Bark Busters

Can anyone give me any advice on Bark Busters? Are they good or bad? What is the view on their training methods. I have tried to do my research on them but all I come up with is some very old negative reviews and positive reviews from the company?

I would like to hear anything anyone has to say about them good and bad please as I am trying to make a decision to use their services.

Thank you

From my experience it's their way or the highway... they don't necessarily model their training methods to suit individual dogs/owners...

Probably better off asking here for a decent trainer recommendation...

T.

I wouldn't use them. There are far better trainers available that won't cost you as much.

Maybe someone on here can recommend a trainer in WA that will hopefully be close to where you are or can recommend someone in your area.

My neighbour got a bark busters trainer in.

I think he wanted to get his dog to stop barking all the time and attacking birds in the yard.

They spent some time on the back verandah - saying "bah" and throwing a bag with a chain in it at the ground (I think)...

Neighbours tried to keep it up for a couple of days and then stopped. They found me going round the back yard with my dog saying "shitnapiss" and then "good dog" extremely funny and didn't understand why I didn't get embarrassed about it. My dog doesn't kill birds and she stops barking when I ask her to. My neighbours have not asked me for any training advice but they can see what I do. The bloke is a bit old school. He thinks you should not use treats at all for dog training. And that scolding and the occasional infliction of pain (I hear the dog scream) works. His dog is proof that scolding etc does not work.

Made zero difference to what the dog does. She still barks all the time and kills any bird dumb enough to fly too close.

Snickers, what sort of situation do you have? A lot of the local dog clubs will help you work thru issues with your dog, and a lot of them do have contacts with local dog trainers that they know and trust.

Bark Busters - last I heard, it's a franchise, you buy into it and get a couple of weeks training and a handbook. I've not heard of too many good results, and I've heard of some real disasters, too.

If you have an issue that is more behavioural, let us know and we can direct you to those people here in perth.

Dogswest have a list of clubs and contact details, if that helps.

Christine.

His dog is proof that scolding etc does not work.

Off Topic, but that's pretty generalised and no it's not "proof that scolding etc does not work". But it is proof that the method was wrong for this dog; possibly applied incorrectly; possibly wrong for the situation and potentially without other supportive method components. I could say (for example) that the dog next door has a barking issue and 'positive only' methods have been used, but the dog is still barking. Would that be proof that positive methods don't work? Shouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater :).

ETA: I'm not a fan of the "throwing chains/cans" practice that Bark Busters prescribe to.

Edited by Erny

They're a franchise where the franchisee does a short few weeks course to cover how to train a dog, no prior experience required. Then they're unleashed on the world with a no refund policy.

I've had a client stung $800 from them to have their dog put in a crate and stuff thrown at it to shut up (fast track crate training apparently) then prescribed medication on top. Then when said BS doesnt work dog is called a write off and BB never answers phone again.

That's what you get for your money. They follow linear procedure and if that doesnt work majority of their franchisees dont have the experience or real knowledge to fix it.

The Bark Busters rep who attended our local Million Paws Walk was handing out free water spray bottles to try and attract some attention to the business. :eek:

Such old school training methods; he was also seen yanking his poor, terrified dog on a check chain. :(

Off topic again but there's nothing wrong with check chains used correctly either. I've seen plenty of people dragging their poor terrified dogs around on flat collars and harnesses too. It's not about the tool, it's how you apply it.

I had BB come many years ago before I knew better. As per others they spent an hour throwing a chain and bah'ing which meant nothing to her as she wasn't even barking at the time.

Get a recommendation for a trainer on here.

These are all very interesting comments. Bark busters does NOT support the use of Check chains and will not allow their use during any sessions.

Oh bless is the franchise trying to cash in on the positive fashion now is it? Because I know of bb clients who were on chains no worries.

