Barking Dogs

Loving my Oldies

What I don't get - there is someone HOME NEXT DOOR ALL DAY. Do they not hear him? (Note: loathe to complain as they are really really great neighbours and have helped me out heaps since I kicked out my ex. So... Mustn't grumble).

I'd love to do something sneaky like this though if it would work!!! :D

I have something similar, SM. People home all day in a few houses where there are dogs and I have to wonder too. I am audiologically challenged :D and still hear all these dogs. If my dogs start barking and don't stop after a minute or so (they have to have some chats with the dogs around the place :laugh: ), I'll stop them.

I do not understand how people can let their dogs bark incessantly if they are home. Fortunately, one family has sold up and moved, so I am not longer stressing about two little Maltese crosses who are shut out of the house all day and every day.

These have been around for some time - you can get the ultrasonic devices for indoor use as well. I didn't find it worked indoors and I wonder about the outdoor ones effecting your own dogs as well? Its like any of these gadgets - some dogs respond and others don't, its trial and error.

According to my recent research the ultrasonic devices are the lowest level bark deterrents. They may be effective on some softer natured dogs but are designed more to distract the dog from whatever they are barking at rather than providing a negative consequence for barking. So if the dog had a reasonable drive to bark it won't be enough.

Next level is the vibration collars but they are similarly meant to distract rather than actually punish the behaviour. Then comes puff of air collars, then citronella or lemon spray collars then electric shock collars.

What is necessary to be effective depends on the individual dog.

Well that's my understanding anyway!

These ultrasonic devices can be successful on timid and responsive dogs. However,

• on more determined or driven breeds
  • where there is more than 1 dog (1 dog barks, but ALL dogs get correction)
  • where there is colourbond fencing
  • where there is a large area (these units have a limited rang

In these situations, these units usually aren't very successful. All that said, this is one of the only options to address the barking of neighbours dogs.

We wrote this article about devices to address dog barking, here is an excerpt;

Ultrasonic Collars/Devices: These collars emit an inaudible ultrasonic tone. It is piercing for dogs, though humans cannot hear it. When your collar detects your dogs bark (or another dog's bark...unfortunately) via a built in microphone, it goes into action! Unfortunately many dogs become used to the ultrasonic tone and continue barking after a short time of using the product. We only recommend them as an alternative for young small dogs with low drive or a timid temperament.

51.jpg

Spray Anti Bark Collars: Collars that fire out a burst of Citronella spray after detecting your barking dog are referred to as Spray Collars. Citronella Collars are the most well known but may not be the most effective alternative. Citronella collars are microphone activated (that's right any loud noise can set them off) and the Innotek and PetSafe basic models on the market are classified as weatherproof (not waterproof!!).

citronella_anti-bark_collars.jpg

The PetSafe Big and Little Dog models are waterproof and activated by neck vibration and microphone, meaning no accidental corrections. Big and Little Dog spray collars also spray a more direct spray making them more effective in windy conditions. Spray collars are reasonably effective for many dogs (approx 70% effective). However we do not recommend them for stubborn or working dog breeds as they often get used to the spray and bark through the spray. They are also a little more expensive to run as spray refills are required.

Static/Electric Collars: This variety of anti-bark collar is widely regarded as the most effective (98-99% effective). Static bark collars for dogs also come in a wide variety of models for small dogs to large stubborn dogs. There are also options for rechargeable or replaceable batteries. All Static models are activated by a vibration sensor that is in contact with the dog's neck and is activated by the dogs bark and in some cases combining with a microphone sensor for extra reassurance. Electric bark collars are far more advanced than in years gone by, with automatic cut out switches and variable settings to find the right operating mode for your dog.

SBC-10R-On-Dog.jpg

We recommend that when using any type of anti bark collars that they should NOT be worn all day (10-12hrs max). This is for your dogs welfare. If you have any questions regarding this information, please feel free to message me.

Bark Control Australia

Thanks BCA. I came across your website when I was researching and found it useful. Would you be able to elaborate on why collars should not be worn for more than 10-12 hours per day?

ETA - don't worry, I think I've found why. The manual says it's to avoid the risk of pressure sores/injury.

Edited by Simply Grand