Canberra Sled Dog Club - Beginners Day

idigadog

They come up on gumtree a fair bit

For example

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/pimpama/other-sports-fitness/dog-racing-scooter/1043575365

Should be able to pick up something under $300 if you're quick replying to the ads.

( I was going to link you to one in NSW for $75 but that went super quickly)

Or if you are or know anyone handy you can try DIY if you have an old bike..

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Won't have time this year but going to try and get there next year my boy will be fully grown then too! I think a large Aussie would be capable!

Is there much dog friendly accommodation in/around Canberra?

Oh wait I thought this was the one THIS weekend! Hmmm I might be able to make it...

Do you mean the one at Wingello run by the Siberian Husky Club of NSW? Yes, that is tomorrow.

The one run by the Canberra Sled Dog Club is the 18th May :)

Oh wait I thought this was the one THIS weekend! Hmmm I might be able to make it...

Do you mean the one at Wingello run by the Siberian Husky Club of NSW? Yes, that is tomorrow.

The one run by the Canberra Sled Dog Club is the 18th May :)

I've sent an email :) Very interested. Might bring along a friend with her staghound too.

Hmm now whether to get up at 4am and drive or stay the night somewhere?

Very tempted, but I think the Borzoi would go bush.

Lol Diva - you and me both - I reckon I'd end up in the nearest lake. Sounds like great fun though!

Yeah I can just see mine deciding to chase a roo and me dragged behind bouncing on the dirt :laugh:

But I have gone along to watch before and it is great fun, the participating dogs look to love it.

About 2 1/2 hours.

Okay. Well you don't need to be there early. If you wanted to turn up at 10.00am that would be fine. Then you can leave home at around 7.30am - much more civilised.

I've rearranged my weekend so we can come along. I've been dying to try sledding with the sammys, can't say no to an intro day so close to home :D

Hooray!!!! But you do know that our normal training area is right at your back door right? No excuses girl!!!

Very tempted, but I think the Borzoi would go bush.

Lol Diva - you and me both - I reckon I'd end up in the nearest lake. Sounds like great fun though!

Yeah I can just see mine deciding to chase a roo and me dragged behind bouncing on the dirt :laugh:

But I have gone along to watch before and it is great fun, the participating dogs look to love it.

LOL you guys are funny :D I can assure you that the training track is very very easy at Stromlo Park. It's basically an oval shape of about 800m in total. No lakes, no roos and no obstacles that could cause distraction.

We will place club members along the trail to ensure that everyone is safe and has the best experience possible. Andrew and I will take one of our dogs out and he will be the 'bunny' on the day as some dogs really like to chase.

All we ask is that you bring your own safety gear, helmet and gloves and water for your dogs. Oh, and dogs are to be kept on lead at all times but we are going to take our stake-out lines out so people can clip their dogs on to them if they are hard to hold.

It is a lot of fun. We've been doing this sport for 18 years now and never get tired of it. The demo day is a good way to suss out whether you and your dog are keen and then if you're interested, you can come out to regular training sessions with the club at Kowen Forest every weekend :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

It's the same day as Million Paws walk, which I'd already committed to being at!

I so wanted to go sledding :(

Eta - and to meet everyone! Lisa, I was so looking forward to introducing Quinn and Nova :cry:

Edited by Simply Grand