I had Barkbuster assistance in 2002 and could not use a check chain then. Guess it must be different for each consultant. The methods offered to me at the time worked perfectly for the 2 dogs that were fighting and I have been able to use those methods for other undesirable behaviours ever since. I cannot speak highly enough of the consultant that I was assigned and to this day I receive follow up contact. None of the merhods offered to me was inhumane in any way. Just positive reinforcement and much encouragement. As an owner most of the work was up to me.

That is a thing with BB, it's not consistent. Some people HAD good basis of knowledge and joined a franchise for the fact of the marketing provided for them, whereas many had little to no experience before. Just like any of the Jims franchise, some were tradies before, some were not.

Bark busters does NOT support the use of Check chains

No? They put the check chain in a little bag and throw it near the dog.

timing and consistency is everything (for all operant conditioning quadrants) and the BB trainer my neighbour got didn't have it and didn't teach it.

Throwing things at the dog and yelling "bah" is not positive re-inforcement. It might be positive punishment - if they get the timing right and are consistent enough for the dog to make the connection.

Again, I can only comment on the instruction that I received and I can assure you there was NO check chains in little bags as you suggest. I learned ways to make the dogs focus on me and in time the undesirable behaviour was gone. All the methods recommended were positive but not physical. It did require a huge input from me and I suspect most of the people who claimed failure did not put in the time required. No training method will work effectively if it is not repeated daily.

No training method will work effectively if it is not repeated daily.

I don't think you even need to repeat daily. Once a week training will work (provided there is no self reinforcement being naughty in between).

But there's no point going round to help people with their dog problems if you are trying to get them to use a bunch of techniques they're not comfortable using (too harsh or feel stupid or "don't believe in treats"). Or misuse by mistiming or inconsistent application.

It's not just the dog that a trainer needs to train.

A friend of ours had Bark Busters in (used a chain rattling method) - not sure how consistently they have applied the techniques etc. but so far they have not seen good results. It might be worthwhile getting someone in who helps analyse the root cause of any problematic barking (boredom, fear, excitement?)and to address it from there rather than just trying to eliminate all barking?

I'm new to these forums so not sure what the guidelines are on suggesting particular trainers (couldn't see anything in the forum rules about it...). We have had some consultations with a great trainer as we got our first dog this year and wanted some training ourselves - I would highly recommend him. He will definitely take the time to try to analyse the cause of issues and come up with tailored solutions rather than a one size fits all approach, and gives lots of follow up help at no extra charge. I can PM you his details if you like :)

• 2 months later...

I should find this forum before getting Bark Busters to come.

I tried them and I can say they are not good at all.

I get them here becasue my dog has separation anxiety and they are the second trainer I have had.

The guy came here with a lady, just reading the "Lecture slides" to me, not start with analysing my dog's situation.

I think they encourage punishment (not physical).

They gave me two pack of stuff to allow me throwing them to the floor or top of the crate to stop my dog's bad behaviour, like barking when he is on his own at my room.

I also ask them to solve my dog's pulling on lead during walking, and at last they are just losting their patient, forcing my dog to walk behind them by pulling the lead to force the dog behind them.

They try to use "bah" to stop the dog's bad behaviour, although they realize my dog did not listen to this word.

The guy looks like he is not experienced, he looks interested and ask the lady said "Oh, his head down a bit", "Oh, his tail still up"...

I was thinking "Oh Shxx, what am I paying them for"

After they left, I tried their method only on the day and stop as I note that my dog is more unhappy than before. And also he is more attached to me afterward, and do not want to go into the crate (before he can sleep in the crate comfortably with the door open)

It is not a win win situation, instead, both my dog and I loss and they WIN.....

I have now booked Steve @ K9Pro, hopefully he can solve his problem, as currently I cannot go anywhere without my dog following me.

My dog start barking when I was not at home (now is better, he start barking till I walk to my car), I left him in one of the Safe Pole on street for 2 min, and he start barking and pulling. He is not interested in any toys. He is now showing his interested in any kind of animals (he will run to them), he is easily be distracted by any stuff on street during daily walk and at home he is toooo people oriented.