Blind Puppy Needs Home

Im not sure if this is the correct place to put such a request.

I have a beautiful healthy kelpie pup that is 5wks old. However she is blind.

Her dam was bitten by a snake late in gestation and this is a side affect of being exposed to the snake venom.

If I cannot find a home for her I will make the decision to have her put to sleep.

This is a HUGE commitment, that requires a very very special home. I am asking here because this is our last option.

Here is a link to her on my FB page, I don't know how to add photo's sorry.

If you think you can help please let me know.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152309342123478&set=a.10150817734748478.484786.776823477&type=1&theater

I'm confused, SLF. I went to the FB page and it seems to being run by someone called Bonnie Taylor. Does she have Olive or do you?

There must be thousands, of not millions, of blind dogs all around the world. And probably working dogs at that.

I've had blind dogs and many many DOLers have had blind dogs as well. It really isn't all that hard.

Obviously we would all want special special homes for the dogs, but euthanising a dog because he or she is blind is pretty drastic from where I stand.

Others may disagree, of course. :)

Danny's Darling, that is me, I am Bonnie Taylor the person behind SLF.

I have Olive in my care. :)

The vet examination showed nothing else wrong that can be found at this stage. When she is away from the litter mates she is content and quiet. She explores and looks bright. It appears she has been anxious by the excitement of the litter mates playing etc. I have changed their environment and introduced toys been taking them outdoors. She has been anxious with these changes.

Yes some further assessments into how she would cope will be needed. Though I felt I had to look into finding a home before I decided to put her to sleep.

Edited by SLF

I have a friend with those initials.

However they are my stud prefix hence my username. Our business name is Surrylea Farms (SLF)

I definitely own and have the puppy!

So close... but so far...

I'd have her in a shot if I didn't have at least another 3 months to wait before I can call my yard clear of Parvo... grrr! I'd hate to take her on only to have her get sick...

She'd make a good little sister for my other disabled dog, Pickles... lol!

I've not had a blind dog before, but I've fostered a deaf one.... now, THAT was hard work! I have worked with blind dogs before though, and find they manage pretty well.

T.

I have a blind, epileptic dog and nothing stays in the same place at my home. He doesn't care. He runs into things but hasn't hurt himself on anything (apart from a few bruises I guess). His eyes have been removed so there is no eyeball to get damaged if he runs head tilt into anything. He is able to navigate through 3 acres of yard without my being with him. He rumbles and plays with the other dogs.

I had another blind dog come into care just before he did and Ronnie had glaucoma with his pupils permanently dilated. I fashioned a bump harness for him by using an ecollar with the bottom bit cut out so it wouldn't dip into the dirt and attached it to a standard collar and harness with zip cords. I then used one of the flexi bits used to put up a cat tent and made that the curved front part of the face plate near the eyes. It mean he coul still stick his nose on the ground to smell trails without getting snagged, but the high edge of the cone and the flexi bit would brush something before he ran smack into it. Eventually his eyes were removed as well. I have footage of him navigating down a very steep set of stairs at a house he had only visited one before. He had no trouble doing the stairs by himself and was even able to somehow know when he had made it to the bottom.

A puppy would be a little different as she passes critical learning times but dogs are so resilient.

Are you able to put her separated from the rest of the litter with maybe only one of the other quieter pups as a companion? That way she can still have the learning experiences she needs but not feel threatened in a pack environment.

Guest Wildthing

An adult dog who suddenly loses their eyesight has memory to fall back on when dealing with day to day life. A puppy who was born blind has nothing in the memory to help. Just like a human who is born blind and one that goes blind later in life. I have tried doing things in the house with my eyes shut or no lights on at night, but I have memory to tell me where certain obstacles are. This puppy will develop hightened sensitivity in their other senses to compensate for lack of vision. That will help her deal with everyday situations.

Whilst I have not dealt with a blind dog of any age, I have dealt with vision impaired felines of varying degrees. They have amazed me on what they have achieved in their daily life. One boy got himself way up a Silver Birch to the point I thought I would have to call the Fire Brigade to get him down - he got down himself when a neighbours dog barked lol He was a rescue cat from a shelter, like all the others I have had. I have been very challenged by a deaf feline - born that way. She managed to get over a fence by climbing on something and of course, I couldn't call her back! Again, the same neighbours dog found her the next day stuck up a tree by barking at her to alert his owner - clever dog really! Animals with disabilities, like humans, can learn how to manage well in their environment.

I hope with all my heart you are able to find a home for your pup.

Thanks for you help and post everyone.

We have some serious thinking to do and it appears that at least one of the other pups may have a vision problem as well.

All options will be considered before a final choice is made.

If you think you may be able to help I would still love to hear from you.

I so wish I could help... my heart breaks for you and the pup(s) Bonnie...

Is there anyone in your area who may be able to neurologically test the little girl pup to ascertain what all may be the issue? At least then you may have a fuller picture as to what is going on, and be able to make a decision you won't be thinking "what if" about...

The sitting alone and crying instead of trying to get to things herself, plus the funny way she holds her head when sleeping/resting, indicates there may be a little more work needed with her than sorting out sight problems.

She may also thrive perfectly well once she gets a little more confidence in her own abilities... do you have the time to maybe take her off on her own every now and then to work on her confidence problem? Like a quiet area, a plate of her fave food, and placing her a short distance from it and letting her find and eat it herself... and increase the distance a little after each time she gets it right? Even if you sit on the other side of the plate from her and tap on the floor so she has a couple of ways to locate what she's looking for (smell and hearing in this case).

I used to walk a blind and partially deaf older dog at the rescue I worked at - we used to slap the side of our legs for him to basically echo-locate where we wanted him to turn... it worked a charm. Got to the point where we could walk him without a lead and he wouldn't bump into fences or the like.

T.

yes all the pups will be extensively examined next week.

Until then I will get as much information on all the "what if's" so that I can make the most informed decision I can

Are you able to try some working with her one-on-one to see if part of her issue is a confidence thing? Some pups just aren't as confident of themselves as their littermates, and seem to lag behind a bit until they work out that they can do some things for themselves.

If her hearing and smell senses are OK, you may have some success with some intensive (short sessions) one-on-one work to boost her confidence in her own abilities.

T.

Juat wanted to wish you and your little one the very best, she sounds very special and is very lucky to have such a devoted mum :)

I am sure the perfect home will come along soon where she will come along in leaps and bounds living a happy and rewarding life.

Good Luck with your other little girl too.

Having read the thread in the Breeders' Forum and because I can't post there, I will here.

Deepest sympathies, SLF. With all the health issues your little pups exhibited, my opinion is that you have done the kindest thing for those little souls. :cry::cry:

Time and knowing you did the right thing will hopefully go a long way to easing the pain.