Advice And Opinions Please

chaostheory

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest donatella

My dog is essentially an apartment dog, I live in a townhouse with a garden for a backyard but she isn't allowed out there as she eats the bark and chews on the onion grass that is almost impossible to control which makes her sick.

She is 100% toilet trained, she goes on her doggy toilet which is fantastic as it only has to be cleaned every 2nd or 3rd day but I pick up the poos straight away. It has worked really well for us, she gets one walk a day and free run time at a field near us. I would recommend a toy breed (mine is a griffon bruxellois smooth). She really doesn't seem to mind not having a backyard and it's so handy having her trained to a dog toilet.

I second a toy breed for apartment living (tiny poos too, bonus!). Mine have no doggy smell either which you need to think about with a dog living mainly inside

Ha, so Jakes a Tibbie disguise! I have a large garden but because of his issues Jake cant be out unsupervised. He does very well on two walks a day, he is on a longline if I'm gardening across the creek but not if Im close to the house, I'm guessing this will be your dogs setup? If you have a portable dog that can go out with you then you'll be fine. I think temperament is going to be important rather than breed. My last dog was an large wolfie cross, he couldn't have given a hoot about being outside, he loved coming everywhere with us and was very bombproof so I never had to worry about him. A grownup dog might be easier all round, toilet training done and temperament known.

Yep meeting them is the best way to work out if they are for you, I haven't looked back with my monkey :). They really are fantastic little dogs.

I second a toy breed for apartment living (tiny poos too, bonus!). Mine have no doggy smell either which you need to think about with a dog living mainly inside

I'm meeting with a lovely breeder after xmas, which I'm looking forward to. :) At this stage I'm of the mindset that raising a puppy is a challenge no matter the property type and something I am looking forward to and want to be involved in, but this might change after I chat the breeder. I will see what they recommend, I have a million questions.. :laugh: The griffon has shot right up to my #1 breed of choice and it would hard to dissuade me <3 <3

I'm meeting with a lovely breeder after xmas, which I'm looking forward to. :) At this stage I'm of the mindset that raising a puppy is a challenge no matter the property type and something I am looking forward to and want to be involved in, but this might change after I chat the breeder. I will see what they recommend, I have a million questions.. :laugh: The griffon has shot right up to my #1 breed of choice and it would hard to dissuade me <3 <3

Close and older friends of ours selected a Griffon. They were moving from suburbia in Sydney to the Central Coast.

THey had always had larger dogs but felt looking after them too much given their ages. ( at the time they were in their mid 60's).

End result was they got THREE Griffons.

They got choosen by one puppy when they went 'just to look'. As they stayed in touch with the breeder, they became re-home parents.

All the dogs lived the life of Riley.

May I wish you good luck with the visit. I will look forward to updates as well.

:)

Close and older friends of ours selected a Griffon. They were moving from suburbia in Sydney to the Central Coast.THey had always had larger dogs but felt looking after them too much given their ages. ( at the time they were in their mid 60's).End result was they got THREE Griffons. They got choosen by one puppy when they went 'just to look'. As they stayed in touch with the breeder, they became re-home parents.All the dogs lived the life of Riley.May I wish you good luck with the visit. I will look forward to updates as well. :)

Three griffons!.... A girl can only dream

And lots of photos!

Cheers guys, and will do! Have a good chrissy

Just to play devil's advocate and because I obviously think they are gorgeous, how about a Chinese Crested? Mine are very quiet at home, mainly only barking when the doorbell goes. They are smart little active dogs, but also very cuddly.

How could you resist this ;)

post-34105-0-08598500-1417579574_thumb.jpg

Although I have to say Griffons are just adorable too!

Griffons are in my list, then so are pugs, Bulldogs, frenchies, rottie and vizslas. In the end mutts just find me.

I describe your ilk as the best owners.

I know of several 'we found our Momma/daddy Mutts' and their life is wonderful.

So wonderful.

BTW, do you want a one year Vizsla boy???? He :heart: ladies

:rofl:

Well I do, but unfortunately evil bulldog would eat it. I never thought I'd like a viszla but I walk a friend of mines every now and then. I find them very easy to tune into. I love my big ole dopey mutt type dogs but the viszlas seem to know that and become that. Chameleon dogs.

Just to play devil's advocate and because I obviously think they are gorgeous, how about a Chinese Crested? Mine are very quiet at home, mainly only barking when the doorbell goes. They are smart little active dogs, but also very cuddly.

How could you resist this ;)

post-34105-0-08598500-1417579574_thumb.jpg

Although I have to say Griffons are just adorable too!

Beautiful! Looks like a pony :) I'll keep them in mind on the off chance that I don't get on with the griffs ;)

Well I do, but unfortunately evil bulldog would eat it. I never thought I'd like a viszla but I walk a friend of mines every now and then. I find them very easy to tune into. I love my big ole dopey mutt type dogs but the viszlas seem to know that and become that. Chameleon dogs.

:eek:

Have you meet Herbert already?

They do change according to kennel mates, I agree.

Another inside big dog with small yard here.

We adopted our GR at 2yrs & she refused to toilet on anything other than grass & had to be off lead. Tricky when we live in a tiny innercity terrace house with a tiny paved courtyard. So she had to be taken out for timed toilet trips, luckily we have a couple of small parks in our immediate vicinity.

It's not hard, it just becomes part of your routine. She's locked inside while we are at work all day so if we need to do something after work, we are committed to someone coming home to let her wee before going out again. I don't find that a hassle at all, it's just the way it is.

She gets a good amount of exercise too, we jog together most days, it's great for both of us.

Oh and as someone said, fetch is great exercise for indoor dogs! It makes it so much easier. :thumbsup: