Dog Doesn't Like Obedience Class

They sure do, but you'd have to talk to them about an assessment, I'm.sure they'd be happy to move you up but would need to assess her I guess? Email them and ask, Sue has answered a few of.my emails and is a great help.

Clickers are welcome, we got told to use whatever works.l be it toys, food or games. Its all positive, encouraged to treat for everything and the focus is on fun and having a good time. I've been caught out getting frustrated before and the instructors are great and will come up and have a laugh and make a suggestion or just laugh at your dog being a jerk, as mine sometimes does... there's also a social walk along the river before classes which might be good.for her, or you can go off and have a walk on your own before.

Give them an.email.or pop.in on a Saturday morning for a chat perhaps. Let me know if you do, I'll.come say hi!

Is the training on a Saturday morning? if so I won't be able to make it :(

Werribee sounded so good! guess I'll have to stay where I am for the moment.

Hi, try looking at Werribee's facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/WerribeeObedienceDogClub?fref=ts to get a feel for the club. The club's web site is currently down and probably will be back up soon. Next induction day is coming up soon, but I am not sure the date due to the website being down. Werribee has Obedience, Rally O, Agility and is supportive of a lot of other activities. Agility generally is around the 11'o'clock mark and obedience from Puppy class and class 1 start at 1.30 pm, class 2&3 at 2.30pm and 4 & 5 pm at 3.30. Class times are 45- 50 minutes. If you do decide to come down and join in the fun, make sure that you asked to be assessed so that they can put you in the right class. As Steph M has said, they do a "fun walk" at 1.00 to help settle your dog down and help it relax a bit. The club also offers mid week training as well. I will hunt out my newsletter and give you the secretary's email addy so that you can contact her too. Cheers for now

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They sure do, but you'd have to talk to them about an assessment, I'm.sure they'd be happy to move you up but would need to assess her I guess? Email them and ask, Sue has answered a few of.my emails and is a great help.

Clickers are welcome, we got told to use whatever works.l be it toys, food or games. Its all positive, encouraged to treat for everything and the focus is on fun and having a good time. I've been caught out getting frustrated before and the instructors are great and will come up and have a laugh and make a suggestion or just laugh at your dog being a jerk, as mine sometimes does... there's also a social walk along the river before classes which might be good.for her, or you can go off and have a walk on your own before.

Give them an.email.or pop.in on a Saturday morning for a chat perhaps. Let me know if you do, I'll.come say hi!

Hi, try looking at Werribee's facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/WerribeeObedienceDogClub?fref=ts to get a feel for the club. The club's web site is currently down and probably will be back up soon. Next induction day is coming up soon, but I am not sure the date due to the website being down. Werribee has Obedience, Rally O, Agility and is supportive of a lot of other activities. Agility generally is around the 11'o'clock mark and obedience from Puppy class and class 1 start at 1.30 pm, class 2&3 at 2.30pm and 4 & 5 pm at 3.30. Class times are 45- 50 minutes. If you do decide to come down and join in the fun, make sure that you asked to be assessed so that they can put you in the right class. As Steph M has said, they do a "fun walk" at 1.00 to help settle your dog down and help it relax a bit. The club also offers mid week training as well. I will hunt out my newsletter and give you the secretary's email addy so that you can contact her too. Cheers for now

I can't commit to training on Saturdays. My dad is at work and my mum takes my brother to sport. I'd love to go, but it wouldn't work out :(

I can't commit to training on Saturdays. My dad is at work and my mum takes my brother to sport. I'd love to go, but it wouldn't work out :(

:( but totally understandable

Steph, Werribee ODC now is back to it's proper training time of Saturday afternoons :) and just in case you are wondering why I know this, its because I am a member there too

So it is, we have missed the last few weeks due to travel. Doh!

I'm sure you're at a mugh higher level than us. If you see a demented flat coat come say hi though! Haha.

Steph, Werribee ODC now is back to it's proper training time of Saturday afternoons :) and just in case you are wondering why I know this, its because I am a member there too

So it is, we have missed the last few weeks due to travel. Doh!

I'm sure you're at a mugh higher level than us. If you see a demented flat coat come say hi though! Haha.

I have been at the club for nearly 15years and I am currently in class 8(UD) and back in class 3 with a very robust young goldie who just thinks everyone and every dog loves her.. and goodness help me if she sees a small child or a pram.. she must say hello to them.. I havent been there for a little while either due to commitments and wont be there this Saturday cause I will be at the DLS doing demo work

And Flat Coats arent demented, just full of life. Can I ask you who was your dogs breeder?

Edited by kallistar

Thought I should give a bit of an update.

Bonnie and I will be competing at our first agility trial next month! it's a NADAC trial down in Altona.

just look at how excited Bonnie got!! please excuse my handling haha

With your weavers, standing still and moving your left shoulder away may be pulling her out of them early. Try walking in the same direction as she is weaving and square your shoulders off to the weavers, looking forward to the exit - if you get what I mean?

I would give some rewards occasionally after one or two obstacles as well, just to break it up a bit. :)

With your weavers, standing still and moving your left shoulder away may be pulling her out of them early. Try walking in the same direction as she is weaving and square your shoulders off to the weavers, looking forward to the exit - if you get what I mean?

I would give some rewards occasionally after one or two obstacles as well, just to break it up a bit. :)

I normally run the weaves along side her, but I didn't want to get in the way of the camera haha ;) but yes, I've noticed she does tend to pop out if I stay back.

Thanks for the tips! will definitely try the random rewarding and square shoulders next time :)

Edited by allyandbonnie

No worries. :)

Also, do you have the NADAC rules?

There were a couple of entries where she had the first pole on her right shoulder - which is wrong.

She must always enter with the first pole at her left shoulder.

Starting 2x2 from the very beginning, first with 2 poles, then with 4 will really help that as she needs the entry repetition work, which you only need 2 poles for.

No worries. :)

Also, do you have the NADAC rules?

There were a couple of entries where she had the first pole on her right shoulder - which is wrong.

She must always enter with the first pole at her left shoulder.

Starting 2x2 from the very beginning, first with 2 poles, then with 4 will really help that as she needs the entry repetition work, which you only need 2 poles for.

Yes I've had a flip through the rules.

I'm working on weave entries now :)

I normally run the weaves along side her, but I didn't want to get in the way of the camera haha ;) but yes, I've noticed she does tend to pop out if I stay back.

Thanks for the tips! will definitely try the random rewarding and square shoulders next time :)

Great news :thumbsup: If you get her running to a target at the end of the weaves it will stop her turning to look at you & popping out. Remember in competition you will have 12 poles. Sometimes put a treat on the target & other times run in & put the treat on the target as she is running to it.

Great news :thumbsup: If you get her running to a target at the end of the weaves it will stop her turning to look at you & popping out. Remember in competition you will have 12 poles. Sometimes put a treat on the target & other times run in & put the treat on the target as she is running to it.

I used to train 12 poles. But since I moved house I don't have the space for it anymore. Bonnie can weave twelve poles, it's the popping out and entries that are the problem.

I'll try the target idea tomrrow! I think that will solve our problem! Bonnie LOVES target training! combining this with her favourite treats should do the trick ;)

thanks for the tips!