Mange

I am so glad his feet were much more comfortable while he was inside :) That gives you a BIG HINT that the problem is what he is touching with his feet/belly outdoors .

As said mange does not magically stop when a dog is indoors ..or after just a few days of being poisoned with insecticide .

is there anywhere else you can walk - on a bare road or footpath ?

The poor dog must be driven mental with itch/pain ..and different things used all the time make it harder for his system to work out what the hell is happening ;)

Instead of neem ,etc - just use the calendula ..that is SO good - for infections/inflammation and fungal things ..magic :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a good fenced front yard with no wandering jew in it, I kept him only in that yard on Wednesday it has kikuyu in it , the grass is a bit long at the front as we have had rain for a good week, well his feet and back of legs went bright red and warm to touch, and lick lick chew chew, so from lunch time on I kept him inside and walked him out on the road with boots on, Today his feet have calmed down and I have been walking him with boots and plastic wrapped around the bottom of his leg as it is raining again, he is still sometimes licking them but not as much he is a lot happier, but this morning his legs are dry and some scabs that started to bleed , I put calandular ointment on them , I also got some calandular flowers yesterday and made a tea and sprayed over his legs last night, with his legs being dry and cracked should I just leave them ? I will keep him inside tomorrow as well, but yes as we suspected it is most likely a contact allergy, hopefully not food as well, I rang my vet yesterday about blood tests , he said they weren't that accurate , it's lucky I have a few days off work and I can keep an eye on him , gees what do you do with a hunting dog with grass allergies ? Can you ever cure that ? Or do you just manage it ?

With a positive blood test they can make desensitizing vaccines for the allergies...I've met a couple dogs where they were very successful.

My dog is clearly allergic but didn't get a strong enough response to make any vaccine. He can't tolerate pred so is instead on atopica. Allergies tend to be a management thing but on atopica he has a good quality of life. Boots weren't a long term option for us and even without contact to the allergen he is still affected by inhaling it.

Unfortunately it is expensive (though much less than the initial stages of diagnosis where his skin was out of control and I was at the vets all the time). And it is still possible for new allergies to develop. If I don't treat him he looses half the hair on his legs and is red and extremely ITCHY. He has had bouts of vomiting on and off since starting meds and it just took us this long to key into the fact he is allergic to the gelatin capsule the atopica is in!

OMG what a process , Ralph's feet look fantastic ,it's day 3 with no grass contact, I will work with my vet and discuss the next process but yes , I have spoke about blood tests with him before and he's not that keen

Wandering dew could not just be the problem. Kikuyu and Pasphalam are both known grass allergies. You mentioned you have Kikuyu in the front yard. So also look at that.

Couple of weblinks: This is from a 2 minute google search on grass allergies in dogs. The first one is written from the company that makes Malasab. The second is from the gardener. I used to have a a better list of plants/trees/grasses that were common allergins to dogs (and people) but cannot find it. It may be even old fashioned hard copy.

http://www.dermcare.com.au/allergy-information

http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/factsheets/Pets-Pet-Care-and-Native-Animals/Pet-Allergies/2905

I agree with others - stop putting a multitude of chemicals on your dog. You don't know if one will react to the other or even if it is helping or doing nothing. It is not good and you are not waiting for any one product to even try to work before you are trying something else. Even so far as the vinegar is concerned - I am not saying it won't work in this situation, but they have found recent research in box jellyfish stings up in Nth QLD that while it relieves the pain, it triggers another reaction in the poison/toxin to make it worse.

And FFS listen to some of the advice on here before going off googling something else. Your dog from what is said has a contact allergy to something. So why the hell are you allowing the dog to go out to the horse paddock or other grassed areas when it would seem a grass somewhere is causing the problem? Most of us on here also work. But with something like this - get the dog off the grass for a week. Build a pen, lock him in the garage or something where he cannot get onto the grass to first re-inflame his existing allergy and secondly stop him getting more reactions to what ever he is reacting to.

It also seems strange your vet is (from your comments) chopping and changing frequently. Is it really vet advice or are you just saying this on here to back up your new idea? If you see a different vet, for FFS give them the whole story, don't miss out anything. Make a diary of what you have done and when you have done it.

