Breed Suggestions- Help!

Nackers

I think an Aussie would work, but I'd suggest researching lines carefully and even then ask the breeder to pick you one of the calmer puppies. Some can be very energetic and highly driven, perhaps a bit boisterous for young children.

Good luck with your search, you sound like you would be great dog owners!

I agree with Cassie and think a Bernese could be lovely smile.gif

Goldies and labs would be on top of my list too.

Edited by LisaCC

Was going to suggest a Papillon! I kid you not they are like a large dog in a small dogs body! I grew up on 1 and a half acres with my papillon, german shepherd, beagle and a groodle. Each dog has their pros and cons but overall the paps are very active but also great at being a calm lap dog when wanted, most are obedient and very clever. They are such a happy lively breed with personality plus, suited for any life style

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Would you consider a rescue dog, mixed breed?

We currently have 2 German Shorhaired pointer x puppies, they are wire haired and are gorgeous :) One looks just like a GWP!

Adelaide All Breed Dog Rescue Inc. photos on fb :)

Would you consider a rescue dog, mixed breed?

We currently have 2 German Shorhaired pointer x puppies, they are wire haired and are gorgeous :) One looks just like a GWP!

Adelaide All Breed Dog Rescue Inc. photos on fb :)

Grimm the Gorgeous ;)

Thank you all very much for the replies and help.

After more research/reading I have narrowed the list down- with the Bernese mountain dog at the top. Followed by golden retriever, flat coat retriever, Aussie shepherd, then Labrador.

Cassie: (or anyone else with Bernese experience) how do they cope with hot weather? I live in country SA and it does get hot during summer. I am not a lover of the heat so most of the time I'm inside under the air con anyway! Would they be ok with being inside in air conditioning and then walks late at night or whenever it cools down? Would they get restless being cooped up inside?

Also how much brushing do they need roughly? Daily? Few times a week? Weekly? And is shedding controlled with regular brushing or do they just shed a lot? Compared to a Labrador for example?

Thank you all again. I will be starting to contact some breeders soon and pestering them :) for any breeders out there- are you happy to be contacted and questioned by potential puppy buyers? I mean just general questions about the breed, suitability, the breeders dogs, health tests etc? I have never bought a puppy from a 'proper' breeder before and I'm not really sure on the right way of going about it- I don't want to offend anyone with my questioning. It's more for my own curiosity, I wouldn't be questioning them personally or anything.

the puppy search continues...

Bernese Mountain dogs are gorgeous :) I've met a few myself but wouldn't consider them to be a particular active breed, I've seen them tucker out pretty quickly.

And you would need to be prepared for the shorter life span as well

After more research/reading I have narrowed the list down- with the Bernese mountain dog at the top. Followed by golden retriever, flat coat retriever, Aussie shepherd, then Labrador.

Temperaments and activity levels vary a fair bit between those breeds. Time to meet some dogs. If longevity matters to you, that's another factor to consider.

Cassie: (or anyone else with Bernese experience) how do they cope with hot weather? I live in country SA and it does get hot during summer. I am not a lover of the heat so most of the time I'm inside under the air con anyway! Would they be ok with being inside in air conditioning and then walks late at night or whenever it cools down? Would they get restless being cooped up inside?

Also how much brushing do they need roughly? Daily? Few times a week? Weekly? And is shedding controlled with regular brushing or do they just shed a lot? Compared to a Labrador for example?

Thank you all again. I will be starting to contact some breeders soon and pestering them :) for any breeders out there- are you happy to be contacted and questioned by potential puppy buyers? I mean just general questions about the breed, suitability, the breeders dogs, health tests etc? I have never bought a puppy from a 'proper' breeder before and I'm not really sure on the right way of going about it- I don't want to offend anyone with my questioning. It's more for my own curiosity, I wouldn't be questioning them personally or anything.

Just in regards to an Aussie in this situation having had a few weeks of 40+ this past summer with a 8-10 month old pup.

He would find the air-conditioning stream and sleep under it all day. BUT, to keep him from going absolutely nuts at night when it cooled down or destructive in the house when I wasn't home, each and every day, I did:

A training session in the early morning followed by a big swim after that. Another training session in the evening and a walk but even then a few nights it didn't drop below 30s so I could not take him for a walk with his fur or he would overheat. So it would be a second swim before dark, and/or making up games like hide and go seek in the house, teaching to find articles and other fun games.

All food not used in training was fed in puzzle feeders too.

Much more work than my lab was at the same age.

My Aussie is just over 1 now, and I'm currently quite sick, I only managed a training session today and a bit of agility practice. "Normally" he would be asleep by now, but now he's wide awake and chewing on an antler instead. Tomorrow I'll be taking him for a run either way.

He's crate trained and will go straight to sleep if I put him in it, but if I'm going to be ill for quite a while which I suspect and I did that each day, he would have way too munch pent up energy.

I can't yet say what they are like as adults, and obviously some individuals have more or less energy, but if my boy is anything to go off, be prepared to give a lot of mental and physical stimulation, even when it's too hot or you are sick.

Edited by LisaCC

Hi again,

I live in SA too. As a general rule BMDs don't love the heat, they'd definitely prefer to be indoors in the aircon with you. Having said that my current boy doesn't suffer too much in the heat, and a friend's Berner actually prefers laying in the direct sun (as opposed to shade or indoors) on scorching days! Strange! But if you can provide aircon inside you'll have no problems.

Shedding is average-high compared to other breeds, and yes regular brushing keeps it under control. I brush my boy about once a week to once a fortnight, but he doesn't have a big coat. I would recommend a brush once or twice a week for most.

I'd be happy to recommend a breeder or two when you are ready :) and also answer any other questions.

Just wanted to let you know there is a show coming up in Monarto 5th Saturday and 6th July... Saturday has 2 shows starting at 8.30am and the next one at 12noon. sunday starts at 9am I'm sure there will be a few different breeds there for you to have a look at

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk