Home Made Dog Treats

Hey all, just curious if any of you make your own dog treats and if you would share some ideas!

I've always dabbled in making home made dog treats, I often make meatloaf muffins, liver treats, kangaroo meat treats etc.

Recently I invested in a dehydrator.. oh I have become slightly obsessed!

I've been dehydrating chicken wings and necks, doggie jerky, and chunks of sweet potato.

Yesterday I made liver treats - the doggies will almost do somersaults to get them!!

And today I blended some left over chicken with some lentils, spinach and garlic - the dogs keep begging to go outside and hover around the dehydrator lol!

Anyone else **slightly obsessed with spoiling their pooches?

Heres my list of homemade treats Homemade treats It is not conclusive though & there are lots of other things I use as well...but these are my basics :) Because my dogs get so many of them, I make sure they are healthy. That is why I don't like using things like hot dogs.

Nice blog Sheena! :)

:thanks: I might try the sweet potato idea one day, though for the effort, I don't think they would last too long in our household with all the training we do. I like to make up at least a couple of kilos at time, mix them together & keep them in the freezer. For in the house, on the carpet, unless I am teaching something new, I just use their Black Hawk Kibble, whatever variety I am feeding at the time & of course if comes out of their dinner. I also like to keep a small bag of dried liver or lamb puff in the back of my treat bag, just in case I run out & want to reward something really good like a nice recall. I never leave the house without some sort of treat even if it is just a hastily grabbed pocket of kibble. :)

I make lots of different bickies from a book that was given to me as a gift but I think my greys absolute favourite is these sweet potato chews that a Doler posted a while ago. So simple but my two go nuts over them, I tend to eat the crunchier ones myself when they come out of the oven :)

http://www.dogtreatkitchen.com/sweet-potato-dog-chew.html

HazyWal...what's the book that was given to you....sound interesting :)

I make lots of different bickies from a book that was given to me as a gift but I think my greys absolute favourite is these sweet potato chews that a Doler posted a while ago. So simple but my two go nuts over them, I tend to eat the crunchier ones myself when they come out of the oven :)

http://www.dogtreatkitchen.com/sweet-potato-dog-chew.html

HazyWal...what's the book that was given to you....sound interesting :)

Sheena it's this one. There's a lot of stews and things in there but I've only made the biscuits, sweet and savoury.

http://www.bookworld.com.au/book/the-good-food-cookbook-for-dogs-50-home-cooked-recipes-for-the-health-and-happiness-of-your-canine-companion/1181784/?gclid=CNPl1qeepb4CFQ1xvAod2EIASQ

I got a recipe off DOL eons ago for Salmon Cookies that we make all the time. Sorry but I didn't write down the original DOLer who provided it.

Salmon Cookies

1 can salmon (or tuna or sardines in oil)

1/2 cup flour

1 egg

3 tsp oil

Mix really well together, Flatten on a cookie sheet and mark lines to break apart after cooked. Bake on 160c until hard.

This sweeter type biscuit is also very popular!

Peanut Butter Cookies (from TLC)

1/2 cup oil

1/2 cup water

2 eggs

2 tsp vanilla (optional)

2 cups flour

1 cup oats

3 tsp peanut butter (melted in microwave)

Mix together to form a dough. Add more flour if needed. Roll out to about 1cm thick. Cut into shapes with cookie cutters. Cook for about 20 mins on 200c until they start to brown.

I make chicken breast jerky and for the Special Ed. hound, venison jerky. It's very easy stuff to make and actually smells quite nice while it's drying in the oven.

Liver jerky is another but I have to admit, the more you smell it, the less tolerable that smells becomes. Having said that.. the broth left over from pre-boiling the liver can be added to all sorts of things. I usually let it cool down (to skim the fat off) and then it can be used to replace water in biscuit recipes, used as the water for frozen dog treats, etc. Alternatively, once the fat is skimmed, it can go back on the stove and be cooked down to a rich liver gravy that can be used (in small amounts) to make other foods more appealing or for dogs who need a bit of a boost.

A trainer friend of mine does a roast chicken slice that the dogs absolutely love. I think it was just flour, eggs and BBQ chicken from Coles than had been pureed, those things mixed together and tossed in a cake tin. You could probably replace the wheat flour with something more healthy.

My dog has allergies, so I make his treats as that's the only way I can know for sure that the ingredients are ok. Since he can't have chicken, beef or lamb, I tend to use meats like goat or kangaroo. Mostly I just cut thin slices of meat and spritz with olive oil then bake for 15-20 minutes. Sometimes if human-grade roo is on sale, I'll buy the mince and bake tiny meatballs.

I like sweet potato treats too, thanks for sharing that idea. Yay, something else Bruno can eat! smile.gif