Help! My Dog Is Getting Anxious In Her Crate!

Hi I'm hoping someone here will be able to help me. We recently had to put our almost 11 year old GSP to sleep and his best friend, our 11 year old female weimeraner isn't coping which, is understandable as they have been together since she was 6 months old. Both dogs would sleep in side by side crates each night with no problems but when Wilson (GSP) started to get sick, Izzy (Wei) began scratching and barking to be let out. At first I thought she needed to go to the toilet so I would let her out but she's a clever dog and if you let her get away with something once you will have a struggle on your hands for many days to come. Anyway, since Wilson left us the scratching and barking has gotten worse. She takes herself to her crate when we go to bed, we lock the door, and within 5 mins of lights out she starts. If we leave the door open she comes out into the loungeroom to sleep which seems to be where she wants to be, but then she gets cold so she comes to our room and tries to jump on the bed (we don't let her!). We put an ultrasonic barking collar on her which worked a treat with the barking, but then she just started scratching with avengence! and to the point where she had become quite distressed.

Is it possible that grief has made her claustraphobic?? and is there anything that can be done about it? the sleepless nights are killing us!!!

Oh gosh :( please do not use an aversive collar on a stressed dog - it will just exacerbate whatever grief/loneliness/stress she is feeling :( I also suggest moving her crate near you if you can . ... or leave a coat on her - and let her sleep in the lounge ?

You might also find Dog Appeasing PheromoneVERY useful at this time . :hug: for you all at this time .

Product Description

Adaptil Dog Appeasing Pheromone (DAP) replicates the natural calming pheromone released by the lactating mother dog which acts to reduce stress in sulking puppies. This natural hormone has been found to have a similar beneficial effect on adult dogs.

Adaptil DAP has a practical application in helping dogs of all ages overcome the stress associated with separation anxiety, loud noise phobias, and in adjusting to a new place or situation. DAP is a natural, safe and effective part of a behaviour modification plan.

Agree with persephone.

Don't put that collar on her she is very stressed already, poor girl :(

Sorry for the loss of your other dog. It is always a difficult time for all concerned. Even for your girl.

Personally I would move the crate into your bedroom. Put a thundershirt on her plus spray her bedding with Adaptil spray. This girl is fretting & probably very lonely. Izzy is missing her pal.

Another alternative would be to make a comfy, warm bed in the lounge for her perhaps. As she just wants to be near you.

Edited by BC Crazy

Thanks everyone. Her crate is in the spare bedroom next to ours. Its just strange because she chooses to go in her crate without us telling her to, she just doesn't want to stay there.

She's gone from a confident, happy dog to sad and quite anxious at times. Out of the 2, Izzy was the one that warned us when someone was at the door and this has stopped as well. Its breaking my heart to see her like this. We've been taking her nearly everywhere with us and during the day when we're at work we drop her off at a friends house who has 2 cockerspaniels to keep her company and my friend also works from home so is there all day with them. Even she noticed that Izzy has lost her confidence.

We've begun searching for a new friend for her so hopefully when we find the right one we'll get our old Izzy back.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions, I'll buy some adaptil spray today and set her up with a nice warm bed on the floor in our room tonight and let you know how we go.

I can understand you wanting to keep her company but if you didn't previously take the two dogs everywhere perhaps having her with you or someone else all day is delaying her getting used to bring alone?

I would suggest a nice warm bed in the lounge and a coat for her to help her keep warm. I would think k she goes in her crate in the evening because this is habit nor because she necessarily 'wants' to be there.

Hard time for all, hope she starts to come right soon.

Edited by Sandra777

Yes Izzy would be going into her crate like she has always probably done. Then you say 5 mins & she is upset. She realizes she is on her own. I only got to mention bed & my guys race to get into their crate even if they have just got out of it but that certainly doesn't mean they want to stay in there.

This will take time for Izzy to feel secure again.

Thanks everyone. Her crate is in the spare bedroom next to ours. Its just strange because she chooses to go in her crate without us telling her to, she just doesn't want to stay there.

She's gone from a confident, happy dog to sad and quite anxious at times. Out of the 2, Izzy was the one that warned us when someone was at the door and this has stopped as well. Its breaking my heart to see her like this. We've been taking her nearly everywhere with us and during the day when we're at work we drop her off at a friends house who has 2 cockerspaniels to keep her company and my friend also works from home so is there all day with them. Even she noticed that Izzy has lost her confidence.

We've begun searching for a new friend for her so hopefully when we find the right one we'll get our old Izzy back.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions, I'll buy some adaptil spray today and set her up with a nice warm bed on the floor in our room tonight and let you know how we go.

By chance, do you have anything with the scent of her pal on it? Like his coat? I would consider putting that in her bedding too along with the other suggestions made.

Resue Remedy will help as well. Just a word of cautious hope, Izzy may have changed after this stress. She may need intensive help to deal with this loss.

:cry:

Thanks everyone for you suggestions. We all finally had a good night sleep last night!

Last night when she went in her crate we left the door open for her, we also set up a few blankets on her dog bed in the loungeroom. She actually stayed in her crate till around 430am then she came into our room (this is close to when hubby gets up anyway). We did actually put one of WIlson's old blankets in her crate last night so maybe this helped??