How Do I Stop 10 Mth Lab Jumping

lovelabs

Hi, I have a 10 month old labrador who jumps on visitors including children. For the last 3 or so months I now keep her seperated if children who are young or not confident with dogs come over as she gets crazy excited and jumps all over them. We have 3 kids aged between 5 and 9 and she rarely bothers to jump on us, she also rarely bothers with adults and a few kids who come over all the time and are confident with her, and if she does its one jump and they push her off and she doesnt bother again. But kids who are little or scared of her she gets super excited and wants to jump all over them and lick there face and chase them if they run. Is there anything I can do to stop her jumping altogether?

We got her at 8 weeks, we do obedience training weekly, walked twice a day plus training and ball thrown for her at home. Plays with other dogs at least once a week. So plenty of exercise and Im home most of the day.

Anything I can do or just keep her seperate?

I'd have her on a lead and actually be teaching her appropriate behaviour and lock her away when the kids just aren't the right type for training a dog around. Apart from that it's really not worth having a silly big puppy around intimidated children, the dog doesn't understand the cues they give off and it only serves to make the child even more intimidated around dogs.

This is how I approach it...

When the visitors arrive ensure the dog is away. Take this time to explain to your guests what you want them to do. Tell them they will get a glass of lemonade or wine (as appropriate!) for helping. Bring the dog out on leash. This is about giving the dog a choice so you do nothing but hold the end of the leash and anchor your hand at your waist. Use your core strength. Your visitor will approach the dog. The second the dog's front paws leave the ground your visitor is to turn their back and walk away. Rinse and repeat until the dog has 4 paws on the ground. Then the dog receives a pat but any jumping up sends the visitor away again. It is easier to demonstrate so I hope that makes sense :)

yes before i started separating her the kids who are scared run and scream despite me saying stand still, which of course made her even more excited and silly. So now I only let her near kids who are confident with her. But is there any way to stop her jumping and getting so excited, its the only thing that drives me crazy.

yes that makes sense, could do that with adults and confident kids. When walking she used to try and jump on everyone who tried to pat her but has got much better now and rarely does it but Im super careful who is approaching her. How long do you use the leash for visitiors? Until she doesnt try to jump anymore could be years im thinking!

When you choose a large breed you do need to train them thoroughly so they do not become a menace.

Have you taught your Lab to sit and stay? If not I'd strongly recommend you sign up for dog training, one session a week for a couple of months until you have the basics.

I'd put her away when you have children round or put her on a lead but I guess you'd be busy with other things at that time so maybe separating her is the go until she can sit and stay and behave appropriately.

I did a homecheck recently and the owner's large dog kept jumping up at me - they thought it was cute and funny - I didn't, I have arthritis and it's painful.

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad

yes that makes sense, could do that with adults and confident kids. When walking she used to try and jump on everyone who tried to pat her but has got much better now and rarely does it but Im super careful who is approaching her. How long do you use the leash for visitiors? Until she doesnt try to jump anymore could be years im thinking!

Rule 1: Pup does NOT get to interact with strangers unless her bottom is on the ground. If it lifts, get them to step back out of range and only approach if she is sitting. If you use a clicker this can be trained remarkably quickly - her reward is the pats!

Be insistent about this with the humans.

This is something taught at my dog club obedience classes.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I dont find it funny at all when she does it to anyone it actually upsets and frustrates me which is why im asking for advice. Which is also why she is now separated from anyone before they come over so I dont upset anyone. I attend obedience and she knows sit and stay on a lead but does not listen when over excited.

I dont find it funny at all when she does it to anyone it actually upsets and frustrates me which is why im asking for advice. Which is also why she is now separated from anyone before they come over so I dont upset anyone. I attend obedience and she knows sit and stay on a lead but does not listen when over excited.

And you've got it. You need to proof that stay under distraction - people.

That's a great start then. Perhaps a dog run/crate might be something that would also assist if you don't want to put her in the laundry or similar.

We occasionally have friends over with/without kids that are either not good with dogs or are very inconsistent. My dogs do get excited but are pretty well mannered. I will pop them in a crate at times so as not to overwhelm non dog savvy folk. The dogs also seem quite relieved!

She doesnt complain about being put outside or in the laundry if kids go outside. It just annoys me that she gets so excited and jumps, will she improve as she gets older or only training will do that?

10 months can be a challenging age! It sounds like the dog needs to learn how to control herself when excited, to really get it sorted you might need to do a lot more sit or stay work in increasingly tempting and exciting environments, as she masters one level of excitement gradually escalate. And/or manage the interactions through separation, I would probably do both until she gets control of herself. A crate or other 'safe place' might work well for her. You might want to google Karen Overall's relaxation protocol, fairly obvious stuff but structured.

Age will help but only with training as well :)

My Australian Shepherd looooves kids but like yours, she gets too excited and rough with them. She doesn't get uncontrolled access to them, I have her on lead and have her focus on me (I use food treats to reward her for watching me instead of the children and keeping her feet on the ground). We've gradually worked up to being closer and closer to children, if we move closer and she starts focusing on them or getting jumpy or pully on the lead we move away again.

It's taken a lot of practice but she's getting better and better and can now sit with a child and get pats relatively calmly. We only get to practice it now and then though as I don't spend time around kids that often so it's been slow going, with you having regular opportunities to practice you should see improvement fairly quickly IF you are consistent and she never gets the chance to reach the kids when she's behaving inappropriately.

Well we will keep working on it, will put a lot more work into the sit stays and see how we go, lucky she of course will do anything for food! I have to say she used to try and jump and pull towards people who were coming towards us when out walking on lead but I have worked really hard on making her stay in a heel which she nows does, so hopefully will get there with this too.

Then you are taking the foundation steps. Nice one.

Some dogs ( & my own puppy is a fine example) take a little bit longer.

I call it a light bulb moment.

Does take practice. Take encouragement from the fact you are making efforts to get her trained.

Age will help tone things down a little but she is a Lab, one of the most exuberant breeds in the dog world so this behaviour is to be expected unless she is very thoroughly trained not to do it. One thing to remember is that a dog cannot sit or drop and jump at the same time. So work on the sit and drop commands under distraction using plenty of food rewards. Labs are usually very food motivated so make the food more interesting than the children and she should catch on. Always ask for the behaviour you want rather than trying to stop what you don't want. If you tell a dog not to jump, you have to give it an alternative that you do want. Also keep in mind that at the moment she is a puppy with the mind of a puppy. There is a reason that serious guide dog training doesn't start until they are over 12 months old and even then Labs tend not to grow up until they are about 6 so you have to be creative with the training. Another option is to have a crate near the door if you have space. Put the dog in the crate before you answer the door and don't bring her out until the initial excitement of visitors arriving has worn off a bit. Then bring her out on lead to practice her sits and drops so she learns that people coming over means that she gets to play at obedience for yummy treats.