Susan Garrett Recallers Online Course

Ha! Dog bless the obedient crate :laugh:

Mine had another session of quiet time in the crate tonight whilst I was doing stuff in the kitchen and then a quick crate games session whilst Mr TSD was getting their dinner - they were working really well and I figured they couldn't hear him loading their Kong Wobblers. I was wrong. I released them one by one and they BLASTED out of the crate to get their dinner.

superminty - Zig was the same (and worse) but now he will tug when I've got cheese in my hand. Em is at that level now but I'm not as focussed on tug with her as I have so much other stuff to focus on with retrieving.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need some advice. Since playing these games Waldo is stopping about 60cm from me in formal recalls, retrieves, etc. This is a new issue and we are competing this weekend and I was hoping for my first Open pass. How can I fix this?

I need some advice. Since playing these games Waldo is stopping about 60cm from me in formal recalls, retrieves, etc. This is a new issue and we are competing this weekend and I was hoping for my first Open pass. How can I fix this?

Hi Sue - firstly have a look where you are giving the reward. My dogs come in close in front for me but straight to Mr TSD's pocket! Secondly, do you have different cues for formal and informal recalls? Zig has "come" for informal and "front" for formal. If you want to fix it for this weekend, I would go back to working on your formal cue (happy to give more ideas on this if you need it) only. Perhaps focus on crate games and RZ/IYC in formal heel position. Don't worry about getting behind in the course. You can't do everything and there is plenty of time :)

Edited by The Spotted Devil

No I don't have different cues but I will from now on! I am very careful where I reward because I stuffed up big time and had a lot of repair work to do.

I am not sure if the course is what I thought it was thus far. Waldo has a great recall but lacks focus generally. The RZ , ITC, Crate Games and tugging is what I am gaining on. Anyway I will use front as we use that in rally. Thanks.

I suspect the focus will come as a by product of all the games. For the formal front I train sitting in a chair with legs apart so it's easy for the dog to play "find position." Was thinking about the CGG - be careful about leaning forward too much to grab the collar.

In spite of being on holiday, haven't had a chance to catch up .. on SG or the Fenzi classes I'm auditing.... maybe next week.

But just wanted to pop in and wish Sue and Waldo very good luck for the weekend .. and echo all of TSD's advice. :)

yup, good luck Sue and Waldo :thumbsup:

For those playing kids in the hall with a crate, how are you getting your dog back in the crate for the next time.

With Collie I'm pointing to the crate and saying GO! he's driving into the crate and turning around eagerly waiting for the next time but I'm not sure if we should be putting a cue on it yet.

The general rule is add the cue when you have the end behaviour you want. I have a word for crate and I throw a treat in as soon as they are inside but I don't start the game again until they are sitting at the back. I add in a few random treats for steadiness too. Always balance!

Ok another question from me today.

I've been playing tug with the dogs when I get home from work, it's practically impossible any other time.

Collie has a pretty soft mouth most of the time but when he does get a good grip I'm not totally convinced he's enjoying the activity. He seems to whine out of frustration because he wants me to give him the toy and doesn't really move around much.

On the rare occasion I can get Sarah to join in she seems to really enjoy it, she'll shake her head and have a bit of a growl

A couple of things I've found with playing tug.

* Keep it short and fun :)

* Take note of the types of materials your dog likes to put in its mouth, and what types of toys they like and types they don't seem as keen on the feel

* Start with toys that they really like, and as you improve then include some they don't like as much

* Different dogs play differently, it may take time to figure out your dog's play style

* Let your dog feel that he is winning, you can let them 'pull' you if they are giving good weight shift on the toy, give ground to them

I did find some success with letting the dog win - I literally let go when they were really pulling!

I think I'm the slowest here. I've had a shocking few days at work and have been only doing really random collar grab/IYC. Tonight was the first time I tried crate games.

My girl (the one I'm doing this for) was textbook. She's such a little worker bunny and loves getting it right :). My boy was a massive fail when he wrenched the lead out from under my foot to go chase possums.

MrsRB thanks for the tips about ball chasing/off lead runs. 18 days may end up being 40 odd at this rate but I'll plod away!

