Lump On Front Right Elbow

Hi all

Sara has quite a large lump that i thought / think was a callus on her front elbow.

It has been ok until day before when i noticed her licking it. I noticed a tiny bit of blood on a small patch of it.

Come yesterday, when she got back from her walk, i checked on it again, and it looked like there was dry milk like substance on it. I cleaned it and put some rubbing alcohol on it. I then covered it with a damp make shift bandage, which is actually a cut up sock. I have tried to moisturize the lump lately then cover it with this sock. She just eventually pulls it off her self.

When pressed, after i noticed this white substance, more would ooze out. It eventually stopped.

Today it looks like while i was away at work a little more came out on to her bed, just specs here and there. I cleaned it again, and applied a warm compress for about 5 minutes. No more fluid came out.

After doing the compress, i kind of bandaged the sock to her so she hopefully doesn't pull it off, and i haven't noticed any blood on it or on her bed at all.

Does anyone know what this is? Is it a cause for concern?

Cheers

post-42472-0-86262500-1398248286_thumb.jpg

post-42472-0-65162500-1398248293_thumb.jpg

She is going, they are currently closed, and will be by the time i get home tomorrow. So unless they are open on friday, it will have to be Saturday.

So looking at what i can do in the mean time if i can't get tomorrow off.

Or other helpful advice.

That looks to be something which has been there for a while :(

don't squeeze it .. you may accidentally be spreading whatever ..or irritating it .....maybe instead of putting alcohol on. Use salty water ..and take her to teh vet ASAP.

It definitely has been, has never made her think twice. It has gradually gotten bigger, i thought it was a callus as she is always on that elbow.

I am hoping to get to the vet first thing tomorrow morning.

The vet said it was Calcinosis Circumscripta.

He said the only real way to get rid of it is through surgery, but it is not urgent. It is not infected and doesn't need antibiotics.

He also said it wasn't likely that it would get infected. She is allowed to lick it, and no need to dress it, clean it etc.

Cost of removal: $500

Did the vet run any blood tests to have a look to see if there is an underlying problem?

The white milky stuff you are seeing really is white milky stuff - calcium which is being pushed out of the bloodstream.

Sometimes especially if its localised and only in one place it can be caused by trauma but often its caused by an underlying issue and when one is cut off another will show up.

if this were my dog I would like some bloods done just to be double sure that its a no big deal and not the first sign of something else going on.

ouch :( hopefully you can organise its removal soon - must be very uncomfortable .And getting bloods and a fine needle biopsy would be helpful as well ... there are things which aren't infected which can still be a decided worry ... perhaps you might need to do some reading, so you can talk about it with the vet?

It actually doesn't bother her, it's bothering me more lol.

If she is licking at it, etc ..it is bothering her ,and is probably painful .

Edited by persephone

Damn it!

I don't want to worry you and most probably its not something else going on - usually just one is seen as pretty normal and your vet is probably right but its is sometimes a warning sign that there is something else going on and spotting that sooner for me is better than later so if it were mine Id ask for the bloods to be checked just in case.

Edited by Steve

Damn it!

I don't want to worry you and most probably its not something else going on - usually just one is seen as pretty normal and your vet is probably right but its is sometimes a warning sign that there is something else going on and spotting that sooner for me is better than later so if it were mine Id ask for the chemicals to be checked just in case.

Fully understand where you're coming from and appreciate your input!