Pop Up Adoption Shop

casowner

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both AWL Qld & RSPCA Qld are also doing Pop Up Adoption Shops. The latter had one recently with kittens at Toowong Shopping Centre. Went very well. AWL Qld has one coming up at MacGregor on Brisbane's south

side (26 April).

And one in New York, too! With catachinos. :)

http://www.fastcompany.com/3029496/fast-feed/new-york-citys-version-of-the-cat-cafe-strays-on-the-bowery-catachinos

Edited by mita

We have been hosting fortnightly adoption shops since May 2012 but this is the first Stand alone. We are trying to get funding for a dual Cat Cafe/Rescue and city cat Boarding facility as the building is split level and 700sqm

We are trying to get funding for a dual Cat Cafe/Rescue and city cat Boarding facility as the building is split level and 700sqm

:thumbsup:

Cat cafes are beginning to spring up....there's one in London called Lady Dinah's cat cafe, close to the main business district. People love to chill out with a cup of tea or coffee and cats to pat. Last time I looked, it was booked out for a couple of months ahead.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/home/feline-fans-flock-to-lady-dinahs-cat-emporium-londons-first-cat-cafe/story-fngwib2y-1226875251840

Makes sense to combine it with rescue, like you're doing.

Edited by mita

We are trying to get funding for a dual Cat Cafe/Rescue and city cat Boarding facility as the building is split level and 700sqm

Cat cafes are beginning to spring up....there's one in London called Lady Dinah's cat cafe, close to the main business district. People love to chill out with a cup of tea or coffee and cats to pat. Last time I looked, it was booked out for a couple of months ahead.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/home/feline-fans-flock-to-lady-dinahs-cat-emporium-londons-first-cat-cafe/story-fngwib2y-1226875251840

Makes sense to combine it with rescue, like you're doing.

Remember now I saw this a couple of years ago in Japan on TV. As space is tight & many people can't keep pets they started these pat the cat coffee shops there.

This little girl came in with her 7 1/2 year old mum today and the kitten was adopted by a volunteer and mum by someone that has been in everyday waiting for the right cat :)

(the bunny is mine)

post-23033-0-80760600-1398245621_thumb.jpg

I have been thinking of different fundraising ideas and one is offering the wall space to artists on commission as we are close to the city and the shop was a higher end eclectic furniture shop previously. I am also thinking maybe something completely different such as Memory Trees, we plant 100's of trees on our property (Trees for Life) and I was thinking of maybe having tree planting days where people adopt a tree for $15.00 as a memory for current or past pet and they would get home made damper etc for lunch and all profits go to the rescue group. The people would get to plant their own tree, I am just tossing around ideas at the moment. I am not a part of the group just a supporter

Edited by casowner

Sounds like a good idea! If I was closer I would definitely hang some art with the group. I used to help the RSPCA in a similar way. Artists usually look at paying 40-60% to a gallery so if you could get some artists on board it could be a great way to raise some funds! Maybe see if you can find some local pet portrait artists as they would no doubt love the attention from people involved in or adopting.

This little girl came in with her 7 1/2 year old mum today and the kitten was adopted by a volunteer and mum by someone that has been in everyday waiting for the right cat :)

(the bunny is mine)

I have been thinking of different fundraising ideas and one is offering the wall space to artists on commission as we are close to the city and the shop was a higher end eclectic furniture shop previously. I am also thinking maybe something completely different such as Memory Trees, we plant 100's of trees on our property (Trees for Life) and I was thinking of maybe having tree planting days where people adopt a tree for $15.00 as a memory for current or past pet and they would get home made damper etc for lunch and all profits go to the rescue group. The people would get to plant their own tree, I am just tossing around ideas at the moment. I am not a part of the group just a supporter

I think that's a lovely idea. I think people love to plant something in memory and many people wouldn't have gardens to be able to do this.

Maybe you could have some good quality cat items (have a look on Etsy for inspiration) and smaller ones such as magnets.

Over the years I've bought some beautiful cat themed items for friends such as hand painted tiles etc.

Art on the walls for sale is another great idea in a café! Even my Dr's surgery does that now.

Remember now I saw this a couple of years ago in Japan on TV. As space is tight & many people can't keep pets they started these pat the cat coffee shops there.

You're right, Christina.... you've jogged my memory. I first heard of cat cafes in Japan, too!

Seems like they may have started there.

(the bunny is mine)

I have been thinking of different fundraising ideas and one is offering the wall space to artists on commission as we are close to the city and the shop was a higher end eclectic furniture shop previously.

Great how you're being creative & brainstorming all sorts of fundraising ideas. :thumbsup:

The volunteers had protestors there this morning not allowing them to enter and harassing them so I called the Police but they dispersed before they got here, Channel 9 is there now doing an interview some people should be ashamed of themselves and they should educate themselves rather than behave like this. After some threats on FB last night we are pretty sure they are from another rescue group, how appalling

Edited by casowner

The volunteers had protestors there this morning not allowing them to enter and harassing them so I called the Police but they dispersed before they got here, Channel 9 is there now doing an interview some people should be ashamed of themselves and they should educate themselves rather than behave like this. After some threats on FB last night we are pretty sure they are from another rescue group, how appalling

Casowar, let those protestors... & the general public... know that both RSPCA Qld and AWL Qld are conducting Pop Up Shop Adoptions. Adoption processes are followed that protect the safety of the pets.... same as for any adoption. The point is getting pets for adoption close to the general public in surroundings that are not stressful for people and for animals.

Incidentally, Honourable Michael Kirby (retired from High Court of Australia) has just agreed to be Patron of AWL Qld. Not surprising....AWL Qld has a great reputation for conducting their business ethically. Gets seal of approval from Michael Kirby.... who has an interest in animal welfare.

Nut jobs :mad

A photostream from AWL Qld's Pop Up Adoption Shop at Macgregor, southside suburb of Brisbane, this morning. People in purple T-shirts are experienced AWL assessors/rehomers. Also there's pics of interested adopters being taken thro' the beginning adoption paperwork.

https://www.facebook.com/AWLQLD/photos_stream

AWL Qld's actual shelters are well outside the main Brisbane area (Gold Coast & Ipswich).

So this gave Brisbane people a far more accessible way to meet with the pets for adoption, in a relaxed and unstressed environment. As you can see from the pics ... very happy human & pet faces!

Edited by mita

We have been doing those types in our pet store every fortnight for over 2 years now and they are really successful. From all accounts today was just about standing room only and they have the entire 300sqm upstairs in their own shop. It is supposed to finish tomorrow but I am going to talk to the landlord to see if they can have at least one more week. After today it would probably be over 100 cat adoptions in just under 2 weeks

We have been doing those types in our pet store every fortnight for over 2 years now and they are really successful.

It's a win-win situation all round, while the usual careful adoption processes are in place.

Edited by mita

If it is another rescue group they should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves, and reconsider both their motivations in doing rescue and in fact their participation in rescue altogether. I think the pop up cat cafe is a brilliant idea and you deserve lots of pats on the back for making such a clever concept work. If another rescue group is trying to block you rehoming cats, they're not a rescue group, they're just a lot of bloody-minded, sanctimonious dills. Poor cats already have enough issues without some nitwits getting their idiot jollies by trying to stop a successful and innovative idea. And now I'll stop before I say what I really think. :laugh: