Chilled Semen

Remarkabull

Just wanted to hear others experience with using chilled semen. Was it successful, number of pups compared to a 'normal' sized litter of that breed etc.

I am going to be doing an AI next week with chilled semen and as we haven't used chilled or frozen before I was wanting to get others experiences with it.

I haven't but my friend did for years and thinks she had a better success rate than with a natural mating - no impact on litter sizes and she loved the no visiting bitchs. She did surgical implantation which I understand many aren't doing anymore.

I am interested to hear what other have to say. I am waiting for my girl to come into season and will be used frozen semen on her (which I haven't done before)

The other thing I am considering is doing a dual mating - so I would be interested to hear outcomes of previous dual mating litters (if one sire was more dominant)

I have used frozen successfully, but haven't personally used chilled. I do however, have a pup from a mating using chilled. Bitch was inseminated surgically (I was there for the procedure).

Important thing when doing AI is going to be timing. Using an experienced repro vet is a BIG help, and dont skimp on progesterone tests.

In respect to dual matings, I know a few people overseas who have done them. From what I recall, pretty much all of them ended up being from only one sire.

We are taking her for a Prog test on Monday (which will only be day 8 but as semen is coming from interstate the owner of the stud wants to keep a close eye on her levels to make sure it's sent at right time). I will be using the same vet that did our last AI, which was successful but it was with fresh semen. Last time we did the insemination on day 13, no Prog tests were done that time but it was obviously successful.

I just don't want to miss out as it's taken a while to arrange this and I'm very excited about introducing these lines into my dogs.

There is a new method for chilled semen now, a friend of mine has just done it a couple of weeks ago.

Instead of it just being in an extender and has to reach and be inseminated within I think 48 hours is the life, the way the semen was stored was with extender mixed with a bit of yolk of a freshly laid egg and then chilled, the kit comes with everything required, the semen was collected about ten days before the insemination by AI and the semen was as viable as the day it was collected, saves the worry of the short space of time with chilled semen in only extender.

There is a new method for chilled semen now, a friend of mine has just done it a couple of weeks ago.

Instead of it just being in an extender and has to reach and be inseminated within I think 48 hours is the life, the way the semen was stored was with extender mixed with a bit of yolk of a freshly laid egg and then chilled, the kit comes with everything required, the semen was collected about ten days before the insemination by AI and the semen was as viable as the day it was collected, saves the worry of the short space of time with chilled semen in only extender.

Wow, I'll let the owner of the stud know about this. I've been told I have up 4-5 days max to use the semen but with each day it becomes less viable.

Getting things delivered to Darwin can be hit and miss so I'm hoping this arrives overnight.

I can contact my friend who used this new way and get the name of the business, in Victoria, who supplies the kit with all instructions, the dog in question was collected at my vet clinic and the two vets involved in getting this all set up said that it was amazingly easy, also the vet at the other end, Newcastle way, rang my vet to let him know how viable the semen was when warmed up for use as my vet was very interested in this method as he does not have the equipment for the slow chilling and always referred this type of work to repro vet clinics.

So if you want to know I can find out about the kit. Total cost of kit and transport from Melbourne to Adelaide was $109 the freight of the collected semen was Adelaide to the vet clinic in NSW was $97.

You can inseminate a bitch with chilled semen yourself.

I know. I was thinking about doing it myself but as I've never done it before and the dog is in another state so of I stuffed up we would miss out this season so it's safer for me to get the vet to do it.

You can vaginally inseminate, yes. Depends though if you would prefer to inseminate via TCI (gets it past the cervix and into the uterus entrance) or surgical (puts it right near the ovaries in each horn). Each method has its advantages and disadvantages. With chilled I would personally probably want to do at least TCI to decrease the distance the little fellas had to swim. :crossfingers:

Well it's all moving very fast ATM. We did a Prog test today (not sent to lab, just the one to indicate a the range) and Simi is in C3 range (between 2.5-8ng) and vet has recommended doing AI in 1-3 days time. She started flagging last night and is currently harassing my 2 boys trying desperately to get them to do the deed. Stud dog owner and her vet are fantastic and did the collection tonight but Qantas gave her the wrong info so it will be Wednesday before I get the semen. We were going to split it and do 2 inseminations, 1 day apart but now thinking its better to just do one as soon as I get the semen. Thoughts?

Without knowing exact prog numbers, I wouldnt know. Ovulation occurrs generally around 5ng. You need more than one test to chart the rise and pinpoint the time of ovulation. One test that shows a range where she may or may not have ovulated is IMO not too much help.With chilled you do have a wider window than frozen, but it depends on how accurate you want to be. At the moment it is 'best guess'.

Edited by espinay2

That is not a new method - well not that new anyway as a vet in WA has been doing it for well over 12 months (which was our first experience with chilled).

A friend had a successful chilled litter (TCI) in November with 5 pups. Her prog levels were carefully tracked every couple of days though to make sure it was timed correctly. I personally would not have waited until day 8 to do the first prog test as all of the prog testing is the cheapest part of the experience.

Good luck and wishing you a nice size litter :)