Breed Choice Advice

Vbs

@aussielover. I will definitely consider a mini schnauzer too. What in particular about lagottos would you say is challenging?

@showdog- I agree the Boston seems an odd choice with the others but it appeals to me because of its small size but big personality. Also, whilst it is not non-shedding I think it has a relatively low maintenance coat?

Do you want non-shedding or low maintenance coat because they are the exact opposite? The non-shedding coats require the most maintenance with very frequent brushing to stop the curls forming knots and professional clipping every 6 weeks. Short coats require a lot less maintenance but shed everywhere all year round. Long coats generally have low to medium grooming which increases to high maintenance for a few weeks twice a year when they shed coat.

Of the listed breeds I would choose the Poodle because they are the smartest of that lot, easily trained and generally friendly with people and other dogs but they do have to be brushed and clipped.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what the prices are for them but I do think pulis would be a good option. I've met a few and they've all been lovely chilled out little dogs, bit bigger than a mini poodle but smaller than a wheaten. Nothing that says you have to have their coat corded if you don't want to of course, they could be clipped shorter as wit any other groomed breed

Pulis do similar work to Kelpies so are a very high energy dog.

If your leaning towards a poodle I suggest be very careful about your breeder and go for a black over other colours.

Poodles are a highly intelligent working dog, they do best not being left alone for long periods and given plenty of mental stimulation and exercise. Many of them have high prey drive and majority I know/knew are not keen on kids.

If their needs are not catered for they become a problem, I groom more poodles that bite their owners than any other breed.

Thanks dancingbcs. I agree non-shedding and low maintenance are exact opposites - I'm happy to meet the grooming needs of a poodle or conversely have low grooming needs like a whippet- but I don't want a long haired dog like a lab or retriever that sheds their hair anywhere.

I don't know what the prices are for them but I do think pulis would be a good option. I've met a few and they've all been lovely chilled out little dogs, bit bigger than a mini poodle but smaller than a wheaten. Nothing that says you have to have their coat corded if you don't want to of course, they could be clipped shorter as wit any other groomed breed

Pulis do similar work to Kelpies so are a very high energy dog.

And they work using their bark. I have yet to meet a quiet one.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I'll second the Keeshond- definitely worth investigating.

I had one when I was a teenager & happy go lucky definitely is an apt description. They are such great family dogs, robust & fun loving & just made for cuddling! They are like happy little bears. :D

Their fur does need a good brush through once or twice a week, but they don't shed a lot (unlike my Golden Retriever :eek: ).

There's a lot of negativity about the lagotto in this thread. Any lagotto lovers out there?

I hadn't heard concerns about their temperament before and would love to hear some more opinions.

I wouldn't say it's negativity towards the lagotti but rather very honest opinions. I love my own breed the Dalmatian, but I have never made a recommendation to anyone to get one - they are so high energy and can be problematic if not satisfied. Out of my whole family, I only have one relative that I would even consider allowing to have one of my puppies.

Better if someone knows EVERYTHING about a breed before jumping in and possibly getting burnt.

I meet my first lagotto tomorrow hopefully!

From the lagotti I have met, they have ranged from very happy friendly dogs to rather shy. I have never seen any aggression in any of the ones I have met. Of course, this is NZ and most lagotti here are from imported bloodlines and carefully bred, the breed is also still very rare here, less than 100 dogs. I don't know the state of the breed in Aus though.

I'd say they are definitely a working breed and need plenty of exercise and stimulation, from my own research into the breed. They apparently love swimming but a good number a big time diggers so something to think about if you have a nice garden! I know one person with a pet one here gave the dog its own "digging pit" to use, they'd hide treats in there and it helped keep it out of their garden. I think its a breed that would love a job to do or to compete in canine sports. I think early and extensive socialization is probably important too. It was one I have considered for myself in the past, for show and sports, but I've decided dogs that need heaps of grooming aren't for me lol.

Edited by kiwifeathers

A couple of the lagotti I've met have been timid but never aggressive. There's an animal scientist in Vic who is also a breeder of lagotti. She breeds them as opposed to the aussie shepherds she used to be devoted to because she thinks they are an example of what is considered a fantastic modern pet. I've met one of hers, active as anything and slightly nutty but not timid...

haha clearly all the ones I met were weird representations of their breed. Never heard a sound out of any of them and one of them i lived mext to for a number of years. Must have been the exceptions of their breed. Thanks for the info :)

The only Puli I've known was quiet and low energy. Also one of the sweetest dogs ever.

I wouldn't say it's negativity towards the lagotti but rather very honest opinions. I love my own breed the Dalmatian, but I have never made a recommendation to anyone to get one - they are so high energy and can be problematic if not satisfied. Out of my whole family, I only have one relative that I would even consider allowing to have one of my puppies.

Better if someone knows EVERYTHING about a breed before jumping in and possibly getting burnt.

I meet my first lagotto tomorrow hopefully!

Agreed DDD, it's great to see people NOT recommending breeds that may not fit.

Vbs, I just saw this post and, even though it looks like you've decided against a lagotto, I thought I'd throw my 2cents into the ring. We got our LR pup when our youngest child was just 1yo. Tintin has been the most wonderful dog to have with children. I don't think we just got lucky. We were very particular about breeders and also about training. He is such a cruisy, gentle boy.

You are more than welcome to come and meet him if you would like to. We are in Mornington, Vic.

the lagottos I know are great dogs, very friendly, stable, well tempered, high energy but not unmanageable, the 2 I know belong to a disabled woman who can barely move and are regularly managed by the neighbourhood children. now, all the lagotto's I have met are from the same breeder(the 2 belonging to the disabled woman and I met 5 of the breeders dogs when she was in town) so its entirely possible it's just that line that I love so much lol

Thanks tintin jac. I'd be interested to know who you got your pup from and whether you specifically said you wanted a more cruisy, laid back temperament? And does he dig? And is he left at home much by himself. I'm nervous about getting a lagotto if we can't meet his attention/energy needs, although they do seem like great, fun dogs. Because I have had a poodle in the past (who was sweet and gentle and chills out too) I feel like I understand more what they are like.