Fenzi Dog Sports Academy

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't going to do anything else with it and I don't even know why I decided to.

Then I didn't want to push it, in case I threw him off..

I did it at dinner time while I was getting his dinner ready with a couple of pieces of meat and he will touch both hands.

I just offer the hand about 20cm away and look at him and then my hand and he touches it every time and he will do it on both hands.

That's wonderful! Any progress is good progress. :thumbsup:

I just had some minor success with '101 things to do with a box' too... after her initial usual phase of touching it, she lay down and gave up as usual... so I started tossing the treats inside the box. She didn't react cause she's been trained 'It's Yer Choice' (lol) so eventually after about ten treats got thrown in the box I told her to 'Get it!' and she jumped up and tentatively put one paw in the box to get to the treats..... Click & treat and party!!! :D Eventually got 2 paws in the box, then whacking box with paw while in box, then resting head on side of box. Finally got her to stand on upside down box, but with a bit of luring so probably doesn't count. She still doesn't really get the hang of it and kept defaulting back but at least she offered a new behaviour today - good enough for me! :)

Although if we are talking about Fenzi stuff she is sharp as tack and we are now pairing heeling with some very lovely Flys. :)

Btw, is anyone doing the FCI heeling course or Bridging the gap?

You lot of enablers "forced" me to sign up to a bronze class :)

k9 conditioning - so far it looks really interesting - not sure what I'll do with it, but reading over the notes, taking lots of notes. Will have to work on his stand and will / have planned to try and teach "back up". Enjoying reading the gold posts. I think it will really help when I do an actual conditioning class in real life... soon...

I have a list of courses that I am going to do :)

I haven't started with the boxes yet - I just want to get the basic stuff we are doing for the stays and the focus class done..

I am sure I will be signing up for many more classes - I really like the delivery of the Fenzi courses and the instructors are great and get back to you really quickly.

We are still going strong with the 'touch' exercise.

I am still only marking and treating - not adding the word 'touch' in yet.

I did move my hand to a lot of different positions today and he still touched it each time.

Hopefully by next week I can add the word in and then start adding in objects.

This dog picks things up so quickly when he is on a roll.

We did all the new stuff in the stays course (added yesterday, I think) - 3 exercises and he blitzed the whole lot of them in one session.

He already knows the basics of them, which helps heaps - like not to take the food if it is on the floor or on my hand, unless it is given to him. Take out and Room Service cues, are things he already knew but we have definitely refined them because we are practicing them.

I do need to practice my release cues though - I am really bad for just clapping my hands and saying hey! and that is the end of it.. He knows this but they use a cue, like OK or free.. I sort of feel like I need to teach a more obvious release cue..

When teaching my puppy classes about the importance of having a consistent release word, I tell them about the other option, like break, free etc. etc. ... but I must say personally I'm happy with OK - easy to remember - and as TSD says, the dogs seem to be able to know when it's meant for them and when it's just something you've said in conversation.

I ended up using it - well the shortened version "Kay" - for his recall word, since he sometimes would stick in the sit position when I used come. As soon as I used his release word instead, he bolted in happily. Well :doh: .

My release is also multi purpose - you can get out of the car, you can eat your dinner, release from SLS and contacts in agility.

I tend to use something like "all done" or "that'll do" - as a finished training cue.