Flying A Puppy From Aust To Nz

Ivory & Beau

My sister in law lives in NZ and is looking to add a Black/Tan Dobermann bitch to their family.

She has been in contact with a breeder in NZ with a litter but the lady has decided to keep the last black girl but has given Casey pick of the last Brown girl. Casey is pretty set on black. Which in my opinion is totally cool.

I have no idea about flying a pup to NZ [Auckland] in regards to approx cost. So can someone give me a rough cost?

My sister in law lives in NZ and is looking to add a Black/Tan Dobermann bitch to their family.

She has been in contact with a breeder in NZ with a litter but the lady has decided to keep the last black girl but has given Casey pick of the last Brown girl. Casey is pretty set on black. Which in my opinion is totally cool.

I have no idea about flying a pup to NZ [Auckland] in regards to approx cost. So can someone give me a rough cost?

I've had friends pay anywhere from $1800-$4000 for a puppy (including purchase price), customs can nail you with some nasty GST and transaction fees. The cost seems to vary based on who is working at the airport that day and how much they decide your dog is worth...

Aust to NZ is very expensive as the pup needs to have blood tests (about $250) whereas NZ to Aust is much cheaper. Less than $1000 for an adult bitch NZ to Aust, more than $1600 for her puppy to go back. This was without the GST nonsense which as Discodobe says, depends on who's on the counter. Dobes would probably be easier to come by in NZ than over here - she may need to be a bit more patient :)

Dobes certainly aren't uncommon here, there are pretty similar lines between the countries (unless your sister is specifically looking for working lines Dobes) and we do dock here (if she is looking for a natural puppy she is out of luck in NZ as there aren't really any decent breeders that leave tails on puppies).

Quick question on this one for anyone who knows (approximately) would you be looking at similar costs for a pet with a "low value" eg - Senior, desexed, mutt? or is that figure ("Over $1600) the rough cost to get a dog into NZ regardless of what it is.