Shiba Inu?

Yonjuro

Hello,

I have a friend interested in getting a Shiba Inu in the near future. I have stressed the importance of waiting in order to get his dog from a good breeder with good lines, health and temperament and of course staying away from any unknowns on gumtree etc. The dog will not be shown or bred so limited register is what I would be recommending. He is in Perth but I imagine flying in the right puppy from intestate would also be a viable option.

I would love to be able to help him in getting a great dog and would appreciate any advice. I have looked at the DOL breeder pages but as they are a breed I am not overly familiar with I thought it better to ask the brains trust here first prior to direct contact with breeders. I know the purchase price is not a factor with him, but I would like to be able to advise on an expected price range from a reputable breeder. Please feel free to PM me anything that needs confidentiality.

Many thanks.

They will give your friend grey hairs :D (and plenty of shiba hairs as well..)

Mine cost $800 on limited, and the other $1000 on main, but that was over 10 years ago, I expect it's gone up now?

Just a heads up, I'm sure they have done their research but shibas are not friendly to small furry or feathery critters. High prey drive with the small edible things :o Also, very good fences needed. One of my little sods easily climbed 6 foot fences in his more nimble days. (now he just climbs on the couch :D )

They will give your friend grey hairs :D (and plenty of shiba hairs as well..)

Mine cost $800 on limited, and the other $1000 on main, but that was over 10 years ago, I expect it's gone up now?

Just a heads up, I'm sure they have done their research but shibas are not friendly to small furry or feathery critters. High prey drive with the small edible things :o Also, very good fences needed. One of my little sods easily climbed 6 foot fences in his more nimble days. (now he just climbs on the couch :D )

:laugh: Sounds a bit like husky life. I think he is under the impression that they will be okay with a cat??? I know that they are a spitz breed and there is no way I would be able to have a cat with my Husky, but I suppose the size difference is less significant with a Shibu. As I said I have no direct experience with Shibu except for a bit of play with my husky at a fenced in park.

What you say makes me seriously doubt that cohabitation with a cat is wise??

Edited by Yonjuro

I'm currently in Japan and there are Shiba Inus everywhere!!! Almost every Japanese person has one!! I've got to cuddle quite a few and have to say now I am very interested in the breed, I love their personality and they are much smaller than I expected! Just gorgeous dogs.

Nah, cats are fine! I mean things like guinea pigs, chickens ect. Prey animals, not cats.

My cats boss the dogs around :D

Ah okay great thanks for that :thumbsup:. I have heard so many tales of disasters when people have cats with huskies that I wanted to ask. Having said that there are people who have had success with cats and huskies but it sounds like it is usually exceptions to the rule and I am sure that ignorance in some owners equates to so many huskies being surrendered :(

I'm currently in Japan and there are Shiba Inus everywhere!!! Almost every Japanese person has one!! I've got to cuddle quite a few and have to say now I am very interested in the breed, I love their personality and they are much smaller than I expected! Just gorgeous dogs.

Feel free to smuggle me home a couple :D

So Orienta have 2 dogs in heat, expecting puppies to be available around February.

Monarkin are expecting a litter in December, so pups would be available around Feb same as Orienta.

Haven't heard back from Yakuan yet :)

Hope that helps everyone else.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/orange/dogs-puppies/shiba-inu-puppies-limited-or-main-register-/1059155822

I looked up the breeder number and it corresponded with Rising Suns Shibas. I phoned Mike and he has no knowledge of the ad and definitely doesn't have any for sale.

So someones out there impersonating a legitimate breeder it seems - I'll report back when I get a response from the Gumtree advert.

Just a warning to others looking.