How To Stop Puppy Stealing Other Dog's Balls

bbjai

Hi guys

I've had my lovely french bulldog for over a 10 months and he has just turned 1. I've always had this problem but not thought much of it until recently. My french bulldog has a very bad habit of going to the park and stealing ANYONEs ball and just holding it. He will run for other balls and take it into his mouth. Usually he has only done this on free balls but quite recently he has started grabbing it out of other dog's mouths or started fights when the dogs both go for the ball at the same time.

I am concerned because he did this to a very nice German Shepherd (who kindly gave up his ball). But if the German Shepherd isn't so nice poor Mac would be in alot of hurt.

What are some ways I can train him to only play with his own ball, or at least not grab the ball of other dogs?

You need to train a recall so that you can call him away from other dog's treasures.

Until you have one, keep him onlead if there is a ball around.

Personally I do not think a public dog park is the place for throwing a ball for your dog. It's an invitation for resource triggered fights as you are learning. However, whiile it's allowed, it's down to you to ensure your dog doesn't steal them.

Right so we have to use a long lead? we tried that for a while and whilst he comes back to us normally he will completely ignore us if there is a ball. I suppose that means we haven't done it properly.

thanks most people are ok with him stealing it so ill endevaour to keep him on a long lead from now on

Right so we have to use a long lead? we tried that for a while and whilst he comes back to us normally he will completely ignore us if there is a ball. I suppose that means we haven't done it properly.

thanks most people are ok with him stealing it so ill endevaour to keep him on a long lead from now on

the people might be ok but some of the dogs? One day he will come upon the wrong dog, one snap can cause a big problem.

Definitely something to get on top of... we were just at the park with maybe 20 dogs all playing nicely when Didi calmly approached a huge shepherd to say 'hi'. I didn't see it had a ball in its mouth and it growled and went to snap at her(even though she had not even looked at his ball) and I just thought about if your pup had been in this situation and had actually stolen this particular dog's ball that he may have gotten very badly hurt.

I can understand people throwing a ball in very large parks where you can completely separate yourself from others but I can't stand it when people let their dog walk around with a ball in its mouth or throw a ball amongst a large group of other dogs when they know their dog is possessive about the ball. Common sense to not let a dog with resource guarding behaviors have access to a ball around other strange dogs.

If he has a good drive for balls, have you thought about using one as a reward to build his recall? A ball on a rope toy is awesome for recall games.

Hi Huski

I have tried this, we bought him a new ball recently and he stuck to that ball like glue. But as soon as a new ball comes along he will drop his own ball and pick up the new ball. I'm not sure what to do. He was quite attached to his new ball but this morning someone threw a new ball out and he latched onto it straight away, literally stealing it out of a dog's mouth. I'm getting really concerned now, he use to never do this when he was younger. He broke the ball so I gave his own ball to the other dog.

It doesn't seem to matter what ball as long as it's being thrown he will want to take it.

IF a long lead is not safe then how do people practice recall with distractions at a park with balls? Are we essentially saying he shouldn't go to the dog park then?

IF a long lead is not safe then how do people practice recall with distractions at a park with balls? Are we essentially saying he shouldn't go to the dog park then?

I think the general idea is to not allow the dog a risk of being hurt by another dog until such time as you have him trained to accept your commands.

Cool thanks I think I'm taking a three pronged approach to this:

Buy a more expensive ball (he seems to only go for the orange ones from chuck it)

Train Leave It and Drop it

Train Recall with a lead (not long lead)

I would be doing a lot of training and then setting up a controlled situation with a willing participant who throws around various balls BUT picks them up if your pup decides not to respond to your recall. If he recalls you throw the ball. And have several on you. Progressively make it more difficult until he realises that you are the only source of fun.