Titre Testing Only For Rabies?!

Serket

No worries LT, each to their own :)

It just frustrates me when I'm trying so hard to do the right thing by my babies and I know deep down it's the right thing to do. I trust my gut instinct fully when it comes to taking care of my Pugs.

If vaccinating is what is right for Aidan2 then that is fair enough, but I feel like he is pushing his agenda onto us, like he is expecting us to conform to his way if thinking.

I feel you are taking this way way way too personally. Aidan isn't the thought police. he is just a person with an educated opinion.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It just frustrates me when I'm trying so hard to do the right thing by my babies and I know deep down it's the right thing to do. I trust my gut instinct fully when it comes to taking care of my Pugs.

If vaccinating is what is right for Aidan2 then that is fair enough, but I feel like he is pushing his agenda onto us, like he is expecting us to conform to his way if thinking.

I feel you are taking this way way way too personally. Aidan isn't the thought police. he is just a person with an educated opinion.

Okay MUP, thank you for your feedback :)

This is why you should consult your vet. They have studied the immune system and understand its complexities better than most random strangers on the Internet.

The article makes sense. The causes of transmissible disease and infection are many and varied and animals have evolved many and varied ways to combat them. Titres indicate just one part of these. More useful for some diseases than others.

There is no clear cut answer on this, which is why I think criticisms of vets who don't or won't titre are unfair.

Maybe you should start your own thread about vaccinating versus titre testing? This thread isn’t about that. This thread is clearly for people who are interested in titre testing and want to find out where/how to do it. Sorry, it's just that you seem to have your own agenda (defending your views) and it isn't helpful; it's actually quite negative.

When threads get derailed I find that people stop replying to the original question, which isn't very helpful to those who are still discussing it, so thank you Queen Maeby for trying to keep this one on track :-) I still have a few vets to call next week when I get a moment, and I will update if I find any on the Coast who are happy to titre test. Thank you to everyone who has PM'd me with suggestions :-) it's much appreciated

Guest hankodie

Agreed, how strange :confused: people regularly contribute their opinions to these threads and I don't think Aidan was being negative or "pushing his agenda" in the slightest.

This is why you should consult your vet. They have studied the immune system and understand its complexities better than most random strangers on the Internet.

The article makes sense. The causes of transmissible disease and infection are many and varied and animals have evolved many and varied ways to combat them. Titres indicate just one part of these. More useful for some diseases than others.

There is no clear cut answer on this, which is why I think criticisms of vets who don't or won't titre are unfair.

Maybe you should start your own thread about vaccinating versus titre testing? This thread isnt about that. This thread is clearly for people who are interested in titre testing and want to find out where/how to do it. Sorry, it's just that you seem to have your own agenda (defending your views) and it isn't helpful; it's actually quite negative.

When threads get derailed I find that people stop replying to the original question, which isn't very helpful to those who are still discussing it, so thank you Queen Maeby for trying to keep this one on track :-) I still have a few vets to call next week when I get a moment, and I will update if I find any on the Coast who are happy to titre test. Thank you to everyone who has PM'd me with suggestions :-) it's much appreciated

No worries, and thank you for understanding what I was trying to do: keep the thread on track. I didn't mean to be so intense; I just feel very strongly about this :)

Edited by Queen Maeby

Aiden was offering his very educated opinion, just because it doesn't agree with yours does not make it off topic?????

I have given my dog their puppy course then a triennial at 15 months. I am considering giving them a titre at that 3 year booster mark. I have worked with and seen parvo and what it can do hence my somewhere in the middle take on it.

My vet charges the path fees, a consult and a collection fee. I was originally told $250 but I know someone who got it done more recently and it was under $100. We are in WA and they send all their bloods to vetpath.

In answer to the OP, I have emailed a few vets for quotes as Shock is 15months old now so needs testing. If need be I will get her done in Sydney or next time we are back in Canberra, but if there is someone around here that will do it for what I consider to be a reasonable price then it will be much easier.

As soon as I hear back with some prices I will let you know :)

How often is it recommended to titre test?

Our new Vet advised doing a titre when we first went. Then getting the complete results to allow him to advise on future action.

For the old boy, it was over 11 years since he had had vaccinations. His results showed he was covered.

I don't feel qualified to have an opinion. I just don't think it's fair to malign vets who are trying to make professional decisions in their clients best interests (some of them will titre, some of them will not).

I think the best person to talk to about titre testing would be a holistic vet :)

I have seen three holistic vets and they were Dr Ann Nevill in East Bentleigh, Lower Plenty Veterinary Practice (I can't remember their names) and Dr Bruce Syme's clinic in Castlemaine.

I had the most contact with Ann Nevill and I'm thinking of emailing her with my questions... She was very thorough and seemed very experienced with natural medicine. Here is a link to her website.

http://www.eastwestvet.com.au/

I also did some googling and came up with this list of holistic vets who titre test on the Australian Holistic Veterinarians website.

http://www.ahv.com.au/modsresult.php

(Sorry, you have to click on "Locate a vet" and then "Vaccination antibody titre test" in the Modalities box.)

And I found this titre testing kit, called Vaccicheck, which vets can use in the clinic, without having to send samples away for testing. I'm not sure if it gives you an antibody value or a yes/no answer though. I might email the link to my vet.

http://vaccicheck.com.au/index.html

Edited by Queen Maeby

Have received a reply from Kathy Cornack who is a holistic vet in Newcastle. She does all the titre testing in house now (had heard a few were starting to do it) so the bloods don't need to be sent anywhere. Not sure if it is instant or you have to wait for the results though. Testing covers parvo, distemper and hepatitis and gives a reading of low (<1:5) adequate (<1:20) or high (>1:80) for each, which are the same results you receive from vetpath (except they say less than 1:5, 1:20 or greater than 1:80, but its the same thing).

Cost is $60 per dog, no consult required but you do need to book ahead obviously.

Have received a reply from Kathy Cornack who is a holistic vet in Newcastle. She does all the titre testing in house now (had heard a few were starting to do it) so the bloods don't need to be sent anywhere. Not sure if it is instant or you have to wait for the results though. Testing covers parvo, distemper and hepatitis and gives a reading of low (<1:5) adequate (<1:20) or high (>1:80) for each, which are the same results you receive from vetpath (except they say less than 1:5, 1:20 or greater than 1:80, but its the same thing).

Cost is $60 per dog, no consult required but you do need to book ahead obviously.

Great Vet. She saved a dog of our family that had lead poisoning. Edited by VizslaMomma

• 2 weeks later...
1403081651[/url]' post='6506020']

Its a bit of a hike for you, but my vet at Medowie advocates them. She said Newcastle and Central coast vets are a bit behind the times though. Otherwise, there are plenty in North Sydney if that is easier for you to get to.

I've found the opposite. Merewether vet does them. So does someone at Adamstown.

Eta. Think the Adamstown was in the holistic vet mentioned above

Edited by Cat