Rainy Weather And Privacy

Badbee

It sounds like we have a very previous mini schnauzer in Abby. We struggle to get her outside to do her business on a rainy day. Does anyone have any ideas? We have to close all the doors and watch her like a hawk when it rains, like it is today. :confused:

Another weird thing she has is she won't eat in front of us we have to put her food down and walk out of the laundry before she eats. She is not food driven and can leave her food for 30 minutes or more before she goes in to take it. :rofl:

A not so strange thing is she has just started to nip at my OH's heels. Not at mine but I think she sees me as the boss and my OH as her playmate that's not to say I don't play with her I do. Any suggestions? :thumbsup:

It sounds like we have a very previous mini schnauzer in Abby. We struggle to get her outside to do her business on a rainy day. Does anyone have any ideas? We have to close all the doors and watch her like a hawk when it rains, like it is today. :confused:

Another weird thing she has is she won't eat in front of us we have to put her food down and walk out of the laundry before she eats. She is not food driven and can leave her food for 30 minutes or more before she goes in to take it. :rofl:

A not so strange thing is she has just started to nip at my OH's heels. Not at mine but I think she sees me as the boss and my OH as her playmate that's not to say I don't play with her I do. Any suggestions? :thumbsup:

What do you mean when you say you have a very 'previous' mini schnauzer :confused: I haven't a clue what that means.

When it's raining take an umbrella and go outside with her. Don't just put her out. Use a word you are comfortable with and when she eventually obliges, praise like mad. Eventually she will connect the word with the action and you'll have a dog who eliminates on command.

As for her not eating in front of you. Put her food down, tell her she may eat and sit quietly on a chair in the room, stay still and be quiet, read a book. If she doesn't eat after say, 15 minutes take the food up and try again in half an hour or so. Make sure she hasn't had any treats since her last meal. When she is hungry she will eat. You need to win this one and it will take time. Presently the dog is calling the shots and you need to turn this around.

Nipping at heels must be discouraged. Correct with a stern Ah Ah and redirect her with a toy or give her a command to sit or any other command, this is to give her something else to do other than nip heels. How old is this little dog?

efs

Edited by cavNrott

You are not alone! My Maltese boy who is 12 months old hates getting his feet wet unless its for play! He is quite happy to run on the wet grass even DURING rain or play under a running sprinkler and get soaked, but almost refuses to toilet on wet grass!! He toilets on command at any other time but is inclined to either hang on or toilet indoors when its raining. He has access 24/7 via a doggy door, so when he needs to go he just lets himself out. When it's wet we take him outside, lock his doggy door so he can't get back in and wait it out. He will eventually figure out that he is not getting back inside until he has done his business - then he gets lots of praise and a game.

I think you just need to do as I have done - take her outside and wait it out - take a brolly with you - she will eventually figure it out.

I feel the pain of everyone who has a dog like this. Jingo ( 7 months old) has rarely seen wet grass, and is very precious about it. He has a dog door too, but we have to do as Yvonne does, and it is frustrating, as you never can relax in wet weather. I look forward to hearing more hints on this, but for now we just have to take him out regularly if we ever get rain.

Di

Don't pander to here you will create a monster that isn't fun after awhile.

Eating yes some like privacy but leaving foood for 30 mins nope ,ours get the 5 min rule no eat no food ,

Our Minis love going outside in the rain but again its time to reset the rules outside is toilet no matter what the weather is .

Nipping heels again not acceptable & OH needs to address you can be a dogs playmate but both parties should have mutual respect.This isn't typical Mini behaviour & if you have young kids around at any stage may not be fun .

From other posts you haven't had her long also consider that toileting inside could be because she is confused at what you expect from her.

Just make sure she isn't being pandered to so much that she isn't becoming insecure ,she may respect you more because you treat her as a dog but still with love a mutual respct for each other & she nows where she stands with you but everyone needs to follow the same rules so she feels she fits in & nows where .

Our dogs go out in all weathers & so do we! I was brought up in the UK, if you wait for it to stop raining there the dogs would never go outside. Buy yourself some good quality, comfortable waterproof gear, you may find that walking in the rain is enjoyable :)