Dog Is Off Target

samoyedman

Apparently they have a gland in their feet which releases pheromones. So by kicking and scraping they are spreading the scent the way a big cat scratches a tree.

He is saying I am here :laugh:

I never new that, I thought Stan was just mighty proud of his effort :laugh:

:laugh: I'm sure they are proud too! Lakota used to be a bad one for it. Always the top dog and she hated dogs going over her bit. My male dog once tried to remark over hers so she came up being him (she was twice his size) and promptly peed on his head. I'm pretty sure he coped the grass in the face act too :laugh:

I know a dog (not mine) who is determined to do it right on top of his poo so he kicks it everywhere :o You have to stand there watching him poo and pull him away before he's even standing up straight again so he can kick up grass instead of poo everywhere *eye roll*

Is this scent why their feet smell like popcorn? :confused:

How do you know that? You sniff dog paws? :)

Of course.

Vizslas have webbed feet. After a day in the field hunting & working, we always do a 'paw' check. You would be surprised what one 'sniffs' there...

We look for injuries & foregin objects. If one of the dogs is ever lame, I check there is no grass seed. Sometimes with my dogs, the wound starts to heal with the seed in situ. And man does that stink.

Puppy paws I like to kiss on account of being besotted with cuddly puppies.

:rofl:

Cat-dog cross ;)

I was thinking on same lines. Maybe take him to Species Re-orientation Therapy run by a cat.

Yes! The cat would initially make out like they were teaching the dog how to be much more stealthy, mysterious and effective in getting what they want, but it would eventually become clear that it was part of a diabolical scheme to make the human get rid of the dog so the cat could claim the bed and the kitchen bench...

Is this scent why their feet smell like popcorn? :confused:

How do you know that? You sniff dog paws? :)

When I first joined DOL there was a thread about paw smells, which of course prompted me to smell my own dogs paws, and they smell surprisingly lovely. I now sniff mine regularly if we are having lying down cuddles!

So how many of you went and had a sniff after I mentioned popcorn????