Using Texta As Sun Protection

Hi, just wondering if anyone out there has used texta (obviously non-toxic) on their dog instead of sunscreen? If so, what did you think of it? I've been advised to do so by my vet and am trying to adjust to the idea. Thanks!!

I think i would go down the logical path of sunscreen for sun protection,

I gather its a small area lacking in pigment & use texta can be used to blend the colour but never heard any vet suggest it for sun protection .

Hi all, thanks for replying!! It's not on the wet nose itself. It's on the muzzle above the nose where the border collie gets a patch of white fur. My girl has had some nasty folliculitis going on (it's still not better, but healing) , the skin is going to be tender and prone to burning and the vet has said I'll have to colour in the skin with a texta for sun protection. I think it sounds weird myself and would prefer to use sunscreen. :confused:

..the vet maybe needs to have a think -

please do NOT put anything on it for some weeks yet , until it has completely healed . ..and your pups will be spending a lot of time sleeping /under shelter for some time yet - do some research - and find a dog , or human baby sunscreen , preferably one which gets absorbed fast , so it isn't licked off !

Thanks guys! Aussielover, I didn't even think about the lack of uv block in the texta - it's so obvious though! I wonder why the vet recommended it then? And persephone, don't worry, we won't be putting anything on her til she's healed. I'll look for a fast absorbing pet sunscreen. If anyone knows of a good product, I'd appreciate the advice! :)

There is a product called DeNose Nose and it is a temporary colour for the nose.

It is non toxic and obviously meant to be put on a dogs nose. I think that would work better than Texta.