How To Be Rude In Public

Stressmagnet

Stressmagnet I had/still have similar problems with people invading our space with themselves, other dogs and children. The best thing that worked for us was buying a Julius K9 harness and attaching patches that say "In Training". The Harness looks quite professional and they are used as police dog harness in Europe, combined with the patch people seem to actually stop and think now. There are a few different brands of harnesses that look like this.

My last dog had something similar without the patches, but it was enough as he was a yellow lab and I had people tell their children not to rush over because "see his harness that is a working dog". That wasn't my intention at all with my lab, but that experience made me buy this one for my current boy as being a "pretty" dog we get a whole heap of unwanted constant attention in public.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the easiest way to get space at a dog park - put your dog in a muzzle!!

Mine don't go to parks anymore (I bought acres instead, and we can go on lovely bushwalks close to home so I rarely have to worry about other dogs), but when they did, standard conversation went:

**Their dog starts charging up to mine*

Me: "Control your dog, call it away"

Them: "It's okay, he's friendly"

Me: "That's nice, mine's not!"

They'd get their dogs away in a hurry. It works even when I was out the ones who aren't fear aggressive too :D

Sounds like you are doing a great job and no they won't just grow out if it they need manners instilled as they don't come just knowing what we want. Unfortunately that is what you get, especially at dog parks. Don't worry about being rude, if you are training firmly tell them you are training and to get their dog or themselves out of his face, most times you just have to be rude!!!!!!!!

I was at a park a little while ago, no other dogs but there was a BBQ happening in one corner kids playing etcetc. I was training my dog - he is a very proficient off lead worker and ignores other dogs and people- in a quite corner. I had left him for a formal recall when this stupid cow walks up squealing how he is just like "" and calls him. I was like what the f is wrong with you, you have been watching me work this dog and heard me tell him to stay but that doesn't matter as you want to pat the whippet.

I called him and released him to say hello, he have her a cursory glance let her pat him then came back asking to work. People are just dumb!

IMO, the majority of folks use parks as a place for R&R ..and for their dogs to "play with others" .

Someone expecting to work seriously and undisturbed ? A rare happening!

I suggest buying/using one of these - how are folks/and their dogs to know to give you a wide berth otherwise?

training-dog.jpg

Well off lead area or not it is an offense to let your dog charge up to any dog or person uninvited. Honestly the world if full of morons if people need a dog that is clearly being trained to wear a harness to say that but sadly that seems to be the case. Off lead dog parks are the worst thing to ever happen to dogs.

Stressmagnet you are doing a great job and there is no need to be polite to those who clearly have no manners and have no idea how to train a dog. Personally I carry a short stockwhip and crack that at any approaching dog. Most stop at the noise but if they don't they get a decent whack with it. The idiot owners tend to get the message too when they find their dog heading for a stockwhip. A shame really as it is the owners that need the whack with the whip.

IMO, the majority of folks use parks as a place for R&R ..and for their dogs to "play with others" .

Someone expecting to work seriously and undisturbed ? A rare happening!

I suggest buying/using one of these - how are folks/and their dogs to know to give you a wide berth otherwise?

training-dog.jpg

Well off lead area or not it is an offense to let your dog charge up to any dog or person uninvited. Honestly the world if full of morons if people need a dog that is clearly being trained to wear a harness to say that but sadly that seems to be the case. Off lead dog parks are the worst thing to ever happen to dogs.

Stressmagnet you are doing a great job and there is no need to be polite to those who clearly have no manners and have no idea how to train a dog. Personally I carry a short stockwhip and crack that at any approaching dog. Most stop at the noise but if they don't they get a decent whack with it. The idiot owners tend to get the message too when they find their dog heading for a stockwhip. A shame really as it is the owners that need the whack with the whip.

You Go!! :whip: