Dog Doesn't Like Obedience Class

Have you talked to the instructors maybe show them the videos you put on here?

Perhaps they could work with you separately or make an exception for you. Would be a shame to exclude you from agility classes, if anything young people should be encouraged into the activity!

I don't understand many clubs insistence on attaining a certain level of obedience through their program. Whilst I understand you can't have out of control dogs running around in agility surely a basic obedience test (come sit stay informal heel etc) would suffice in most cases? If dogs fail this test them obedience classes could be recommended.

Personally I find obedience quite boring and I know my dog picks up on this. If possible keep training sessions short. I find rewarding with a toy brings much more enthusiasm- in some ways it seems odd because my dog is normally very food obsessed. She is also a gundog breed, and a bit prone to distraction (especially smells) but I find if I have a ball I usually get super focus! Can be a bit hard to do this on group situations though.

ETA- I'm also a crazy dog person! I have to remind my self not to just talk about dogs to "normal" people . Luckily in my job I pretty much get to talk about dogs all day! And then I go spend my spare time with other dog people at agility lol.

I don't know why they test obedience work if you're wanting to do agility. It's really annoying.

Before starting obedience at Altona, we did almost 3 years at another obedience club. Bonnie and I were heeling, staying and recalling 100% off lead. We could have trialed if we wanted to, I got asked by an instructor there if I wanted to trial once or twice. But I was really young and didn't get what trialing was. The point is we were working off lead, and working well.

Twice now, the same instructor at Altona has said that Bonnie is "unreliable" off lead. I admit, our heelwork looks really bad. It's messy, slow, and certainly isn't trial quality now. But we are able to work off lead around distractions. I know that Bonnie and I can work off lead, and when she's excited we can do it well. After every class I do our own off lead training at the edge of the park, hopefully one of the instructors sees us one day.

I made a plan a few weeks ago to show them my videos, but I haven't gotten around to it. It's hard, because they only get to see Bonnie during our class, which is at her worst. They have no idea what we're capable of, so they assume that we work badly all the time.

So our next class is in two weeks, and I'm going to talk to a trainer that was nice to us last time. I'm going to try and explain to him that we don't like obedience, and only want to do agility. I'm going to show him some of Bonnie's tricks and stays off lead, to hopefully convince him that we can work off lead. I'll also try to explain that Bonnie acts differently out of class, and that she does have the drive and control required for agility classes.

It's hard because every time I try to talk about it to them I get really upset, and almost start crying. hopefully it all goes to plan, but I have no idea how it will turn out.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be getting in touch with the head agility instructor. I find formal obedience boring...a bit like watching paint dry...& my dogs hate it, but are very obedient in a casual way & just love their agility :) I only ever went in one obedience competition with my older girl & we practiced for months. When we did the test...she failed miserably...she hated that I was not allowed to talk to her & ended up peeing in the ring :eek: zero points but still got third prize as there were only three dogs in it. She enjoys Rally-O though, but it is difficult taking her out of doing a masters agility run & straight into the Rally-O ring...so I have put that aside for the time being. I am now doing Canine Freestyle with the two of them, clicker based & they are loving it. :) See if you can speak directly to the chief agility instructor. If you were in my club, you would definitely be in agility :) & running rings around most of the dogs we currently have in the starters group.

You don't have to belong to a club in order to compete in agility, but you do need to be a member of your state canine body. A lot of people competing have been self taught, with the aid of videos etc, but it certainly is a big plus if you can go along to training every week.

I would be getting in touch with the head agility instructor. See if you can speak directly to the chief agility instructor. If you were in my club, you would definitely be in agility :) & running rings around most of the dogs we currently have in the starters group.

You don't have to belong to a club in order to compete in agility, but you do need to be a member of your state canine body. A lot of people competing have been self taught, with the aid of videos etc, but it certainly is a big plus if you can go along to training every week.

I talked to the head agility instructor last lesson, and she said I needed to be assessed by the head instructor. I got assessed by him, for a second time, and he said we're not ready for agility. I'll probably have to talk to her again to explain our problem, but she looks mean.

I think I'm just going to have to do most of the training myself in the end. I plan on renting out some proper equipment at Kepala, and do my training there. I don't have enough room or equipment to train at home. It would be really great if I could do classes, but right now I don't see that happening.

