Unvaccinated Pets

corrie

Lots of very successful vet clinics these days have switched to 3 yearly C3 vaccs and/or titre testing.

I actually left my last job partly due to difference in opinion regarding vaccinations and desexing with my last boss.

It's important to keep up to date with recommendations. I'm surprised Greencross are making a big deal as it doesn't really look very good for them.

My vet has been supportive of my decision to titer test yearly instead of vacs. Cooper had 2 puppy vacs and developed vaccinosis (sp) so I titered him and he hasn't had another shot since. Same as Molly although she had her 1 year booster. She is now 4 1/2 and her anti bodies level are still high.

Hmmm... Zeddy is now 14.5 years old, and had her last vaccination when she was 5. Last June I had a litter of rescue foster pups who all had Parvo. I'd say that Zeddy's immunity to Parvo after nearly 10 years seems to be intact...

My biggest worry was Harper, who had only had her puppy vaccinations before we had the Parvo pups here... again, they seem to have held just fine. Harper has since had her adult booster and won't be vaccinated again.

Trouble (who is 8 and hadn't had any vaccs since her adult booster at 15 months) had to have a C5 earlier this year only because I had to board her while I had my gallbladder out... silly rules but they have to be followed... *sigh*

There is something a bit different with my dogs' immunities though. As I was fostering lots of rescue pups over the years, my dogs have been getting small exposures to all number of things continually, thus making their immune systems work all the time - as opposed to dogs who don't interact with many other dogs on a regular basis. As a result my girls all have very nice titres... *grin*

T.

Oh I couldn't resist leaving a comment on that article. So sick of the 'vaccinate annually' nonsense. Article was very obviously written by green cross as a press release and included by a writer too lazy to check facts. banghead.gif

Unfortunately Dr Stanley is either hopelessly out of date or is simply trying to boost the coffers of her practice. Of course there is always the possibility that she has been misquoted by the reporter that wrote the article...... one would hope so, but then it makes a completely useless piece of writing.

Perhaps she needs to read and understand both the AVA Position Statement on Vaccinations of dogs and cats and the benchmark paper published by the World Small Animal Veterinary Association. If she is already aware of these documents and has not been misquoted it seems a bit like "selling the soul" doesnt it.

So, something I've wondered about for a while - is there any actual difference between the vaccines labelled as annual and those labelled for tri annual use?

Is there any issue with vaccinating "off label" with an annual vaccine, but only once every three years, instead of using a tri annual labelled vaccine?

Took Nova into the vet a few months ago with a manky ear, vet looked at her chart and said "oooh, she's overdue for her vaccination, I'll just go and get one"

Vet not impressed with me when I told her that I didn't want her to "just go and get one"!

You can check out Dr Bruce Symes Website - he has some articles about vaccinations that clarify just the question you have raised. He has been conducting titre testing for years. www.vetsallnatural.com.au

Also some other vets who offer good info is www.animaloptions.com.au and Dr Pearson from Paws to Heal.....

I just won't use vets who aren't up to date with current recommendations. It just makes them look incompetent.

I agree. Thats what i love about my vet. She is an older lady, so would have worked with all the old ways for everything.

But she is so good at staying up to date!

For vacc we did puppy shots and she said "We used to reccomend yearly vacc, but now only every three years, and even then we may not need to. But i would still like to see him for a check up each year" i was like :thumbsup:

Finally found a good one!

and we went in for patella luxation, and she said "we used to just say 'YEP into surgery asap', but now we only operate if necessary. At this stage we will just continue to monitor it, if it worsens we will need to operate, but in the meantime just do lots of uphill walking and swimming."

I was just so happy she wasn't pushing anything. I have had some horrible vets just stuck in the old ways..

Interesting that my comment which provided links to all the relevant documents has been removed from below the article ....
Hmm. Dodgy.

Very dodgy!

:mad