Neapolitian Mastiff Breeders

CountryGirl

I've been alerted to a BYB in Townsville QLD with a litter of Neapolitan Mastiffs currently for sale - $1500 a pup - from papered parents. The litter is currently advertised and two pups are still for sale. I'd suggest all Registered breeders take a good look at whomever they sell to as this isn't the first time I've seen this. Can it be reported to the CCCQ or is it outside of the jurisdiction?

No, being a BYB, if that's what they are, is not illegal.

Unless it's the same breeder from the other thread??

Is it the registered breeder selling unregistered puppies? If yes then you can report to the states Canine Council.

No, being a BYB, if that's what they are, is not illegal.

Unless it's the same breeder from the other thread??

Is it the registered breeder selling unregistered puppies? If yes then you can report to the states Canine Council.

Even so, it's still not illegal. Just in breech of COE and the registered breeder can be held accountable by their state KC if reported, that's all.

It is not illegal to breed pedigree or non-pedigreed dogs with or without out being an ANKC registered breeder.

Many of us pure breed enthusiasts will not agreed with such practises or like it at all, but there is nothing anyone can do if they ticking all their local council by laws.

I doubt this breeder has any registration other than possibly with their local council, which is a totally separate thing.

CountryGirl, we all want to help you. If we are not answering your questions properly or clearly, please ask them again or let us know so we can try to be very clear in explaining everything to you. :)

Edited by Starkehre

No, this is a different breeder.

I'm wondering how papered animals end up being used for breeding by backyard breeders? They must have come from a Registered Breeder? And given this breed and region, there can't be that many to source breeding animals from, can there?

No, this is a different breeder.

I'm wondering how papered animals end up being used for breeding by backyard breeders? They must have come from a Registered Breeder? And given this breed and region, there can't be that many to source breeding animals from, can there?

Sadly it happens all the time CG. Sometimes out of greed, sometimes because they like the idea of breeding a litter. They may have conned their breeder into selling them a puppy under false pretences or may have decided to breed later on.

Many breeders won't desex puppies prior to selling them for health reasons, so they have to rely on their research of these puppy buyers, some trust and their gut instinct. Usually this is enough. But as you can see, sometimes it is not.

Keep in mind, many of the pedigreed dogs you see being used to breed may well be on Limited Register. This won't physically stop owners from breeding their dogs. all it means is they cannot exhibit the dog or register it's progeny.

As for the region, puppies are flown from state to state everyday in Australia, travelling to their new homes. Nothing difficult about moving puppies over long distances.

So, you see it is really tricky for breeders that are trying very hard to do the right thing when puppy people are not always trust worthy.

Edited by Starkehre

CountryGirl, even though the parents are from registered breeders and have papers doesn't mean they can't be bred from. I'll use my own girl as an example.

Kirah is registered with the ANKC on the Limited Register which states by way of a red stamp NOT FOR BREEDING on her certificate. If I so chose, a little red stamp wouldn't stop me from breeding her and unfortunately, there is no way of policing this nor is it illegal -- simply against COE.

I'm not going to breed her -- she's desexed -- but that's how it would happen.

I've been alerted to a BYB in Townsville QLD with a litter of Neapolitan Mastiffs currently for sale - $1500 a pup - from papered parents. The litter is currently advertised and two pups are still for sale. I'd suggest all Registered breeders take a good look at whomever they sell to as this isn't the first time I've seen this. Can it be reported to the CCCQ or is it outside of the jurisdiction?

Are you involved in rescue?

And another thing to watch out for CG... some people will state/advertise that the parents of their puppies are pedigree, when what they mean is that they are pure bred.

Now, some of us might argue about what the technical definitions of these terms are. But typically what most of us will say is that a dog is only a pedigreed dog if it has pedigree paper to say so. If it doesn't it may be a pure bred dog, but there is no proof of this anyway.

So, if one was to make inquiries with one of these advertising breeders that are "registered" and the sire and dam are "pedigreed", a few of the first things to find out would be:

1. What body/council is your registration with? If it is their state KC such as CCCQ, what is their breeders prefix?

2. Am I able to view the parents' pedigree/registration papers?

3. Are these dogs both on mains register?

4. What are (if any) health testing requirements in this breed? And may I view these results?

The only real way to stop it is to desex all puppies before sale - but there is veterinary evidence of potential negative health issues from desexing large dogs in particular at a young age so many breeders choose not to for health's sake. And no matter how good their checks on buyers are some people will just lie to get what they want. (Of course I do not know whether the breeder/s of these two were diligent or not). Distance isnt an issue pups move all over the country.

I bought Daisy as a 7 y/o, she was not desexed. I also was given her pedigree papers with 'retired' written in pen at the top.

There was no reason why I couldn't have mated her to an entire registered Westie (there is a papered male that lives locally, he is registered but not on mains).

Daisy could have had a litter and I still could have sold the pups and shown the buyer her, and the sire's, papers.

Sure, the pups would not have come with papers but I would have been rich and retire with lots of money

(Bolded part is from page 1 of the BYB handbook)

I did some training with a young Belgian Malinois not long ago who the owner said was a registered parent litter purchased from a pet shop :eek: I asked to see the papers and what the puppy owner showed me was a photocopy of the parents council reg, the bitch was a Malinois and the sire a Dutch Shepherd........parents owned by two different people and addresses in the same council area. What alerted me to something strange is the owner saying the pup's litter mate in the pet shop was a brindle colour.......not in a Malinois litter will there be brindle coloured pups?......this pup looked like a Malinois by colouring.

The puppy owner was oblivious to council reg not meaning ANKC registration as we think of in a "registered litter", neither did he notice that the sire was recorded as a Dutchie not a Malinois, but more to the point, how was the pet shop's style promoting this litter as a registered litter of Malinois then producing council reg confirming the litter was a X breed? The owner suggested that the Dutchie sire may have been a Malinois imported from Holland.......he was still convinced what the pet shop told him and provided was right although it was too stupid for words in reality :rofl:

The pup was nice with good working drives and temperament......nothing wrong with the pup at all but the rest was a bit on the nose in the registration and sale process :mad, or was the pet shop that stupid they didn't know themselves what a "registered" litter means?

Edited by Amax-1