Not Sure How To Best Manage Neighbours Dog

louise6616

In the ACT you apply for a permit to keep an entire dog. You regsiter your pup usually before 6 months which is when you need the permit by so two totally seperate forms (at least if you go to a gov. shop front). Two different fees. I have always had to walk the staff through the permit part so I doubt they would question any paper work handed in.

This is in the ACT only.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For anyone playing along at home..

I still have this dog. The girl came to visit her a few weeks ago, and after telling me how totally gorgeous her brothers sharpei pups were.. ggrrr.. she said as she was leaving 'you don't mind if she (staffy) stays here do you. I replied that we were happy and she (staffy) was happy and that she was their dog so they owned the decision of where she stayed. Haven't heard boo from them since.

We got her a great kennel from wildthing, the base is filled with blankets and it's in our loungeroom, but she is very wary of it. My dogs think its great!

Yes, I was playing along at home. What a strange situation. Do you think the girl has actually given you the dog? Or are they treating your house like the dog's kennel?

Nope, she only went home once, for less than an hour - that was a while back. I suspect they may have unofficially given her to us, I'd like to get her desexed, and registered - so we're just sitting tight a bit longer till the appeal of a sharpei puppy passes, then I will ask them directly if we can keep her, or at least get the desexing and registration done (I don't mind paying for it, but I'd rather politely ask first).

From the dogs perspective it has been a dream come true, sleeping on the lounge, lots of attention, doggie friends, walks, and proper nutrition.

Sounds like she has landed on her feet! I was so worried the girl would take her home and she'd be miserable. Hope it's easy and smooth to get her transferred in your name.

In the ACT from memory if you have a dog in your possession after 28 days it can be listed as abandoned and can become yours, ask the rangers/pound and see where you stand legally, if this is correct then do a stat dec and get her into your name and yes get her vet work done.

I hope you have all your text's to the owners and of course proof they have not contacted you at all and have actually abandoned her.

Good Luck

Maree

CPR

Edited by keetamouse

You have to report her found to the appropriate authorities first then wait the time. I'm not sure if it went to court she would have much luck given she knows the dog and neighbours. Best to get them to sign her over officially. Although contacting DAS or the RSPCA just to get some reliable info on doing so wouldn't be a bad idea.

• 1 month later...