Behavourist In Brisbane

storm

Its not about teaching them a lesson, but for me and most households the price of dog plus euth would make a big difference.

I couldn't be out of pocket like that for with nothing to show for it, and a new dog on top of that would be off the cards for a long while. Harder to of you have kids...

Ask the previous owner in a very direct yes/no question, if the behaviour he is displaying now was a known trait prior to him being flown to you and if not then why would valium be the first solution picked out of the box.

Is it from a rescue that doesn't desex, a registered breeder (ex stud dog) or a byb dog? If none of these then who else has owned the dog, how many homes has it gone through in its first 12 months of life.

If you are going to have to fly him back then I'd be asking for a full refund including all airfares before the dog goes back.

Document all conversations with the prior owner and if you need to euth (which quite frankly would be my option) then you still have the ability to go through Fair Trading or Small Claims re purchase costs etc.

Guest donatella

Personally I would not be sending this dog back. Obviously the people who sold him to you don't care that he is stressed and unhappy so they will pass him on again to someone else (no doubt saying it's all your fault when he reacts exactly the same way again) and this will only make everything worse FOR HIM.

So sorry you have to deal with this and you can only do what you are comfortable with but if he was mine he would get his wings.

I agree with this. It's a shame you weren't told about his aggressiveness however I wouldn't give up on him now either PTS or work through it. I think only a trained professional can give you any real answers as to if he's salvageable. Is he perhaps acting out in fear over the new home and travel? I hope you work it all out :heart:

I will be his last home. If we can work with his behaviours we will , if not then he will be given his wings.

I refuse to send him back to be rehomed its not fair on him.

I take full responsibility it was a bad decission. Im a sucker for a yorkie and my heart over ruled my head.

Thanks everyone

Personally I would not be sending this dog back. Obviously the people who sold him to you don't care that he is stressed and unhappy so they will pass him on again to someone else (no doubt saying it's all your fault when he reacts exactly the same way again) and this will only make everything worse FOR HIM.

So sorry you have to deal with this and you can only do what you are comfortable with but if he was mine he would get his wings.

I too would not send him anywhere but give him the peace he so deserves. Huge hugs to you both.

I will be his last home. If we can work with his behaviours we will , if not then he will be given his wings.

I refuse to send him back to be rehomed its not fair on him.

I take full responsibility it was a bad decission. Im a sucker for a yorkie and my heart over ruled my head.

Thanks everyone

I am so sorry you have to deal with this. Thank you for being strong.

I agree with others - either try to work through his problems or PTS. The dog should not be further traumatised by another plane flight.

It was not a bad decision on your part to take the dog - but unfortunately it is left to you to do the right thing by him one way or another.

Sorry for you and the little dog, that you are having this problem.

Also consider that if you got him "recently" he hasn't had time to settle and some of his problems may be due to issues with settling in, and will settle in a couple of months. It is very difficult to assess them when they have only been with you for weeks. I used to do a lot of rescue and the difference when the dogs settled was amazing. Even a beautifully behaved dog often develops or displays some problems when he moves homes. It is very traumatic for a dog.

Hope the behaviourist can help.

If you decide to keep him, phone Val Bonney (The Gap, I think) - she is a great trainer and will be able to help you, or get one of her trainers to help you.

Good luck :)

• 2 weeks later...