Malamite Puppy Just Ate Some Wood Off His Kennel

Left him alone for 15 minutes, come outside to see him and he's chewed wood off his kennel...there was a nice little pile of kindling on the ground. He's chewed so much, but not sure how much he's ingested. Will he be okay? He eats a lot of junk, leaves, twigs, dirt, stuffing out of his bed, some carpet tile...but I'm a bit concerned about the splintery wood! Any advice?

I would be concerned with blockages due to the wood and stuffing from his bed. Our SBT, Louis, managed to consume some bedding stuffing and tinder from the wood pile years ago. He was OK for a day or so but then he got really sick, really quick and needed emergency surgey to remove the blockage.

If it was my dog - I would be taking him in for a checkup to be sure (they can often tell by the sounds their tummy is making and feeling their tummy).

Like Pers said - you need to offer enticing things he is allowed to chew or he will chew everything.

Freezing kongs with chicken stock in them is great in summer and will keep a pup busy for ages.

I stuff kongs with cottage cheese, kibble and freeze it as well.

We also freeze containers of water (or watered down stock) with chicken wings/necks/drumsticks/turkey necks/whole carrots/water melon etc.. A 2-4 litre ice cream container is perfect for freezing treats.

Big bones and rope toys are another favourite of the dog(s) here as well.

When my Belgian girl was young she had a pencahant for wood. A Roman blind & a director's chair were both reduced to kindling :eek: . He will probably be fine, but keep a close eye on your puppy & off to the vet if he is off colour.

If I have found that my dog has eaten something I'm concerned may get caught up or cause some issue in the digestive tract, I tend to feed him a good amount of soft food (i.e. raw meat mince) asap afterwards. Have no idea if this is of any benefit to assisting whatever-the-something-else is at passing through, but he doesn't mind it one way or the other :) . A bit late for you, but I assume by now things will have 'moved'.

Edited by Erny