Wanted English Cocker Spaniel

Roojade

My family is after a youngish cocker spaniel (desexed male or female). I live in Wollongong NSW and hoping to find a cocker that is needing a new loving home. I have 2 children along with a dog and a cat. growing up I had cocker spaniels and would love one to add to our family. if anyone knows of a cocker looking for a new home please let me know ( willing to travel - NSW only)

They're great links, skyefool. Speaking only for myself, the handsome Thomas, in the mature dogs, (and his talents!) won me. :)

None available at the moment, but the cocker spaniel rescue, on Pet Rescue, has rehomed some gorgeous cockers. They really are a beautiful breed. I could get tempted!

http://www.petrescue.com.au/groups/10354?listings=rehomed

Edited by mita

Thanks Mita and skyefool. I've been in contact with pet rescue and keeping a close eye on any cockers they have. Just getting the word out there hoping someone may know of a dog looking for a new home ????

In my experience, sometimes breeders with quite a few dogs, that don't necessarily have any dogs for adoption, who receive a nice email can make them consider a young dog they have in their yard that would be better off in a family home.

It wouldn't hurt sending a few paragraphs about yourself, your family and what you can offer a young dog, along with some info about your previous dog experience. Maybe send to a handful of breeders on DOL whose advertisements resonate with you. :)

Breeders are often friends with other select breeders and might spread the word a bit too.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

In my experience, sometimes breeders with quite a few dogs, that don't necessarily have any dogs for adoption, who receive an nice email can make them consider a young dog they have in their yard that would be better off in a family home.

It wouldn't hurt sending a few paragraphs about yourself, your family and what you can offer a young dog, along with some info about your previous dog experience. Maybe send to a handful of breeders on DOL whose advertisements resonate with you. :)

Breeders are often friends with other select breeders and might spread the word a bit too.

Excellent advice. This was how I got our first tibbie, a retired showgirl. So far back, the first contact was made by just phoning around registered breeders & offering to send detailed relevant info (like you've described) by mail.

Interestingly, I got that advice at that time, from the RSPCA Qld newsletter who were telling people looking for purebreds how to avoid buying from petshops. They gave the contact details for the Qld Kennel Association (as Dogs Qld was called then) & said it would provide a list of registered breeders. So that's where I got the phone numbers from.

Edited by mita

Breed clubs are always a great place to start your search.

The Cocker Spaniel Society of NSW contact for pups and older dogs is below:

Puppy and Older Dog Availability

Mrs Betty Richter

(02) 9894 7935 (9am - 9pm)

Betty is available to discuss, in detail, the needs and requirements of the breed.

Suggest you drop the term "English" when talking about dogs with the Cocker folk here. In Australia, the English dog is the Cocker Spaniel and the American dog has the extra word. It's the reverse in the USA.

Anyone advertising "English" cockers is to be avoided IMO.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

They're great links, skyefool. Speaking only for myself, the handsome Thomas, in the mature dogs, (and his talents!) won me. :)

None available at the moment, but the cocker spaniel rescue, on Pet Rescue, has rehomed some gorgeous cockers. They really are a beautiful breed. I could get tempted!

Thomas is an ace little dog... And I'm not saying that only because he's my Penny's brother! Very tempted myself but reason has to prevail... Anna's dog are stunning both in type and temperament.

I also second the idea of ringing breeders even if they have no dogs advertised. My first port of call would be Ann O'Keefe of Glenayden kennels (she is listed on DOL in the breeders section). She owns Thomas' father and really knows who to recommend or might have an ex show dog to rehome.

Speaking only for myself, the handsome Thomas, in the mature dogs, (and his talents!) won me. :)

Thomas is an ace little dog... And I'm not saying that only because he's my Penny's brother! Very tempted myself but reason has to prevail... Anna's dog are stunning both in type and temperament.

Thomas just jumped off the page to me ... there's something special in his face & how he holds himself. And I loved his description... he's so well adjusted for living alongside his people. He's grabbed me.... & I'm a tibbie fanatic. :)

That's great you own his sister, Penny. I bet she's got the same specialness.

Thank you Mita!

She's very special indeed; probably biased but I love the breed to bits... True gun dogs but very versatile little dogs, and perfect house dogs; my first cocker was an older rescue from Sydney Dogs Home and was just wonderful

I'll try to attach a few pics of Miss Penny

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151726273621526&l=0d92a0ada2

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151437374551526&l=edcfa5bf4f

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151230140941526&l=aaec61bbb7

Thanks all, I will follow up on these good suggestions. I'm not a breeder or cocker expert my a long shot (hence my use if the "English"), but I did have cockers growing up and would love another. I understand it would be easier to go out an but a pup, but like the idea of helping a dog that my be in need of a family with a lot of love and energy to share with it????

Thanks all, I will follow up on these good suggestions. I'm not a breeder or cocker expert my a long shot (hence my use if the "English"), but I did have cockers growing up and would love another. I understand it would be easier to go out an but a pup, but like the idea of helping a dog that my be in need of a family with a lot of love and energy to share with it????

Seems Thomas is gone now?