A Link To " 8 Reasons Why Not To Shave Your Dogs Coat"

Mystiqview

I have just been to the vets for vac. & check up for Bindi. When I got there, the secretary met me outside & warned they had a DA GSD inside & would I mind waiting well away somewhere. I waited for 15 minutes & out came a boy with the most ugliest of dogs...all flee bitten, mangy looking with fur missing & what was left was a terrible dull grey. When it turned around it had the most enormous set of balls :eek: When I went into the vets, there was mum arguing with the vets about some $1000 plus treatment that it had to have. First question I asked the vet was why would someone have a dog like that & not have it de-sexed...she just rolled her eyes & said that was a big part of it's problem. Then I asked her what it was crossed with....she laughed & said he was a pure bred & that he looks like that because they have him clipped

BCCrazy, I use a good quality pin brush. I do have rakes and coat kings. I use them sparingly and do the same - lift up the top coat and do the undercoat particularly around the pants and rump.

I have never bothered with the furminator - the ad in pet stores were enough to turn me off than to entice. For the average pet owner, they would just see all that fur off, and not realise it is cutting everything to achieve it.

I also frequently hydro bath them in just plain warm water (no soap or just a gentle everyday/puppy shampoo) and then sick the blow dryer on them. Found that helps heaps to loosen dead coat to get it out quicker.

Thanks for your help Mystiqview :)

I have a CC pin brush which I use daily as well as a boar brush. When needed I use my rake & the coat king. I too don't own a Furminator & never liked that ad either :laugh: I think they would just destroy the top as well. I bath my guys exactly the way you do as well cause they both are daily beach swimmers & the salt plays havoc with their coat if not rinsed out immediately. My BF is my blow dryer. It is amazing how much dead coat they can discard. Glad to hear I'm pretty much on the right track by the sounds of things then :)