I've got plans to start trialing at the end of the year, luckily my mum is willing to drive me around and help with the memberships! I know we haven't had any proper training or anything, but I have a lot of help online with agility training and it's helped a lot. I try and do the foundation exercises I see on Youtube, and so far I've noticed a pretty big difference. And with these "possible" agility classes we'll be even closer to trialing. So I'll have to see how everything pans out over the next few months.

Bonnie and I will be going to watch the Action Dogs trial at KCC park next week, it'll be my first time watching dogs compete for real :)

supposedly on the same day there is also a fundraiser on the other side of the area, with a simple agility course set up for people to have a go on. think we'll have to try that out

Lots of people on DOL that can help with any questions. I have some worksheets that I have done up for my class's in the past & am quite happy to PM them to you one by one, if you are interested. See if you can get to volunteer stewarding at an agility trial...that way you will learn heaps. I wish I had started when I was younger, but I am now well into my 60's & didn't start until 5 years ago. My dog used to behave like a Tasmanian Devil, but now she is going great & in Masters level, it has been a real journey & I now have my younger guy. They say you ruin your first agility dog, but by the time you get your second, it's all systems go :thumbsup: I am quite happy to help via PM's :) You always start out with lots of foundation training even before equipment is introduced, so there is heaps you can do without equipment :thumbsup:

I just looked at some of you Youtube videos and the one thing that struck me was Bonnie looks so happy to be working with you, her little tail is always wagging! It makes me sad to think she is shutting down at obedience when you are clearly able to do so well with her at home and that she has the desire to please. Sounds like you're in a bit of a tough situation regarding being limited by your parents which I get, I'm still 17 so if I need a lift for something doggy related I have to ask my parents or catch the train (but that's not always possible) and I always feel bad for inconveniencing them. I do second the suggestion to show somebody at your obedience club your videos and ask them to rethink their decision because it's clear you're both capable, you just need a bit of special consideration because Bonnie is unsure in the club environment. Sounds like maybe bringing a parent when you ask could help to back you up as they may think it's easier to ignore you/think you don't know what you're doing because you are young.

Hey allyandbonnie, it's so lovely to see someone so committed to training and passionate about it. I watched the agility video you posted earlier and I thought how you used the chair was really clever, you are a better handler than some adults I know! I was so impressed I showed the video to Steve (K9Pro) and told him how passionate you are about training.

We can't help you with classes as you're in VIC but Steve liked your video and thought you might find one of our treat pouches (http://www.k9pro.com.au/dog-treat-pouch.html) useful, and wants to give you one :) your choice of black or purple just shoot me a PM with your details and I'll pop one in the post for you :thumbsup:

Edited by huski

I just looked at some of you Youtube videos and the one thing that struck me was Bonnie looks so happy to be working with you, her little tail is always wagging! It makes me sad to think she is shutting down at obedience when you are clearly able to do so well with her at home and that she has the desire to please. Sounds like you're in a bit of a tough situation regarding being limited by your parents which I get, I'm still 17 so if I need a lift for something doggy related I have to ask my parents or catch the train (but that's not always possible) and I always feel bad for inconveniencing them. I do second the suggestion to show somebody at your obedience club your videos and ask them to rethink their decision because it's clear you're both capable, you just need a bit of special consideration because Bonnie is unsure in the club environment. Sounds like maybe bringing a parent when you ask could help to back you up as they may think it's easier to ignore you/think you don't know what you're doing because you are young.

That's the one thing I aim for when I do tricks and agility with Bonnie. I want her to be just as happy as I am to be working with her :)

I might have to bring along my mum as well, the backup idea sounds great!

I had a young friend on Facebook who a couple of years ago at the age of 16 was chosen to go overseas as part of the Australian Agility Team. She was very, very good & extremely enthusiastic but from memory she had similar problems to you in so much as she was restricted by needing her parents to drive her everywhere. I am not sure what she is doing now...but I am just mentioning it to make a point, that just because you are young, it doesn't mean that you have heaps of potential & these people at Obedience should be encouraging young people like you for the good of the future of the sport.

With agility, you need to be able to work your dog on both sides, left & right equally & this is where I feel formal obedience falls down as they tend to make the dog one sided. You need to be able to work both sides on & off lead & need to be able to do this in the company of other dogs & in an exciting environment. Your dog also need to have a good solid stay while in the company of other dogs as you are going to need this when trialing. I agree, take a parent along with you next time you approach the instructor.

