Clipping An Elderly Dog

Hi

I would like some advice re Thumper, my elderly dog (12yo). He is a mixed breed, probably a spoodle, with a single coat which seems to be thinning over his back but he has a lot of hair on his legs and around his face which seems to collect burrs and prickles. I usually have him clipped about four times a year but I am wondering if it would be best if he just had his legs and face trimmed. The groomer who has been clipping him works from a mobile which I prefer because I don't like leaving him anywhere. I did ask her once about not clipping him so short and she said there's only the one way to do it. Any advice welcome!

2 things could be happening here.

1. Your dog's coat is too matted to leave in a longer clip

2. Your groomer is lazy and has no talent

To check the first point - can you get a comb easily through your dog's coat? If you can then it doesn't need to be cut short.

2 things could be happening here.

1. Your dog's coat is too matted to leave in a longer clip

2. Your groomer is lazy and has no talent

To check the first point - can you get a comb easily through your dog's coat? If you can then it doesn't need to be cut short.

Thanks for your reply. The coat is not matted at all on his back and it's not very long. It doesn't seem to be growing very fast there but the hair on his legs and face is quite thick. He does get matts between his back legs and behind his elbows(?) which I often just cut off. I suspect it may be your second option, but how do I find a good groomer? I don't want to leave him anywhere. I like to know he is safe. Is it usual to expect a groomer to only trim part of a dog? The groomers I have asked about it seem to think it is a weird request.

Only one way to do it hey? Here is a poodle x maltese, was kept in great condition by his foster carer so the body was clipped short with cute fluffy legs trimmed with scissors.

DSC06221_zps5d250a92.jpg

I would be finding another groomer who can do a longer cut all over to maintain a length that suits you and your dog.

With clippers you can go as short as a close shave up to 25mm with a snap on comb

I groom heaps of older dogs who get modifications of all sorts to their regular grooms as they age, due to mobility issues, hygiene issues, or changes in the coat etc. As long as the coat is in good condition and the dog is in good enough physical condition to cope, the groomer should be able to groom to your requests and requirements.

Thankyou for the replies. Leah the hair on his legs is about the same length as the dog in that photo which I think is too long because of the burrs etc. which he sometimes gets even around his mouth which must be painful for him. The hair on his back is almost a different texture from the rest of his body, not fuzzy poodle but more like a spaniel.

I will ring around today and see what I can find but I have tried it in the past and had no luck. I really don't want to leave him anywhere all day. I have heard some horror stories.

As long as I could physically do it (ie coat not matted) I did all sorts of weird requests. Shaved poodle feet and faces on Maltese type dogs for instance. Schnauzer clips on SWF.

You are just going to have to make sure you keep the grooming up on his body if you leave it longer.

Shaving a dog off is rather boring to do. It is heaps more fun if you have to do some scissor work.

I would reconsider leaving him somewhere, you will find some groomers will call you when he's done rather than being left all day.

You should be able to get some recommendations for your area, as your guy is getting older you want a groomer that will take their time and give your dog breaks, if they are happy for you to wait they are probably planning a rush job which sounds like what your current groomer is doing

Also I wasn't suggesting you get done what's in the picture, only that you are really only limited by your imagination (and the coat type) when it comes to grooming.

If you let me know your area I can put some feelers out on a dog groomer facebook group I'm a part of but you will probably need to leave him somewhere for at least a couple of hours.

I wish you were closer! I operate my salon on a one at a time appointment basis so a small fluffy is in and out in 1 to 1.5hrs, groomed start to finish by one person, me, no production line, no busy noisy salon. And I have a waiting lounge where clients are more than welcome to watch tv or play on their phones or whatever and wait in store while I groom their dog. I actually insist that owners of some of my seriously old wonky donkeys wait just in case. I wish more groomers were open to this style of grooming. It works better for me, the owner, and the dog, than the old all day production line style . Call around you will hopefully find a sympathetic groomer.

Thankyou everyone. My main worry about continuing with what I have been doing is that he could end up with bald patches on his back. The hair there is really starting to thin and it doesn't grow as fast as the rest of his coat.

GrufLife, yes I wish you did live near me. It would be so wonderful.

Leah I think the dog in that photo is gorgeous and looks so elegant. It just wouldn't suit here. Thankyou for your offer re Facebook. I will PM you my details.

A good groomer will use blades sizes according to the coat that part shouldn't be rocket science to a decent groomer & in all honestly unless matted a groomer should be explaining these options to you not the other way around .

I would suggest the groomers who think its weird are the fly by nights that groom the one method fits all :mad

Grooming part many groomers do especially in winter we often its just feet,bum & face no big deal .

Many elderly dogs thin out so when you groom you blend into what you have & it isn't any more hard work ,you may simply tip the ends if required but a good groomer grooms to whats infront of them

Definitely agree, Im a groomer here too and operate on the one dog at a time thing.

You can do whatever you want, i've had some obscure requests- but always follow them. There is definietly more than 1 way to groom a dog!

Guest crazydoglady99

Kylie from Shampooch (at Farrer shops) is really good. She's the only person I trust. We had a mobile groomer once. . I heard my dog yelping in the trailer!!

If you can brush & comb him every alternate day he will not get knots & then maybe you could scissor & trim him to suit yourself every few weeks. he doesn't have to be done with clippers.

It wont matter if you get it wrong a few times as dogs don't care about their hairstyle.

Practise makes perfect :laugh:

Your groomer sounds hopeless & lacking any creative flair for the job.

Christina makes a good point, doing my own home job dog got me into grooming in the first place.

It didnt start out too pretty- but not long after people started asking where i got him done! :D

Maybe give it a go yourself, plus then you get the ebenfit of being able to do what he can cope with and leave him to rest so hes not standing for so long.