Remember it's not a race! Just have FUN :thumbsup:

I'm off retrieving trialling for the weekend so just wanted to say to Sue and anyone else trialling to enjoy playing with your dog in the ring! You can't beat our debut in Open at the Dally Nationals Sue...Zig worked divinely and then got a bit disoriented on the retrieve over the jump (the dumbbell bounced to one side) and took the dumbbell back to the judge :laugh: We were both wearing black pants and poor Zig was just sitting there waiting for "me" to take the dumbbell. He was so confused when I called him over. The judge and onlookers were heartbroken but fortunately I saw the funny side :laugh:

Max#1

there's usually a group that refers to themselves as "the turtles". Lynda (Orton Hill) herself usually leads that group. And they're often in the tuggers.

To mix in with your IYC and collar grab... add some nose touches - ie get your dog to target your hand with their nose and reward that with a treat in your now nose-slimed hand... see if you can get repeat nose touches, then work on IYC with the nose touch - and see how many nose touches you can get while you wave treats around with your other hand...

ie I've usually got my left hand out, with my elbow braced against my leg for the nose touches, and then try to drop treats into my left hand from above with my right hand - but only when she stops trying to look at the treats while she's snotting away. It is the funniest trick - because of the way she keeps trying to do two things at once...

I had a bit more luck with tugging last night. I literally got out every toy that you could tug with and experimented. My dogs are a bit weird, they both prefer to get their teeth around a bit of normal sized rope, not the thick rope they usually have on tug toys. Oh well I'll go with it, I even got Sarah tugging by herself, usually she joins in with Collie and it's 2 against 1 (1 being me)

Collie is getting really good at crate games and I'm managing to combine crate games, RZ and kids in the hall with the one game.

I was playing crate games with Sarah last night and also training Collie to stay on the ottoman while I'm training sarah in the crate as we only have the 1 crate. All was fine until we got to yer in, yer out. It turned into yer in, yer out and then yer both in as Collie decided he wanted to join in as well :laugh:

Ha ha, at last you know there is value for the crate!

I was just shamelessly manipulated into another training session - Thisbe has spent most of the last hour hanging out in the "training room" - the little area of my lounge where the fun stuff lives (i.e. the crate). She did a bit of yer in yer out on her own, then stared at the treats, then the toys, then me, then wandered around for a while before starting it all again. I probably should have waited her out or put her to bed but I have been neglecting her the last two days - she really likes these games!

No superminty don't fall for it :laugh: You'll regret it!!!

Camping tonight (4C min tonight and -2C tomorrow night!) - let the dogs have a good gallop in the paddock (so LOTS of amazing smells) - used their names and recall word variously and both of them were spot on. Really chuffed, especially with Miss Em.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

No superminty don't fall for it :laugh: You'll regret it!!!

I know, I know. I will try to be stronger next time.

Camping tonight (4C min tonight and -2C tomorrow night!) - let the dogs have a good gallop in the paddock (so LOTS of amazing smells) - used their names and recall word variously and both of them were spot on. Really chuffed, especially with Miss Em.

Nice work.

---------------ALERT ALERT ALERT ICPeeps Rego -----------------

IC PEEPS first come first serve - server jam - ie opportunity to get into IC Peeps

at 10:30pm tonight SA time.

You can only join if you've already signed up for Recallers...

If you're already in Recallers - you should have an email.

If you didn't get the email telling you to watch out for the ICPeeps rego email with link...

you need to email customer happiness and ask to be put on the list

eg put in the subject line

"Please put me on the ICPeeps rego email list - I'm in recallers and I didn't get the warning email".

This is what I get for being busy all weekend.

Use the time converter here (convert from Canada Toronto time to your local)

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

---------end ALERT ICPeep rego-----

thanks for the heads up MRB, I'll be fast asleep for the IC rego, although that's probably a good thing :D

I had a bit of a break through last night, Collie and Sarah have finally realised that if I open a door for them they better wait until I say 'ok' otherwise it's not happening :thumbsup:

This has been my own little IYC game with the dogs because they love running through door ways and generally don't care if they bowl people over in the process

Now to pull out the distractions and see how we go, maybe throw a few treats through first...

I have a funny, sort-of-brag to report.

I am sitting reading a book and then I start to tune in to the commotion coming from the dining room. Husband is saying "Del what are you doing??? What is wrong with you!!"

Then husband comes to me and says 'what is up with Del? I have been throwing chicken at her and she won't eat it! She is only eating it when I feed it straight to her mouth. There is chicken all over the floor and everything."

Haha! So I guess our IYC training is going well :cool:

Leah, have you had a go playing the hide-n-seek game? I found that game put Del in the mood for tugging. But still we are tugging dunces really.

I would love Del to tug, it would be so much more pleasant to carry a tug toy around in my pocket than some treats.