Crates- Seperating 2 Dogs

Whippetsmum

Once again, Thanks to all who gave advice related to the original question.

As much as I love the practical advice on Dol, I am always amazed how threads deteriorate so quickly! As someone said on the Guard Dog Training Centre thread, give something 24 hours on DOL, and you get fleas!**

It's Sunday morning, I have some time to get creative, lets see what mischief I can come up with, maybe I'll find fleas.

Warning- gratuitous use of emoticons, overuse of sarcasm

Wow, thanks to everyone who has warmed things up :flame: The Whippets will be able to stay cosy now!

Do they spend anytime in the house? :rofl: No. Never ever ever ever ever! They are Whippets for heavens sake, what do you think? Have you ever tried to keep a Whippet out? (Mine have Jedi powers) I have the scratched floors, I have whippet coloured carpet, I don't know what colour it used to be! I only buy furniture that matches our Whippet's fur! They don't spend all the time in the house or in the yard, they of course rule the entire house and yard! If you bothered to read the original post, it was very clear the dogs sleep outside, not live outside. (Quick, someone attack now 'cause they are allowed on furniture)

They are an inside breed :rofl: :rofl: Are you mixing up Whippets and Chinese Cresteds? Of course Whippets must be an inside breed. Inside is the natural habitat for both Whippets and Rabbits, it must be 'cause Whippets love to chase rabbits. Whippets, being bred for speed, naturally must be kept inside where all the rooms of the house are built of a uniquely circular construction to create an adequate environment for Zoomies! Have I taken things too far yet? My Whippets love being inside very much, but they also love being outside, they are neither Innies or Outies.

It's too cold for Whippets outside , yes, I'm just a horrible dog owner! Actually, I have specially bred Whippets, from the North Pole :xmaswave: No actually, I use an ancient Druid method for keeping my Whippets warm, it's a totally unpronounceable Druid word, the nearest translation is "blankets". In all seriousness, the Whippets in Winter have double polar fleece coats, sheepskins, doonas, vet bed etc the crates are covered in thick wool blankets, tailored to keep drafts out, sometimes I buy old sleeping bags and wrap the crates in those. If you check our crate in the middle of winter, you will get hit by gust of warm air as you uncover the crate. Having been so "exposed to the elements", the Whippets both managed to not only maintain their weight last winter, but put on weight, around 100g each. Clearly I am doing major damage. Would someone like to flame me now for over cooking my Whippets? It's not rocket science to keep dogs warm, it just takes a bit of effort, and planning. If they ever don't want to sleep outside when it is cold, they are not forced, they actually have a choice....(waiting now for someone with a dog behaviour background to attack me for that!)

Obviously I have no idea how to look after Whippets, and obviously I'm not the kind to care. :noidea: I never put their needs first- e.g it wasn't me who checked her dogs immediately after a snake incident on a walk last week, and didn't notice the cut on her own leg for 30 minutes afterwards!) ( Oh no, :doh: they should never have been outside, what kind of woman walks her Whippets in snake infested jungles?, and no I wasn't bitten, just caught my leg on a stick getting the Whippets out of harms way) I never turn down invitations or leave a function early so I can get home for a Whippet snuggle. For what it's worth, though it's really non of anyone's business, when we bought our house, the last thing on our minds were the Whippets, I guess I'm just not a sutable Whippet owner. (In reality, we could have bought 2 houses for what it cost in time, effort and mortgage to find a Whippetable place with suitable yard.) The Whippets have a 44m2 covered deck, and the same again in the under the deck entertaining area, it's paved, multiple beds available, you name it they have it! Then they also have the grassed yard with garden which we landscaped to have soft leaved plants, ripping out the existing roses and anything that is at all sharp, to make it a safer place for the dogs, the fences are 2m high with specially ordered pool fencing, all locked. If only I'd asked some people on DOL and I could have just kept them inside 24/7! Or have I taken something out of context?

BTW My Whippets don't even shrink when wet, I have tested it, they can get wet and survive! Only use warm water when bathing Whippets, bath them in the human bath, dry them with loads of big fluffy towels, finally blotting them dry with super absorbent paper towels to complete the drying process, Seriously, this is how I bath my Whippets. PS I do not recommend the use of a clothes drier when drying Whippets, they get dizzy and throw up! :vomit: Yep, I clearly have no idea, you don't want people like me anywhere near Whippets!

There endeth the ranting! :crazy:

PS **Anyone scratching?

What an interesting reply :clap: Did you consider that people were interested in your problem and wanted to help in their own way? We took the time to reply to your post in good faith, whether or not you found our suggestions helpful. A far better outcome than having your original post ignored don't you think?

We have two crates here for Dee and Zeph. They are next to each other with the ends touching, and the long side doors left open. Dee has the larger one and Zeph the smaller one. The way we taught this was to entice each dog into their respective crate with food and they ate it in there. Now whenever they get a treat each will rush to their respective crate to receive their treat. It does not take long for them to learn which crate is theirs.

Insert "rolls eye's " emoticon.

Another, only tell me what I want to here or will get nasty. :D

Exactly. I wouldn't say I've got an itch, more like a pain in my nether regions, difficult to know how to help with some people's issues. I should have just said "buy a second crate", it's hardly rocket science :)

Edited by dogmad