I understand how clubs reason that you need to do obed before agility, their line of thinking is that you need off leash control to do agility but it's an old fashioned way to look at it (much like the boring way many clubs teach obed is old fashioned too - there is absolutely no reason for obedience to be boring!) If you teach your dog to engage with you and get them wanting to work with you and earn the rewards you have to offer, you won't have any problems working off leash and you won't need to teach heel work etc to achieve it. Once you have that foundation right and a dog that wants to engage with you, you can apply it to any sport.

I agree with Huski. When Pro-K9's Agility Training Courses were running, our only pre-requisite was basic (i.e. our "Foundation") training. The initial part of the Agility Course is centred on equipment approach which was 'steady as she goes' and essentially on lead and motivational reward. As the dogs (and handlers) moved through the courses, the dogs more naturally learnt to focus to handler and ergo, the handler acquired the control that began to permit off lead work.

IMO, teaching Agility is totally complimentary to and enhances obedience training, if managed in the right ways.

Hey allyandbonnie, it's so lovely to see someone so committed to training and passionate about it. I watched the agility video you posted earlier and I thought how you used the chair was really clever, you are a better handler than some adults I know! I was so impressed I showed the video to Steve (K9Pro) and told him how passionate you are about training.

We can't help you with classes as you're in VIC but Steve liked your video and thought you might find one of our treat pouches (http://www.k9pro.com.au/dog-treat-pouch.html) useful, and wants to give you one :) your choice of black or purple just shoot me a PM with your details and I'll pop one in the post for you :thumbsup:

Thats awesome!

I hear K9pro is doing a workshop in VIC this year maybe you could see if you could go along Ally?

BTW I just wanted to say I'm totally impressed with what you've managed to achieve on your own with Bonnie. Great improvisation with equipment and as other have said Bonnie always looks very happy working with you. I think you could go really far, as you're very keen and enthusiastic and already a good handler.

TBH I'd try another club, the one you're with doesn't seem overly helpful and quite set in their ways. In NSW you would not have these issues with most clubs. In fact, Bonnie almost looks ready to trial in novice jumping so it may be worth just entering her in some trials for fun. Many clubs are more accepting if you have some titles already....

I just moved to the ACT and whilst they are a bit more strict about entry into agility here, all that is required is a basic obedience test, seeing if your dog can work around distraction (like other dogs) and making sure they are not aggressive.

I really hope you can find a good club to help you.

Thats awesome!

I hear K9pro is doing a workshop in VIC this year maybe you could see if you could go along Ally?

BTW I just wanted to say I'm totally impressed with what you've managed to achieve on your own with Bonnie. Great improvisation with equipment and as other have said Bonnie always looks very happy working with you. I think you could go really far, as you're very keen and enthusiastic and already a good handler.

TBH I'd try another club, the one you're with doesn't seem overly helpful and quite set in their ways. In NSW you would not have these issues with most clubs. In fact, Bonnie almost looks ready to trial in novice jumping so it may be worth just entering her in some trials for fun. Many clubs are more accepting if you have some titles already....

I just moved to the ACT and whilst they are a bit more strict about entry into agility here, all that is required is a basic obedience test, seeing if your dog can work around distraction (like other dogs) and making sure they are not aggressive.

Thank you! my name is Emily, Ally is my other dogs name haha :)

I've got plans to start trialling in September. there's 4 or 5 trials we are hopefully competing in. hoping to earn our JD at the end of the year.

I've been thinking about the K9 Pro workshop, but I need to look more into it.

I think a lot of dogs get bored in obedience classes and one thing that I have learned is to do some static work while the instructor is explaining stuff or we were waiting our turn to do some one on one stuff.

High fives, turn at heel on the spot, catch a treat, which hand is the treat in, look at me (or that).. Check out the trick thread for some ideas on stuff that can be done on the spot.. It just breaks up the class and makes it more fun.

I think a lot of dogs get bored in obedience classes and one thing that I have learned is to do some static work while the instructor is explaining stuff or we were waiting our turn to do some one on one stuff.

High fives, turn at heel on the spot, catch a treat, which hand is the treat in, look at me (or that).. Check out the trick thread for some ideas on stuff that can be done on the spot.. It just breaks up the class and makes it more fun.

