Can I Administer Half A Tablet

I buy the Sentinal in the double dose size and cut them in half for my mini schnauzers. This on top of heart worm and intestinal worms renders the fleas infertile but today I noticed some live fleas on my younger boy. I am leaning towards buying Capstar to kill whatever is there. as anyone bought the dose for larger dogs and cut them in half?

Yes, I have always done this after my vet recommended it to me as a way to help costs when I ran the rescue. I only dosed every 6 weeks too, again on his advice.

Capstar are so cheap you don't need to worry about the costs so I am assuming you mean cutting the Sentinel in half.

Edited by ~Anne~

My dogs had fleas recently for the first time in 10 years! Must have found them on hols.

I tried Capstar divided between 3 but didn't seem to work very well. It was cheaper but had to go back and buy a better treatment , maybe Sentinel which I divided. Worked fine.

Edited by skip

It surprises me as some drugs for example Advantix are something like 0.1ml per kg dog weight. So I can buy a larger amount and divide between 3 or more dogs.

Ectoparasiticides have a particular legislated restraint that means it is illegal to use the product in any manner that contradicts the instructions given on the packet. It's written there in capital letters on the pack and in the insert. Of course, you may do what you like at home but it is not appropriate to instruct others to do it.

I used to divide the dose of Sentinel when it was in tablet form but not now that it's in chew form. Evidently the drug is not evenly dispersed in the chews as it was in the tablets.

twodoggies: I doubt you want to divide the Capstar as it's not expensive. I would get onto the Capstar right away. Don't give the fleas a chance to drop eggs in your carpet that will continue to hatch. Kill 'em off now before they cause you trouble.

Supermarkets carry Capstar, if you don't have any on hand.