Pet Friendly Motels On The Hume Hwy

HazyWal

So fingers crossed we are heading down to Melbourne mid October for a week. I am looking for basic accommodation around the halfway mark preferably on or not far from the Hume Hwy for myself and the greyhounds. Maddie is not a good traveller so I think around Gundagai might be about as far as I'll push it. Can anyone recommend somewhere? All I want to do is have a sleep and leave early the next day so as long as it's clean it certainly doesn't have to be flash and the dogs must be able to stay in the room with me.

I just did a bit of a google and found this place, has anyone stayed there?

TIA

http://www.bushmansretreat.com.au/

Thanks TSD I just had a look and it's another hour south, maybe doable. I don't really know how she'll go, she used to get terribly car sick even after just 10 minutes in the car but since the attack I drive them twice a day to a park that is fairly safe and she is not showing the same anxiety. The weather should still be coolish so I can put her thundershirt on when travelling and see how that goes.

Has she always been a car sick type of dog?

If so, you can get a pack of 4 Cerenia tabs from your Vet that should help. They are new generation, so anti-nausea without the tranquilising effects. They're a bit exy but they work very well.

Thanks SnT I will definitely ask my vet about them :thumbsup: As you say they used to knock them around a bit so I was reluctant, I don't care what they cost as long as my poor little chicken travels well.

I'm pretty sure I've stayed at the Jolly Swagman...and if so I'd recommend it. It was a few years ago now but I only stay in places where dogs can be in the rooms with me.

I'm not on the Hume highway but you'd be welcome to stay at my place in the Cowra area - I used to have a greyhound, and I love the breed. I've got 3 dogs of my own...just a thought. :)

• 3 months later...

Just bumping this thread to say I stayed at the Bushmans Retreat Pet Friendly Motel at Gundagai last week on my way to Melbourne and it was fabulous. The motel is very old and dated but it was spotlessly clean and as you can see the dogs are allowed inside :) It gets negative reviews on trip advisor but I couldn't fault it and the young guy Yash that runs it couldn't do enough for us. I ordered a home cooked meal which was huge and Yash delivered it to my room as I didn't want to leave the dogs, the dining room looks like an RSL bistro from the 70's :laugh: I stayed in room 21 which was closest to the highway so yes the trucks were loud but I was so tired I slept like a baby. I can highly recommend this place for a stopover. I did ring the Jolly Swagman at Holbrook first but the guy was so rude on the phone I gave him a spray and hung up on him :mad

http://www.bushmansretreat.com.au/

post-38965-0-52123400-1415748826_thumb.jpg

post-38965-0-91221400-1415748842_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

There is a dog friendly motel in Albury (Allawa)if that is not to far down the road for you.

Me and the fur kids stay there quite often when going between Vic and NSW.

It is quite close to the center of albury but still good for getting them out on a walk in the surrounding suburbs.