Making "that" Decision

MadWoofter

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to hear her health has picked up again, MW.

I'm in a similar situation at the moment (my big old boy turns 12 next week) and it's just watching and waiting for him to tell me when he's had enough. For us, it's his spine and he has good days and then some that make me think his time has come (like last weekend, where he spent most of it in bed, panting and not looking comfortable). I think those swings between the two make it even harder.

What I did find helpful (in the mean time) was making some decisions for after. What we're going to do with his body (cremate), what we're going to do with the ashes (sew them into a greyhound shaped cushion to keep) and how we are going to remember him (with a little engraved plaque for the front garden). For me, thinking about it in practical terms makes it easier and there's no unknown because everything is planned for.

Edited by Maddy

My beautiful girl Tess is nearly 12 which I know is pretty darn good for a large breed. She's a bit deaf (mostly selective hearing though) and her eyesight seems OK. She does get a bit disoriented sometimes. The biggest problem is her back legs which are starting to give out (she fell up the front stairs the other morning) and she has a sarcoma on her hind leg (which is slow-growing and hasn't metastasised).

She's very stoic physically but is a big sook emotionally. She didn't bat an eyelid with a cut foot pad, but will cry if she wants to sit next to me on the sofa and Fleming is in the way. The last two days though she's started whinging before letting me know she wants to go out to toilet. We're booked in to see the vet on Thursday.

I know her time is nearly here, and the last thing I want to do is delay it if she's in discomfort or pain, but how do you prepare for this? I get into bits just thinking about it. She's my heart dog :cry:

I do not envy you the path ahead,we have just very recently been in the same position,I can absolutely Guarantee you.THERE IS NO easy way to prepare for this,we had almost two years of keeping our friend comfortable and him having a degree of quality of life,before he let us know it was time.

Like you,we thought we would be prepared,sadly NO,yes we knew we had done the right thing,but it does not help,the reality still hits you like a sledge hammer,but know when the time is right you will make the right decision for Tess.