I try to do tricks between exercises, but Bonnie isn't in the mood. she doesn't even enjoy eating her treats during class. half the time they fall out her mouth. after class she's fine though, completely back to normal

I try to do tricks between exercises, but Bonnie isn't in the mood. she doesn't even enjoy eating her treats during class. half the time they fall out her mouth. after class she's fine though, completely back to normal

Thats not good :(

I wouldn't take my dog anywhere that would make her unhappy like that- its not worth it. Especially when they are generally happy and food motivated otherwise (although I think Mindy would have to be dead to not take a treat lol). The instructors shouldn't be letting you go on like this either. She's not ready for this type of environment yet or she needs different kind of motivation or there's just something about the club she doesn't like (which would ring warning bells for me). As I said before, even though my dog is very food motivated, for some reason I get much better heeling and obedience work with a toy.

Can you get to Pro-K9 where erny is? Maybe even get Erny or another recommended trainer to come and assess exactly what is going on with Bonnie?

Do you also do training with Ally?

Thats awesome!

Thank you! my name is Emily, Ally is my other dogs name haha :)

I've got plans to start trialling in September. there's 4 or 5 trials we are hopefully competing in. hoping to earn our JD at the end of the year.

I've been thinking about the K9 Pro workshop, but I need to look more into it.

Let me know when you start trialling - I have the only Dalmatian running in agility in Vic so we are pretty easy to spot!!!

Thats not good :(

I wouldn't take my dog anywhere that would make her unhappy like that- its not worth it. Especially when they are generally happy and food motivated otherwise (although I think Mindy would have to be dead to not take a treat lol). The instructors shouldn't be letting you go on like this either. She's not ready for this type of environment yet or she needs different kind of motivation or there's just something about the club she doesn't like (which would ring warning bells for me). As I said before, even though my dog is very food motivated, for some reason I get much better heeling and obedience work with a toy.

Can you get to Pro-K9 where erny is? Maybe even get Erny or another recommended trainer to come and assess exactly what is going on with Bonnie?

Do you also do training with Ally?

Yeah. I'll be having a chat with the instructors there next week.

Ally is an 8 year old Scottish terrier mix. she's got a lot of health problems and she spends 90% of her time sleeping in another room. She's got very bad skin allergies, and can't eat anything (not even dog food) unless it's her special medicated food. she also has Cushings disease, and her knee dislocates when she walks.

I do some training with Ally. but I am unable to use treats and she isn't toy motivated, which makes training extremely difficult. she does enjoy the interaction, but with all of her problems there is only so much she can physically do. I try to train her some simple tricks, mainly because she enjoys it, but there isn't much of a relationship between us. Ally prefers spending time by herself rather than with people, so she hasn't got a relationship with anyone in particular.

Ally is reasonably smart, but because we lack a good relationship she is only working for food. all her drive is being pushed into trying to get the food, rather than trying to please me.

So I do train her a little bit, but because of all our limitations there is only so much we can achieve.

My boy has never worked for food - he has no interest in it.

We use a tennis ball or a tug as reward for good work.

There have been times when it has been raining and we have loads of puddles at training - his favourite reward of all, is to be able to bounce around in a puddle for a few seconds..

He did a great job on figure of 8 last term and I said - go swim.. He bounced in and out of the puddle until I called him back.

We do fun things - I make it rewarding by only offering high value rewards.

He has two tugs that are more fun for him than the other two. So he gets to pick the tug..

We all do whatever works for out dog - in our case, it is toys (fun not food) that work to keep him excited to work and having fun.

Maybe toys would work for you.

My boy has never worked for food - he has no interest in it.

We use a tennis ball or a tug as reward for good work.

There have been times when it has been raining and we have loads of puddles at training - his favourite reward of all, is to be able to bounce around in a puddle for a few seconds..

He did a great job on figure of 8 last term and I said - go swim.. He bounced in and out of the puddle until I called him back.

We do fun things - I make it rewarding by only offering high value rewards.

He has two tugs that are more fun for him than the other two. So he gets to pick the tug..

We all do whatever works for out dog - in our case, it is toys (fun not food) that work to keep him excited to work and having fun.

Maybe toys would work for you.

Neither of my dogs like to play with toys. On the odd occasion Bonnie might chase a ball, she won't pick it up or anything though. She would not perform tricks for toys as a reward.

They're both highly food motivated. Toys are just not their thing.