Two Dogs Attack A 10-year-old Boy In Bellambi

Panto

Dogs should never be trained to attack. Why we do this I will never know. There are plenty of other methods that can be used to protect property.

I doubt these dogs were trained to attack. If they were trained dogs both would call off on command.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess anything is possible to propose why the boy was there. The dogs don't know why the boy was there. Sad all round but I still can't reason why the dogs must pay.

Because at least one of them was not a safe dog. Whatever led to it, however much it was not the dog's fault and it was let down by humans, a dog that would respond like that to a human in its yard is a highly dangerous dog.

Edited to say WAS (not is) not a safe dog :( I do feel for the dogs and have myself made a call on a dog I loved very much who had not done anything like what this dog did, but who was not a safe dog. I held her as she was put to sleep, so I do not say this lightly.

Edited by Simply Grand

I hate the kids over the back coming over my fence but what else can I do - nothing. They are too young to be charged with anything (not that I would want to go down that track anyway). But they and their parents just won't listen when I tell them if they throw their toys in my yard, to come around the front and ask me to get it for them.

Run an internal fence approx 70cm from the existing fence along the side where the kids are.

Star droppers and mesh, you can also attach some 6ft bamboo screening to that if need be for height/privacy or to make it look nicer.

The internal fence is too far from the existing fence for the kids to jump both at once and too high and flimsy for them to climb.

Worked for us, cost about $10 per metre to set up. Also keeps your dogs away from the fence line and prevents fence fighting with neighboring dogs and/or digging under if your dogs are that way inclined.

I hate the kids over the back coming over my fence but what else can I do - nothing. They are too young to be charged with anything (not that I would want to go down that track anyway). But they and their parents just won't listen when I tell them if they throw their toys in my yard, to come around the front and ask me to get it for them.

Run an internal fence approx 70cm from the existing fence along the side where the kids are.

Star droppers and mesh, you can also attach some 6ft bamboo screening to that if need be for height/privacy or to make it look nicer.

The internal fence is too far from the existing fence for the kids to jump both at once and too high and flimsy for them to climb.

Worked for us, cost about $10 per metre to set up. Also keeps your dogs away from the fence line and prevents fence fighting with neighboring dogs and/or digging under if your dogs are that way inclined.

Not possible unfortunately, the chicken coop runs along that fence, so I can't actually get to the fence itself.

They jump over from the corner, into my vege garden and then into the back yard to retrieve whatever has come over the fence.

I often wonder if they do it deliberately - there are 10 feet tall olive trees that line the back of the their fence - you would thing they would catch anything flying through the air toward my yard.

Dogs should never be trained to attack. Why we do this I will never know. There are plenty of other methods that can be used to protect property.

I doubt these dogs were trained to attack. If they were trained dogs both would call off on command.

The dogs were obviously just mutts with territorial drive. Trained protection dogs are not cheap and takes a lot of owner/handler input in the training process to control them safely that not many average people will spare the time or the money involved.

Because at least one of them was not a safe dog. Whatever led to it, however much it was not the dog's fault and it was let down by humans, a dog that would respond like that to a human in its yard is a highly dangerous dog.

We need to be mindful of the fact that no laws prevent anyone keeping a dog dangerous to humans and until the dog is declared dangerous which can only result from complaint, the dog is regarded as a compliant. The council said apparently no reports had been received previously about these dogs. Not sure how long they had these dogs, but prior to the attacks it didn't seem that the neighbours had a problem with them?

Edited by Amax-1

Sorry, my wording was not great. I meant to guard, not 'attack'. Dogs should not be trained to act aggressively IMO.

Sorry, my wording was not great. I meant to guard, not 'attack'. Dogs should not be trained to act aggressively IMO.

In most jurisdictions if not all, it's illegal to train pet dogs to bite/attack/ or act aggressively towards people or other animals, yet it's quite legal to breed and keep dogs high in civil and territorial drive which are untrained and otherwise uncontrollable. the most dangerous version is quite ok, but the safest trained version is not ok......hardly sensible is it? :confused: