How Quickly Does Permoxin Work?

I'm in a little bit of a bind. i found a tick on Josie tonight, only small and I got it off straight away, probably a souvenir from walking yesterday. I've thoroughly checked her over and found no others but would like to spray her with permoxin to be on the safe side. Only problem is that I have to bath her tomorrow afternoon. So I'm just wondering whether anything knows how quickly Permoxin works to kills nasties and how well it washes out? I'm thinking of giving her a good spray with it when I put her outside in the morning and leaving her outside for the day if the weather is nice and then bathing her in the afternoon, will this be enough time for it to kill any ticks that are on her or is it a waste of time?

I don't have any spot on plus there's really no point this close to a bath

ETA: just to be clear I can't bath her first as she need to be groomed for her pet therapy assessment Wednesday morning so she can't be covered in chemicals.

Edited by kelpiecuddles

Permoxin works immediately, so you would get instant kill. Lots of vets use it on tick dogs. Not sure how it washes out. Google, perhaps?

Keep an eye on Josie too, in case she is affected

Thanks. I couldn't find my spay bottle this morning so i haven't done it yet but just found it now so i'll give her a good spray now. I'm almost certain there are no more but just to be safe in case there's one hiding somewhere. I know it takes about 4 days for a paralysis tick to start giving an animal real trouble so having got the first one off within 24 hours and spraying her within 48 hours we should be fine. I became very ill myself from one once but it had been on for 5 days before I found it(it was very small)

I know it takes about 4 days for a paralysis tick to start giving an animal real trouble so having got the first one off within 24 hours and spraying her within 48 hours we should be fine. I became very ill myself from one once but it had been on for 5 days before I found it(it was very small)

Sorry. Not true. It depends on a number of factors. Weight of dog, overall health of dog, size of tick, how many and whether the individual animal is more sensitive than other animal.

I have had an adult 15kg border collie succumb to tick paralysis within 24 hours from one tick. I have seen a 10kg cat with heaps of ticks have no effect for days before showing signs.

I have known people who have bathed in permoxin, fidos tick or even harder chemicals such as Maldacin/Malaban and sprayed it on and not kill ticks immediately. I have known someone who has bathed their dog in tick shampoo and did all the right things only to have their dog come down with tick paralysis 12 hours later. This was an experienced breeder, living in a tick environment who is no novice to ticks.

Spray your dog/bath in tick shampoo and keep a close eye on it for the next week, I am pulling 5 plus ticks off my dogs daily. I even pulled a tick off myself today from my property. I live with ticks all year round. They are no longer not active in winter as we are just not having that real cold period any more.

Spray your dog/bath in tick shampoo and keep a close eye on it for the next week, I am pulling 5 plus ticks off my dogs daily. I even pulled a tick off myself today from my property. I live with ticks all year round. They are no longer not active in winter as we are just not having that real cold period any more.

Just answered the question I had.

What a worry for you.

We have been lucky to never live in a 'tick' area. But my husband has always made a practice of checking the dogs daily. He worked on the land years ago & it's a (great) habit since then.

They don't slow down here either, the time I got sick I pulled 4 off myself in August after a Saturday spent gardening and happened to miss one that I didn't find until Thursday after i started to feel ill. She's very well, been thoroughly checked over and no signs of any issues. We nearly lost the (indoor) cat to ticks after she snuck out the front door so please don't think I don't understand what may happen, despite how my previous post sounded we are very careful. It's also one of the reasons I don't have long haired dogs, not prepared to take the risk here in a high tick area, i like to be able to more easily check them over.

I was only referring to the part where "it can take 4 days to start giving an animal trouble". This comment is certainly not true.

The larger/heavier the animal, generally speaking, you may get longer before symptoms start to show. However I have seen the opposite.

I was not referring to you not taking precautions or claiming you are not responsible. Only that animals can succumb earlier than 4 days depending on a variety of factors.

As for your question on permoxin - I have seen it kill ticks quickly and I have also seen it not kill ticks for some hours even if put on straight. I don't believe it is like products like Frontline/Advantix that are oily in their nature and has water-fast properties. Permoxin dissolves in water, so if you bath your dog - it will was out.

I had one BC puppy around 10 weeks old and 7 kilos succomb to tick paralysis within 12 hours and then down the vet on a drip for two days. I remember this as she was too young for any conventional tick treatment. Permoxin, tick collars and at the time Proban all could not be given until the dog was 12 weeks.

Since then - I mix up a concentrated Fidos (as this can be used on puppies younger than 12 weeks) into a spray bottle and spray the pups twice daily with this. There are also products (Bayer makes powder that you mix with water) you can buy which you mix with water and spray the immediate environment. Not a long term solution, and I don't know how well it would last if it rained - but helps in the short term. Again checking twice daily for ticks.

My adult dog - One tick, only small not fully engorged so had not been on there long. She was only slightly wobbly - not full paralysis. It took that adult dog nearly 6 months to fully recover back to competition condition.

I have long haired dogs and yes I live in a very high tick area as well. Have for the last twenty something years - It is something you get used to dealing with. I just make a point of checking them over thoroughly twice a day as well as using tick collars/baths. If I find a tick, I get the surgical tweezers and pull it out and squash it.

Our farm dog when I was a teen seemed to be immune to paralysis ticks... he'd get covered in them regularly, big fat, full ones they were! - and we checked him twice a day all over. That was his fave thing on the planet getting checked for ticks, as we'd have to go all over him carefully and he loved the attention... *grin*

T.

Our farm dog when I was a teen seemed to be immune to paralysis ticks... he'd get covered in them regularly, big fat, full ones they were! - and we checked him twice a day all over. That was his fave thing on the planet getting checked for ticks, as we'd have to go all over him carefully and he loved the attention... *grin*

T.

I've heard of this, that farm dogs are often immune. I discussed with my vet and he said that it appears animals who are constantly in contact with them (paralysis ticks) do develop an immunity. I asked why they couldn't develop a vaccine based around this and he said that it only lasts for a few days, the dogs/animals that are immune are getting constantly bitten which keeps up their immunity.

My old childhood dog, riff, was immune to ticks. I grew up in a high tick bushy waterfront area and he was a crazy lil scruffy bugger who was into everything and constantly got ticks. We left him overnight with a friend minding him and came back and he had 19 paralysis ticks, from memory many were fully engorged. It didn't affect him at all. Aside from that he was always checked twice a day, always had at least a couple he'd picked up. He was bred in the area (his parents were scruffy locals too) and I always wondered if that was a factor. We were always told we could make a fortune selling him as immune dogs are used to make the serums apparently.