from the Wizard of Oz was a Cairn. :)

We bought our westie from a breeder in NSW 3 yrs ago and flew her to SA. She cost $1650 at the time (not inc. flights) Looking at recent prices $1800 is pretty standard.

We also have 2 cairns, one cost $1000 2.5 yrs ago and the other $1200 1.5yrs ago (different breeders in SA)

I second if they aren't fussed about colour go a cairn, they are personality plus and just as fun to have as a westie. Personality plus plus!

Our westie is gorgeous, is nick named the 'emo' as she is a bit of a princess at times (eg HATES getting her feet wet and refuses to go out in the rain etc) and loves to show her emotions through her ears and talks to us constantly. Pulls a really good sad face. She is a true terrier though when it comes to killing small animals, birds, mice, rats, lizards etc she has killed it and an avid hunter.

She does have skin allergies which are controlled with cream/spray when they flare up. Awesome little dog though.

The cairns are a bit more robust allergy wise and all 3 have rock solid great natures. One cairn hates water but happy to get as dirty as possible the other you cant keep out of the water and is often found lounging in her clam pool. The cairns will chase but ours don't have the same high prey drive as our westie. I cant recommend them highly enough.

Tell your friends they really should look at a cairn, as someone said essentially the same dog if what they want is a fun loving spunky little character.