Constantly changing his diet will not help either. If it is a grain diet - chopping and changing his food is not going to help. Even holistic brands can contain grain. He may be allergic to something else in the food, an additive, preservative or something that may not even be on the packet that was used in the processing of the food. He may also be sensitive to something you are giving him in human food. Dairy (yoghurt), a meat or who knows.

Wandering dew could not just be the problem. Kikuyu and Pasphalam are both known grass allergies. You mentioned you have Kikuyu in the front yard. So also look at that.

Couple of weblinks: This is from a 2 minute google search on grass allergies in dogs. The first one is written from the company that makes Malasab. The second is from the gardener. I used to have a a better list of plants/trees/grasses that were common allergins to dogs (and people) but cannot find it. It may be even old fashioned hard copy.

http://www.dermcare....rgy-information

http://www.burkesbac...-Allergies/2905

I agree with others - stop putting a multitude of chemicals on your dog. You don't know if one will react to the other or even if it is helping or doing nothing. It is not good and you are not waiting for any one product to even try to work before you are trying something else. Even so far as the vinegar is concerned - I am not saying it won't work in this situation, but they have found recent research in box jellyfish stings up in Nth QLD that while it relieves the pain, it triggers another reaction in the poison/toxin to make it worse.

And FFS listen to some of the advice on here before going off googling something else. Your dog from what is said has a contact allergy to something. So why the hell are you allowing the dog to go out to the horse paddock or other grassed areas when it would seem a grass somewhere is causing the problem? Most of us on here also work. But with something like this - get the dog off the grass for a week. Build a pen, lock him in the garage or something where he cannot get onto the grass to first re-inflame his existing allergy and secondly stop him getting more reactions to what ever he is reacting to.

It also seems strange your vet is (from your comments) chopping and changing frequently. Is it really vet advice or are you just saying this on here to back up your new idea? If you see a different vet, for FFS give them the whole story, don't miss out anything. Make a diary of what you have done and when you have done it.

Constantly changing his diet will not help either. If it is a grain diet - chopping and changing his food is not going to help. Even holistic brands can contain grain. He may be allergic to something else in the food, an additive, preservative or something that may not even be on the packet that was used in the processing of the food. He may also be sensitive to something you are giving him in human food. Dairy (yoghurt), a meat or who knows.

mystique - in case you missed it (might be in another thread?) the OP has said how good dogs' feet are with him being walked with foot protection , and kept off grass for 3 days so far

Diet is also now kangaroo + sweet potato ..and no supplements :)

I also heard about the vinegar and Stingers! ouch! Apparently the vinegar triggers the fibres to release more venom ..and so makes things worse . So many were using it too ! :(

I read the thread. I did read the bit about three days and signs of improvement. Great news. I also picked up on the Kikuyu grass on the front lawn that no one else had picked up on (Kikuyu grass and known allergy) - so concentrating on the wandering dew. I have 5 acres of kikuyu here from when our place was part of a dairy. It was waist high when we first bought the block.

The OP, keeps to also changing "treatmet" for something else every other post.

I also heard about the vinegar and Stingers! ouch! Apparently the vinegar triggers the fibres to release more venom ..and so makes things worse . So many were using it too ! :(

I am sure there will be many more who will continue to use vinegar as the beaches have bottles up there for stingers. But goes to show, an old well used remedy no is now longer proved to be potentially more harmful - even though it eases the pain.

Just hope the OP sticks to what they are on now and does not read something else on google and tries that before letting their current "treatment" have a chance to do something.

Edited by Mystiqview

Day 4 and feet are looking good, kangaroo and sweet potato for tea, 550grms veges and 850grms kangaroo meat, what a huge feed !!! But he ate it, went for a walk this morning , no feet protection , I let him run, he was twisting and bucking , washed feet down with rain water and thoroughly dried them , that was hours ago and feet still look good , it is not raining today, so I'm heading out in the front yard to mow the grass, I will keep him inside, my vet said that if I keep him off the kikuyu he will likely develop an allergy to another grass ,some of you may not believe the vet said that and that I'm making it up to cover another of my ideas , he also told me to keep up with the omega oils,VC and acidophilus