Like Anyone Needed A Reason To Trust Peta Less...

Steph M

This is Off topic, but do people think vegans are crazy? I am not a PETA supporter, but I don't eat or use animal products for ethical reasons. Am I crazy?

My comment had absolutely nothing to do with vegans. Most of my friends are vegan or vego, I have no problem with that lifestyle choice, provided there's no hypocrisy involved (like the vegos who eat chicken or fish, as if these aren't animals). But anyway.

What I do think is crazy is being for the killing of animals (as PETA are when it comes to many animals) but against the eating of them, as if an animals cares about what happens to its carcass once it's dead.

This is Off topic, but do people think vegans are crazy? I am not a PETA supporter, but I don't eat or use animal products for ethical reasons. Am I crazy?

My comment had absolutely nothing to do with vegans. Most of my friends are vegan or vego, I have no problem with that lifestyle choice, provided there's no hypocrisy involved (like the vegos who eat chicken or fish, as if these aren't animals). But anyway.

What I do think is crazy is being for the killing of animals (as PETA are when it comes to many animals) but against the eating of them, as if an animals cares about what happens to its carcass once it's dead.

Completely agree :)

No I don't, there's plenty of meat eaters out there that are nutbags.

There is an anti greyhound racing group that push the "you are supporting the killing of greyhounds and the racing industry" if you are not vegan. Mind you no one actually knows these people and they could be munching on a crumbed cutlet behind that keyboard for all anyone knows but hey...people blindly follow.

I'm all for other people eating whatever they want to... carnivore, vegetarian, vegan, or omnivore (that's me)...

When other people take it upon themselves to try to force me to their choice in a beligerent manner (be that diet, religion, whatever) - all that does is make me even more determined NOT to join them.

As for PETA - all talk and no thought as to the long term outcome if a majority of people actually DID end up taking up their cause... which is too scary for words.

Sometimes I wonder if the invention of the internet was/is such a good thing... as it certainly has brought to the fore the sheer number of batshit crazy people there are out there... errr!

T.

Yep, when I was on FB somehow I had horrific crazy vegan stuff in my newsfeed. It was actually so bad it put me off. I blocked everything and probably missed out on some good stuff but being a murderer for having milk in my morning cuppa was too full on. :(

Bad science is all over the place. This article doesn't improve my opinion of PETA: it's pretty much what I'd expect. Non scientists, especially those with an agenda, grab anything that supports their point of view. The comment on small sample size in the critical article is also bad science. If the outcomes are dramatic, 26 or 30 may be more than adequate for a definitive conclusion (p<0.001). Eg, if I were testing a blood pressure drug and an initial double blind trial on 30 subjects showed that it raised rather than lowered blood pressure for 2/3 of the subjects, and there was no placebo effect with the controls, I wouldn't spend a penny more on that drug. It's when the outcomes are weak that large sample sizes are required.

You'll find equally bad science in some of the pieces saying pedigree dogs are more -- or less -- healthy than mixed breed dogs.

No I don't, there's plenty of meat eaters out there that are nutbags.

There is an anti greyhound racing group that push the "you are supporting the killing of greyhounds and the racing industry" if you are not vegan. Mind you no one actually knows these people and they could be munching on a crumbed cutlet behind that keyboard for all anyone knows but hey...people blindly follow.

Have to wonder why some of these people want to save an animal that would gladly snarf down a delicious baby lamb or adorable calf or fluffy little chick if given half the chance. Why are animals allowed to be predators but humans are "evil" if they do the same? This question bothers me a lot because generally speaking, humans kill their food in a far more humane way than many other animals. Orcas are a great example of that. Really pretty animals, very intelligent, spend 6 hours brutally wounding and then drowning a whale calf, in front of its distraught mother. But that's okay because they're a whale. On the other hand.. walk a cow up a race, hold a captive-bolt pistol to the cow's head and pull the trigger (resulting in almost instant death) and OH NOEZ, TEH CRUELTY!

Provided the animal to be eaten is cared for properly (both physical and mental health) and slaughtered humanely, how is that cruelty?

I like meat, and am under no illusions where it comes from. I am not designed to be vegan, I am designed to be omnivorous... my teeth and organs have evolved to chew and digest pretty much all that I put into my mouth for sustenance.

I'm happy for other people to make their own choices with regards to what they want to eat... but please don't try to force or guilt me into doing the same - it's just not going to happen, OK? I'm not going to tell you that you are wrong either - you can eat whatever you want without it having to affect me, and vice versa, yes?

I'm against humans inflicting pain or suffering on any animal and under any conditions - humane slaughter of our meat animals is quick and efficient in the main...

As for animals hunting their own food and how they go about it - there but for the grace of god I say... if we hadn't evolved the technology to mass produce food for a growing population, we'd still be out there in tribes hunting our own dinner just like the other animals, and I don't think anyone would be knocking back whatever came back from the hunt or complaining that it wasn't killed humanely.

T.